Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 98se cd

• 16-12-2004 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a windows 98se cd rom? Is it available for download anywhere?

I am trying to install the netopia caymen modem which comes with eircom broadband. I am being asked to insert the windows cd rom as some files are missing. Is it enough to download just the files it requires rather than having to sourve the cd??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Somebody giving you a location to download it from would be illegal :(

You should have the cd from when you bought the pc, otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to buy a new one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 tubes

I wouldnt want anyone to give me the location of a free download, I'm willing to pay to download it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You would have to pay microsoft the cost of a license, and since they don't sell 98 or have any media kits then you would have to upgrade to a downgradable license. To get a downgradable license you would need to buy at least 5 copies of windows through a licencing program..

---

If you have a machine with an OEM license for 98 ie. with the cert of authentication on it then you are of course entitled to use 98 on that machine. If the machine did not come with 98 OEM and you don't have a transferrable license (eg: an upgrade copy of 98) with it's cert then you arent allowed to use it.

If it was an oem setup an the disk was never wiped then the files will be in c:\windows\options\cabs
    or if you had a network installed on it before they will be in
    c:\windows or c:\windows\system
    or if someone like me setup the machine they will be in c:\win98

Individual driver files can be downloaded, but since there are literly 100's of the things no one could help you without knowing the name of the file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Just a side note. <more of a long shot>

Try searching for the diff. file names it is asking you to look for.
    If it is asking for the disk, click browse and then look at the file name it is asking you to find.

Do a search then for that filename

point being it could be in a different location than where the CD thinks it is.

IF all else fails, borrow a CD from someone for the duration of the install.
    or ask a friend to burn you a copy.

As Capt'n Midnight said.
    If you have a machine with an OEM license for 98 ie. with the cert of authentication on it then you are of course entitled to use 98 on that machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Yeah that's right... I thought i heard that as well..
    Shouldn't be a problem copying the 98 disk from someone else as long as you have and use your own license...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

2 things!!! Firstly you MIGHT have a copy on your hard drive.. try c:\windows\options\cabs. If you have it and it has .cab files then thats all you need.. hell burn a copy of them and its almost a windows cd.. its enough to install anyway.. just no extras like crap videos etc.

Second... if not.. try just pointing the installer to c:\windows\system32 and/or c:\windows\system as most files are probably in windows so dont need the CD.

Oh if your system is OEM and as it was from a manufacturer you might have cab files somewhere else so just search for *.cab

Advertisement