Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 shooting video on Grafton st.

• 16-12-2004 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Today I went into town to do my X-mas shopping. I baught the band aid 20 single, and all my xmas presents. Then as i was walking up Grafton Street, I saw a huge crowd of people walking down the street with a TV camera filliming them all. I Looked a little closer and i saw BONO in the centre of the crowd. As the crowd walked past me and as I got to see him closer you could realy feel his presence. It was cool, everyone was shouting BONO and doing the peace sign at him. So any way I went off looking for more presents. After spending about 30 mintes in HMV I came out and saw them filming again in a little alley way.This time there were thousands of people crowded around the alley trying to get a photo, millions of flashes from cameras and camera phones. But you couldnt see much so I went off and did more X-mas shopping. When I was on my way back out to get the bus home I passed the alley again. This time they had finished stooting the video and he was out in the centre of the crowd waving and greeting people. I'm pretty tall and I couldnt see much, so I went into Dunes Stores behind where Bono was, which was practicaly empty. I stood becide four other people looking out including one worker in the shop who was standing in the window area. We were directly behind bono and the worker knocked on the window to get his attention and he turned around and waved at us. He pretended to loaf the window and stuff. There was a moment between the four of us and Bono where he acknolodged the four of us inside as people instead of members of a raging crowd of fans. After that he picked up some ones child in his arms and the family took a few photos, Im so pleased with myself right now
    :D
    Was anyone else there? What did you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

[Red Dwarf]What a guy... [/Red Dwarf]

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You saw Jesus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

one of my good friends was there. You wont believe this,but when they were shooting the video, they asked a few people to walk down the road behind bono in the background and my friend was asked with another guy to do it. So it went on and after they were finished, as you said he was waving to the crowd etc, and my friend went up and hugged bono. That has to be better than an autograph. They were shooting in the gaitey the other day, and another guy i know snuck in (dont ask how) and sat around backstage, watching the going on's. Got bonos autgraph too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Only Human wrote:
    Today I went into town to do my X-mas shopping. I baught the band aid 20 single, and all my xmas presents. Then as i was walking up Grafton Street, I saw a huge crowd of people walking down the street with a TV camera filliming them all. I Looked a little closer and i saw BONO in the centre of the crowd. As the crowd walked past me and as I got to see him closer you could realy feel his presence. It was cool, everyone was shouting BONO and doing the peace sign at him. So any way I went off looking for more presents. After spending about 30 mintes in HMV I came out and saw them filming again in a little alley way.This time there were thousands of people crowded around the alley trying to get a photo, millions of flashes from cameras and camera phones. But you couldnt see much so I went off and did more X-mas shopping. When I was on my way back out to get the bus home I passed the alley again. This time they had finished stooting the video and he was out in the centre of the crowd waving and greeting people. I'm pretty tall and I couldnt see much, so I went into Dunes Stores behind where Bono was, which was practicaly empty. I stood becide four other people looking out including one worker in the shop who was standing in the window area. We were directly behind bono and the worker knocked on the window to get his attention and he turned around and waved at us. He pretended to loaf the window and stuff. There was a moment between the four of us and Bono where he acknolodged the four of us inside as people instead of members of a raging crowd of fans. After that he picked up some ones child in his arms and the family took a few photos, Im so pleased with myself right now

*shudder* you could feel his presence ? ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

CuLT wrote:
    You saw Jesus?

roffle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭blobert

Seeing Bono always makes me feel slightly unwell. I'm not sure what it is about him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

A friend of mine was over in New York recently. She was walking down the street when she saw a large crowed and lots of screaming. She shít herself thinking (as you would) it was another terror attack. Then she saw an open truck with U2 on the back. She said it was very surreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Only Human wrote:

I think you need to get out more. His **** smells the same as everyone elses, tax dodging ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Roflol you felt his presence?!?!?! Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

I dont see what the deal is of being around some gimp from ballymun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Ah.... smell that good old jealousy again, and don't forget the begrudgery, cynicism and pure hate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

too true. Makes you proud to be Irish..................................

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Only Human wrote:
    you could realy feel his presence.

So what's he getting for Chrimbo?

Badoom, and indeed tish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

So what's he getting for Chrimbo?

Badoom, and indeed tish.

There should be a vomitting smiley :D

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Ah yes, always rears its ugly head in these situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

ChRoMe wrote:
    I dont see what the deal is of being around some gimp from ballymun.
    He's not from Ballymun, he's from Cedarwood Road, which was always one of the better parts of Finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Ah.... smell that good old jealousy again, and don't forget the begrudgery, cynicism and pure hate.

You mean in relation to Bono or in relation to the person who started the thread?

FWIW I was there too, and while I have had both my hate-Bono and love-Bono periods I had never actually seen him. In fairness to him and to U2, they never forget that they are Irish and they have chosen to set another of their videos around Dublin.

I also noted that he did two things yesterday that impressed me. First off, he addressed the crowd before the scene, personally asked for their co-operation in the shoot and managed to crack a joke or two. At the end when he arrived at the alley to Lillies (where shooting stopped), he made sure to clap and wave to everyone around, thanking them for their co-operation.

If he was such a primadonna, he could have opted to ignore everyone, or even shot the video in a studio or somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh i was out getting a bit of late night shopping myself last night and i noticed the big crowd outside Dunnes Stores with some dude shotuing out of a microphone.low and behold it was the shoot for the new bono video.
    I dont understand how so many people would want to be around that tool. Everything he does is for his own benefit,all the charity work he does is a load of my boll0cks,hes just doing it to get himself known in other countries. The guy doesnt have a right to be Irish, Fukk off to america and die bono

Genghis wrote:
    FWIW I was there too, and while I have had both my hate-Bono and love-Bono periods I had never actually seen him. In fairness to him and to U2, they never forget that they are Irish and they have chosen to set another of their videos around Dublin.
    Bono said he wouldn't live here if he had to pay tax.
    I also noted that he did two things yesterday that impressed me. First off, he addressed the crowd before the scene, personally asked for their co-operation in the shoot and managed to crack a joke or two. At the end when he arrived at the alley to Lillies (where shooting stopped), he made sure to clap and wave to everyone around, thanking them for their co-operation.
    "Thanks for the free labour you mugs!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

In case any foreigners are reading this, just to bring you up to speed: Criticise U2 in anyway shape or form = you are a begrudger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Yeh i was out getting a bit of late night shopping myself last night and i noticed the big crowd outside Dunnes Stores with some dude shotuing out of a microphone.low and behold it was the shoot for the new bono video.
    I dont understand how so many people would want to be around that tool. Everything he does is for his own benefit,all the charity work he does is a load of my boll0cks,hes just doing it to get himself known in other countries. The guy doesnt have a right to be Irish, Fukk off to america and die bono

I supose him giving and rasising millions for starving people all around the world doesnt give him the right to be Irish. Any one who gives to the hungry this christmas should be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Wow, well I think the guys complaining on this thread *are* acting like begrudgers... Garth_V, where the hell is all this hatred from? You need to deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Redleslie2 wrote:
    He's not from Ballymun, he's from Cedarwood Road, which was always one of the better parts of Finglas.

Actually - it's Glasnevin North now. <Lives around the corner>. He was up here yesterday afternoon shooting for the video - a good few people around there met him, I was kicking myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Only Human wrote:
    I supose him giving and rasising millions for starving people all around the world doesnt give him the right to be Irish. Any one who gives to the hungry this christmas should be shot.
    you can honestly tell me that Bono would of done that if there was no publicity involved whatsoever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't really think it's begrudgery to mock someone because he says silly things like:
    as I got to see him closer you could realy feel his presence.
    There was a moment between the four of us and Bono where he acknolodged the four of us inside as people instead of members of a raging crowd of fans.

Bono, while very successful and talented (in many people's eyes) is still just a person, not a God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

A person who drains money off the state coz he doesn't pay tax.

The rich get away without paying tax, while the poorer are taxed up to the gills.

In reference to the begrudgery - it wasn't mocking of the OP, it was vehemently expressing his crazed hatred for Bono. I can picture his glazed over eyes as he typed the post just from reading this:
    GaRtH_V wrote:
    The guy doesnt have a right to be Irish, Fukk off to america and die bono

Now that's a guy with issues :)

GaRtH_V wrote:
    you can honestly tell me that Bono would of done that if there was no publicity involved whatsoever?

Who knows? Who cares? He's done a lot of good that wouldn't have been done otherwise. If his motivations weren't 100% altruistic, so be it.

Bono ain't the only rich person in the world not paying tax.

How about Roger Moore, Shirley Bassey, Ringo Starr, Karen Mulder, Eva Herzigova, Jacques Villeneuve, David Coulthard, Jenson Button, the retail tycoon Philip Green and the Barclay brothers, and hundreds of other celebrities and millionaires of one sort or another?

And that's just the ones who live in Monte Carlo :)

NoelRock wrote:
    Actually - it's Glasnevin North now.
    So I hear but I refuse to recognise it. :mad: Doesn't sound half as hard as Ballymun does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

GaRtH_V wrote:

I would say he would because he is taking full advantage of the situation he is in, where he is able to raise money and give to poor people. If anything id say he uses the media to help raise money rather than to gloat about giving it.

koneko wrote:
    Bono, while very successful and talented (in many people's eyes) is still just a person, not a God.

I never said he was a God, I only implied that he gave off a good ora. Everyones face lit up when they saw him. I never heard anyone say "oh no its Bono" In fact i did hear two guys who were stanfing ontop of a dumpster trying to get a glimps say "I dont even like Bono im just here to see him" Thats what I meant by presence. He draws people in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

GaRtH_V wrote:

He is just doing this to get know in other countries you say??? Now there's some logic for you....

Perhaps the fact that he is in one of the most famous rock bands in the world would be enough for him to be known in every country in the world anyway? No?

How much charity work have you done? Made any countries drop their debt owed to them by poorer nations? Didn't think so... muppet..

Advertisement