Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Columbia 3 given 17-year sentences

Options
  • 16-12-2004 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4102737.stm
    Three Irishmen initially acquitted of training Marxist rebels in Colombia have now been sentenced to 17 years following an appeal.

The prosecution successfully appealed the acquittal of Niall Connolly, Martin McCauley and James Monaghan.

Arrest warrants have been issued for the three men, who have remained on bail in Colombia.

The three, who had been accused of being IRA members, were found guilty of travelling on false passports.

They were acquitted of the more serious offences by a lower court earlier this year, but the Colombian Attorney General has now successfully appealed against that decision.

Catriona Ruane of the Bring them Home campaign called on the Irish Government to intervene and would bring in international groups.

Sinn Fein's Catriona Ruane and Gerry Kelly were shocked at the verdict

"This is a political decision and a blatant miscarriage of justice," said the Sinn Fein assembly member.

A judge had ordered them to remain in the country pending an appeal by the prosecution against their not guilty verdict on training Farc guerillas.

The Colombian court system goes into recess on Friday, and the men's lawyers are expected to see them within the next day.

It is understood there is one final step in the legal process open to the men, an extraordinary appeal to the Supreme Court.

The earliest that any appeal can be lodged is mid-January.

McCauley, 41, is from Lurgan in County Armagh, Monaghan, 58, is from County Donegal and Connolly, 38, is from Dublin.

The three had been detained at Bogota's El Dorado airport in August 2001 as they were about to board a flight out of the country.

Their arrest led to speculation that Irish republicans had formed links with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (Farc).

The main charge against them was that they had been teaching the rebels the techniques of urban terrorism.

The Irishmen strenuously denied this, saying they were in the area to monitor the fledgling peace process as well as being eco-tourists.
    Sinn Féin complaining about the criminal justice system being influenced by political considerations, that's quite a change of heart for them. They seem to have no problem with prison sentences being altered for political reasons in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Shocking stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh wrote:
    Sinn Féin complaining about the criminal justice system being influenced by political considerations, that's quite a change of heart for them. They seem to have no problem with prison sentences being altered for political reasons in Ireland.

boom boom! Tshhhhhhhhhh! "I thank you" :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Shocking stuff
    Absolutely.

I await the swarms of anti-Sinn Féiners who try to justify these men; who it seems are going to be falsely imprisoned. Probably the same people who were up in arms about the visitors at Guantanamo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

There's been a "Bring them home" campaign ongoing but I think it would be a good idea to set up a "Leave them there" campaign.
    What was the reason they gave for being in Columbia on false passports again?? Observing the peace process or something...... what a load of sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Niall Binead, also known as Niall Bennett, (aged 35), of Faughart Road, Crumlin and Kenneth Donohoe, (aged 26), of Sundale Avenue, Mountain View, Tallaght, both Dublin, were convicted at the Special Criminal Court last week after their arrest on October 10, 2004.
    Mr O’Snodaigh previously described Binead’s conviction as unsafe.
    Link

Could SF please supply us with a list of convictions that they consider unsafe?
    (Kangaroo courts included)

What changes would they like to see in our justice system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Cork stay on topic please there is another thread about that issue running !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

There is part of me that has some sympathy for these men. No wait, it's just indigestion. Why were they travelling false passports? What were they doing in a FARC controlled area? And nobody should forget the sort of atrocities FARC have been responsible for.

Plus anyone that votes Sinn Féin does not have a right to talk about injustices, when we know the type of respect the Shinners had for justice in the past, i.e. the bullet-in-the-head style of justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭BCB

Deary me im a bit suprised that the usual anti Republicans have not been on gloating about this....this is terrible news and a gross miscarriage of justice..i sincerly hope the Irish Goverment appeal this at the highest level :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Had they travelled on other than British passports I would feel more sympathy for them.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

gross miscarriage of justice

Perhaps you should shed some light on the matter and persuade folks..

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

BCB wrote:
    this is terrible news and a gross miscarriage of justice..
    Yeah, because their perfectly valid reason for hanging out with rebels on false passports was... damn, I forget. What was it again? Oh yeah, eco-tourism. I was thinking of taking a raft through the rainforests myself next year - anyone know where I'd pick up a dodgy passport?
    BCB wrote:
    i sincerly hope the Irish Goverment appeal this at the highest level :mad:
    Absolutely. This could cripple the Irish false-passport industry.

Ian Paisley Jr. has called the event an "early Christmas present" for the people of N. Ireland.

It seems that this holds true to most of the people here too.

Irrespective of the innocence or guilt of these men (of training FARC rebels), there are many here who will be rejoicing anyway as it will add that little bit extra to their point scoring.

This is a black day for justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

This is a black day for justice
    Why?

BuffyBot wrote:
    Have you been following the story at all? The three men were acquitted in a Columbian court of terrorism charges, however they were found guilty of travelling under false passports. For this crime; they were sentenced to the time that they had already spent in jail and a fine in the thousands of pounds. The Columbian government have now reversed that decision (without any new evidence may I add) and now the men are facing 17 years in prison.

SkepticOne wrote:
    Why?

Because there was no evidence

Statement from an indepnedent obsever
    'This process has been tainted from the outset. There is no substance to the charges, and the lengths to which the U.S, Colombian and British governments have gone to subvert the defendants' rights clearly demonstrates that the purpose of this trial is not to establish the 'material truth' as to the allegations. While the political pressure to convict is intense, the prosecutor's case is characterized by the utter absence of reliable, credible evidence. Indeed, the reliance on fabricated forensic evidence and false testimony is in itself evidence that the training charges are without substance.'

Natalie Kabaskalian
    Attorney at Law, New York

They were acquitted but this has now been overturned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

oscarBravo wrote:
    Yeah, because their perfectly valid reason for hanging out with rebels on false passports was... damn, I forget. What was it again? Oh yeah, eco-tourism. I was thinking of taking a raft through the rainforests myself next year - anyone know where I'd pick up a dodgy passport? Absolutely. This could cripple the Irish false-passport industry.

there is a very valid reason for travelling on a false passport if travelling on your own is extremely difficult because of your politics

and they visited the farc controlled area during a ceasefire and while talks were ongoing with the columbian government

the guy who alledgedly changed sides and gave evidence against the men was completely discredited and the judge who heard the case found them not guilty of the training terrorist charges

of course they are republicans so in some peoples eyes they are guilty of something

cdebru wrote:
    there is a very valid reason for travelling on a false passport if travelling on your own is extremely difficult because of your politics
    You're going to have to elaborate on that. What would have happened had they traveled on their own passports? And do others who share their political beliefs use false passports to travel to (say) Ibiza?
    cdebru wrote:
    of course they are republicans so in some peoples eyes they are guilty of something
    They're certainly guilty of travelling on false passports. You can justify it all you want (and I'm looking forward to hearing it) but it's seriously dodgy behaviour.

oscarBravo wrote:
    They're certainly guilty of travelling on false passports. .

So they should be convicted of training FARC rebels on the basis of false passports? 17 years???

cdebru wrote:
    Hmmmm. Not travelling is a good option too.
    Travelling on a false passport.

Travelling on a false BRITISH passport, even.

How about a compromise where the Brits ask to get them extradited to the UK and do them for possesson of stolen property of the Crown, lets say 7 years each and we ALL accept that the Brits have them bang to rights :) . That gets them out of Columbia but they must accept that they are ODCs for the duration. By travelling on British documents (irrespective of provenance) they have lost the right to trouble the Irish tax payer . The Brits will keep them safe while they do their time. I'm sure the Columbians will accept the deal.

They travelled "at a delicate time for the peace process".
    They were arrested "at a delicate time for the peace process".
    They were on pretrial "at a delicate time for the peace process".
    They were on trial "at a delicate time for the peace process".
    They were convicted "at a delicate time for the peace process".
    They lost their appeal "at a delicate time for the peace process".

I for one am sick of them and of the "delicate time for the peace process", the flutes ! .

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

im afraid that i have to point out once again that there is no evidence whatsoever to prove that these men were guilty of anything other than travelling to a country using false passports thats it.... no evidence except one discredited "eye" witness- please keep to the facts people and not your own version of events. Travelling on false passports does justify 17Years in a columbian prison.

So they should be convicted of training FARC rebels on the basis of false passports?
    I specifically didn't say that. I responded to cdebru's assertion that "in some peoples eyes they are guilty of something" - implying that they are guilty of nothing. This is clearly not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The fact they were travelling on false passports does not automatically mean they were "up to no good" as some people would put it. Republican ex-prisoners frequently take this recourse owing to the fact they would not be let into other countries, it is common procedure and by no means implies anything at all really. A man was held in America last year using a false passport to visit his brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭BCB

BuffyBot wrote:

It seems someone already beat me to it regarding an explanation........

FTA69 wrote:
    The fact they were travelling on false passports does not automatically mean they were "up to no good" as some people would put it.
    however they were found guilty of travelling under false passports.
    cdebru wrote:
    there is a very valid reason for travelling on a false passport

But false British passports I ask again.

They should extradite ther own asses straight into the British embassy in Bogota, confess the false British passport gig and let the Brits get them out of there. The Brts can hardly stand by if they have signed confessions of that sort can they ?

My other 2c :)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

BCB wrote:
    i sincerly hope the Irish Goverment appeal this at the highest level :mad:
    What is the Irish government supposed to do about it? They were travelling on British passports.

oscarBravo wrote:
    You're going to have to elaborate on that. What would have happened had they traveled on their own passports? And do others who share their political beliefs use false passports to travel to (say) Ibiza? They're certainly guilty of travelling on false passports. You can justify it all you want (and I'm looking forward to hearing it) but it's seriously dodgy behaviour.

for the reasons already mentioned one as republicans some ex prisioners they would attract the attention of british and american security services
    also i dont know how they got to columbia but chances are they had to travel through a third or more country access to some countries can be difficult if you have been convicted of "terrorist offences" as can even getting a plane ticket

as for british passports what is the point they would look more suspicous travelling on an irsh one even false irish given the history of false irish passports with that guy in the embassy selling them that time and the IRish government selling them to anyone with a spare million i presume they believed the British passport would not attract as much attention

as for why they were there I dont know about anybody else but as someone with an interest in armed struggles around the world i would be very interested in meeting these people to see first hand what their struggle is about as i would be interested in meeting palestinians for example

oscarBravo wrote:
    I specifically didn't say that. I responded to cdebru's assertion that "in some peoples eyes they are guilty of something" - implying that they are guilty of nothing. This is clearly not the case.
    obviously they are guilty of travelling on false passports i dont think any one is arguing that
    what i meant was that because they are republicans then there is a presumption that they were up to no good even if there is no evidence to suggest that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

At the beginning of this I didnt feel sypmathy for these guys but its pretty damn clear that going to Columbia on false passports and spending time in a FARC controlled area is seriously shoddy behaviour-now I feel even less due to the pathetic excuses they offered up for what they were at.

I hardly think that it was during a cease-fire has much bearing on things considering these were IRA men-you dont stop training an army just cause of a cease fire-pretty much glad to see them stay where they are-"bring them home" indeed....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

cdebru wrote:
    for the reasons already mentioned one as republicans some ex prisioners they would attract the attention of british and american security services
    also i dont know how they got to columbia but chances are they had to travel through a third or more country access to some countries can be difficult if you have been convicted of "terrorist offences" as can even getting a plane ticket

as for british passports what is the point they would look more suspicous travelling on an irsh one even false irish given the history of false irish passports with that guy in the embassy selling them that time and the IRish government selling them to anyone with a spare million i presume they believed the British passport would not attract as much attention
    You know what's even more suspicious than travelling on an Irish passport? Travelling on a fake passport, that's what.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement