Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged for free trial...what's going on??

• 16-12-2004 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Why the hell have I been charged for my 'free' 2 month trial with eircom....

This is exactly the question I will be asking them tomorrw, but for now....has anyone else been done like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yes! just got the bill today! Charged €151 extra for the "free" broadband trial
    What the hell are you ppl in eircom on????
    And they charged me an extra €20 for a single replacement microfilter (the Y one) that costs about €3 in the shops! I will be ringing them tomorrow aswell.. They shouldnt be allowed get away with stuff like this..l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Eircom's billing system is very confusing to say the least. You aren't strictly speaking charged for the trial if you read all three pages of your bill carefully, it is credited back on one of the pages but they do assume you will continue beyond the 2 months and therefore you are billed for that. If you then cancel out of the trial before the 2 months are up, you still have to pay for broadband for the next 2 months and get a rebate on your next bill. This is very typical practice of Eircom, they are not a customer focussed company and never were and I doubt will ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Repli wrote:
    about €3 in the shops!
    which shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Well they're really really simple devices, just a low pass and high-pass filter, former going to phone socket, latter to DSL socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

The instant I seen "Charged for free trial...what's going on??" heading in the last 20 posts I knew it had to be Eircom. :mad:

I have nothing to do with that company anymore thank God, I moved my phone bill to Smart Telecom which I also can pay my line rental with also. I have my BB with NTL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodo

My heart goes out to you finding out that you have opted for eircom, even if it is for a free trial, they must be the most legal robbers in Ireland. The smallest download limit, whilst still emptying your pockets with the line rental. I had an exp with them a few years ago when they were charging £15 for the setup disc, and then charging you £15 a month for having the honour of using dialup !!! when it was eircom, and eircom.net, but they could bill you on your telephone bill, I cancelled after the trial month, and was charged 2 months later for something I hadn't used. Typical Eircom. They have absolutley nothing to offer as opposed to other bb suppliers except hassle. STEER WELL CLEAR of them, they are useless, try UTV if you can't get ntl BB, at least you'll have the option of 8GIG/16GIG limit, I have UTV and have never had any hassle, except one night when it was due to the eircom server acting up, and the resolution times were pushed back 2 hours at a time, but what do you expect from a pig only a grunt, again stay away from our great telco service if you want satisfaction, and no hassle

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Rodo wrote:
    .................... try UTV if you can't get ntl BB, at least you'll have the option of 8GIG/16GIG limit, I have UTV and have never had any hassle, except one night when it was due to the eircom server acting up, and the resolution times were pushed back 2 hours at a time, but what do you expect from a pig only a grunt, again stay away from our great telco service if you want satisfaction, and no hassle

As far as I am aware there never has been any public acknowledgement by UTV that Eircom were to blame for any of their many outages. When UTV refer to their 'provider' having problems they do not mean Eircom.

Not that I have any desire to defend Eircom I can assure you but on many occasions in the past people on here have jumped to the conclusion that Eircom were to blame for UTV's problems and this was not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

dub45 wrote:
    As far as I am aware there never has been any public acknowledgement by UTV that Eircom were to blame for any of their many outages. When UTV refer to their 'provider' having problems they do not mean Eircom.

Not that I have any desire to defend Eircom I can assure you but on many occasions in the past people on here have jumped to the conclusion that Eircom were to blame for UTV's problems and this was not the case.
    They use a UK based ISP as far as I know and Eircom's lines of course. They are more likely to be referring to their ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭TemplarBarna

Well eircom are history for me...tomorrow I'm phoning them to tell them they aren't getting their dosh..(the extra they added for the free trial, because they never told me this would happen.) SOme people have to budget themselves, and **** like this throwing in extra costs is not on....even if I will get it back in a couple of months, it still screws me up..... AND I'm closing my account with them completly. Bunch of robbin' f**ks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 femmedujour

Take it easy will you. Its hardly the end of the world. Karma karma karma karma karma etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

which shop?

Well they are a tenner in Peats if thats any good to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

Well eircom are history for me...tomorrow I'm phoning them to tell them they aren't getting their dosh..(the extra they added for the free trial, because they never told me this would happen.) SOme people have to budget themselves, and **** like this throwing in extra costs is not on....even if I will get it back in a couple of months, it still screws me up..... AND I'm closing my account with them completly. Bunch of robbin' f**ks..

Good man ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

dub45 wrote:
    Well they are a tenner in Peats if thats any good to you!
    Thanks, I've been meaning to go in there anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

The instant I seen "Charged for free trial...what's going on??" heading in the last 20 posts I knew it had to be Eircom. :mad:

I have nothing to do with that company anymore thank God, I moved my phone bill to Smart Telecom which I also can pay my line rental with also. I have my BB with NTL.

Me too. I find Smart very very cheap. My GF rang france for about 11 minutes and only cost 20c, or something crazyly cheap. NTL is very fast and has not limits >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

Thanks, I've been meaning to go in there anyway :)

Jasus, don't go to Peats. They are robbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

think there level of staff teck awareness has dropped a lot 2 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Rodo wrote:
    they must be the most legal robbers in Ireland

Only a little way behind the Irish Government ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did you ring them today?

Going by their T's & C's, they have absolutely no reason to charge you for the trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodo

dub45 wrote:

When I did phone initially, The Service rep didn't mention eircom, but when the resolution time had passed that I had been given, I phoned them again, and then the did actually mention eircom that was causing the delay. That's what they told me when I phoned them !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ahhh ..
    the pirates of parnell st,. for more years than we care to remember,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

There is a reference to this billing at the bottom of the Broadband FAQ's on the eircom.ie site

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Advertisement