Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speeding ticket question

Options
  • 16-12-2004 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

ok here's the deal, one of the lads here at work got a ticket in the post the other day. thing is he sold that car during the summer so ovbiously it wasn't him. he traded the car in against the one he has now. now if the ticket came to him then i would assume the change of ownership was never processed (or possibly never even posted). any one know what he needs to do or who he needs to talk to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My sis similar had a similar type of problem - speeding ticket associated with her car apparently. She contacted Gardai first. They obliged and wiped it. Then I'd say get on to crowd in Shannon. Look up www.environ.ie for phone number. Think it's a LoCall number. See how that goes. I guess your mate must have insurance and tax info that could prove this as well ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

cheers. i've told him to go to the guards and explain the situation. what i'm thinking myself is that the guy he traded the car to never sent off the forms.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

cheers. i've told him to go to the guards and explain the situation. what i'm thinking myself is that the guy he traded the car to never sent off the forms.

Eh- normally its the person who sells the car who sends off the forms.....
    Thats the way I have always done it- and its what any reputable garage will guide you to do.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is the sellers responsibility to ensure that the transfer is made, otherwise they could end up in the brown stuff as was seen here and also with the post recently where the German imported (unregistered) BMW was sold to a skanger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

cheers lads. i dunno if he's even recieved the cert for his new car. bear in mind though this isn't a garage but a private trader. personally i'd be inclined to just go the the guards with the reciept for sale and pass on all the other fellas details.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭dark_knight_ire

Seen this a good bit and really it should be made known to the person selling that HE MUST SEND OFF THE FORMS, if the person you sold the car to is sound there won't be a problem. Its just in future be careful. If someone say offered cash for an old car and used it for any number of things you as the registered owner are the fall guy. Its an offence under the Road Traffic Act not to send off the forms. But as i said its rare the fella you sold the car to would not take the blame, if he was to say i don't know who was driving it then mate you may be hit with points (but thats rare) explain to the garda and contact the guy you sold it to and the DOE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Seen this a good bit and really it should be made known to the person selling that HE MUST SEND OFF THE FORMS

On the old pink logbooks it did specifically say this, I presume it does on the current registration form also.

I sold an old car to a skanger a few years ago. I made sure he filled in his details (although they were barely readable and could have been false for all I know) on the renewal form and sent them off myself. He was very quick to offer to do it himself, yeah right, no thanks mate.

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭dark_knight_ire

John R wrote:
    On the old pink logbooks it did specifically say this, I presume it does on the current registration form also.

I sold an old car to a skanger a few years ago. I made sure he filled in his details (although they were barely readable and could have been false for all I know) on the renewal form and sent them off myself. He was very quick to offer to do it himself, yeah right, no thanks mate.

A few weeks ago i was involved in an accident with a car that was been used to rob a post office, the driver feld but the car was registered to a guy in dublin when asked he said he sold it to (have to be correct how i say this) members of the travelling community they gave him cash. Now he faces the courts for not doing the paper work. You just never know if someone offers u cash what the car might be used for always air on the side of caution

Advertisement