Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete spillages on road - getting them cleared up

Options
  • 17-12-2004 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭

Complaining works!
    A few months ago I rang Dublin City Council's Road Maintenance division about a few bumps I encounter on my cycle to work. I followed up my call with a letter describing the location and issue with each. I got a reply with a response to each issue - each location was examined, not a lazy "sorry, can't/won't fix" answer.

One item (on East Wall Road, Dublin 3) was determined to be concrete spillages from trucks from the Readymix concrete plant on that road. DCC said they would write to Readymix to tell them to clear it up.
    I got a copy of that letter today.

Here is the text of the letter. My favourite paragraph is the last one.
    I have received numerous complaints with regard to the concrete spillages on the carriageway on East Wall Road outside your plant entrance. I would ask that these obstructions be removed in the interest of safety for all road users and in particular cyclists

In future I would hope that a more regular cleaning process be put in operation to avoid unnecessary accidents occurring. The local Roads Maintenance Inspector will be monitoring this location over the next few months making reports on the condition of the carriageway.

In the meantime, you will be held liable for any accident claims that may arise as a result of your interference with the public roadway.

So, getting stuff fixed can be a bit of a hassle but sometimes it (eventually) gets done. Fair play to the person I dealt with at DCC Road Maintenance.

Advertisement