Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netstat! really useful tool in windows

Options
  • 17-12-2004 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

from the Langalist http://tinyurl.com/69qd8

Dear Fred, Sometimes I want to see what network connections my PC has made. Until recently I used a third party utility for this because the built in command NETSTAT showed connections, but not the program that created the connection.

XP has added new switches for NETSTAT that displays the open connection and the associated program(s). If you execute netstat -b -v from a command prompt, you get this new listing. This is a great way to find malware on your system. If your computer has a connection to a foreign address that you do not expect, with this option you can track down the program that has that port and address open.

Count me as another happy Plus! subscriber, Alan M. Kaplan

Thanks, Alan. Netstat is one of those non-flashy, but very powerful command line tools included with Windows--- it's in every version, all the way back to Win95--- but largely unknown to most users. The XP version is more developed than earlier versions, but you can see what your version of Netstat can do by opening a command window/DOS box (type "command" on the Start/Run line) and then typing

netstat /?

on the command line. The helpfile for your version of Windows may also have additional information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

its on MacOS too and much easier to use because its actually listed in Network Utilities. You can get a router's routing table with it too. Useful if your on a wireless network and want to see other peoples shares but dont know their IP. Saves you having to download an IP Scanner.

Advertisement