Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Leary contract extension

• 17-12-2004 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Wonderful news. I must say I feared the worst when the contract talks stalled. Usually at Villa, a stalemate between the manager and Chairman equals manager exit stage left....

FROM TEAMTALK.COM

Ellis to show boss the money

Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis is prepared to provide financial backing for manager David O'Leary in the transfer window after the Irishman signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract.

O'Leary has presented Ellis with a list of five players who are potential targets next month as he looks to bolster one of the smallest squads in the Premiership.

Ellis admitted that three of those players "could be made available" by their respective clubs when the transfer window reopens in a fortnight.

But one of O'Leary's chief targets, striker James Beattie, may not be available after Harry Redknapp insisted the player would not be leaving Southampton.

The other players likely to be on O'Leary's Christmas list are Andy Reid, John O'Shea, Mark van Bommel and Steed Malbranque.

And Ellis said: "Will David be able to bring players in? Subject to who we are talking about and the money being right, then the answer is yes.

"If you are saying will I back him, the answer is yes. Of the five players on the list he has given me, three could be made available. Although one of those is outrageously high, in excess of £9.5m.

"We are talking to the clubs about the possibility of doing something and we are still awaiting replies. If it is possible to obtain one or two players in January, I would be delighted.

"But, as long as I am chairman of Aston Villa we will never do a Leeds United. We are not on a level playing field with the Chelsea's and Manchester United's of this world but we are with the majority of the other clubs."

Ellis, who confirmed that a compensation clause had been inserted into O'Leary's contract should any clubs be interested in prising him away from Villa, has his sights firmly on a European place.

He said: "In two years' time we have got to be in Europe. That's where the real money is. I would love to be in the Champions League but I am a realist and even the Uefa Cup is profitable."

O'Leary is now committed to Villa until the summer of 2008 and Ellis has no doubts about his qualities as a manager.

He said: "I was confident about him before he came here. I have faith in George Graham and David learnt a lot from him at Leeds and he has done well here."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder who the player with the "outrageously high transfer value" is ??? ........ "in excess of £9.5m"???

And why is Ellis banging on about having faith in George Graham???? Has he gone mad altogether???

My only slight concern is the compensation clause inserted in the contract... With Souness already on thin ice, I wouldn't be at all suprised if Newcastle came sniffing soon.... Ellis is good at protecting his interests though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Great news that O'Leary has signed, nice to have an Irish man in the hotseat, I think you could be right about Newcastle do. If Newcastle let Souness go and Ellis has splashed out on at least 3 players then O'Leary could very well leave.

I' reckon Beatie is one who is above £9.5, Harry is not going to let him go. Steed Malbranque would be my preference for the first signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm jealous looking at that list and Ellis saying he is actually willing to bring a number of those in. I'd say Reid is almost certain to go to Villa. I was listening to the "Fans Zone" commentary when watching the Birmingham derby and the Villa fan didn't rate Barry at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Barrys form has dipped alarmingly alright. He was our player of the year the season before last, but he's gone steadily downhill since. Vassell is another who just hasn't done it for us at all and it wouldn't suprise me if O'Leary sold'em both.

I'd say we'll get Beattie and Reid in January. Both Southampton and Forest have or will have a new manager who'll be looking to strengthen in January to avoid relegation. Free transfers and loan signings are almost non-existent in the January window so both clubs will have to sell to raise funds. Redknapp admitted as much this morning....

Malbranque says he can't move in January coz his wife is expecting their first child. Life'll be hectic enough with the new-born without relocating to a new city at the same time. He'll be a summer target.

I don't think Beattie or Malbranque would be in the > £9.5m bracket at all. Rumours on the club messageboards sayin that it could be Anelka....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

wynters wrote:
    I don't think Beattie or Malbranque would be in the > £9.5m bracket at all. Rumours on the club messageboards sayin that it could be Anelka....

Oh dear god no!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Mark Van Bommel would be a fantastic signing and I reckon Andy Reid would be an excellent signing too.

I think Villa should stay away from strikers until the summer, they don't really need them as urgently as a couple of good midfielders or a midfielder and a good versatile defender.

John O'Shea would be a good signing too as he can play anywhere across the back four and Villa really really need cover there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

wynters wrote:

please gawd NO :eek:

I wouldn't mind Anelka at all. He's a guaranteed 20-a-season man - especially in an attacking side like O'Learys. Some players need a manager to put an arm around them instead of lock horns all the time. O'Leary is the master when it comes to handling players like that. Look at Viduka & Bowyer at Leeds, or even Angel at Villa - who'd made his mind up that he was leaving the club until O'Leary talked him round and got 26 goals out of him last term.... Anelka will go to Liverpool if they come in for him, but it looks as though Benitez wants Morientes.

I think one of the January signings will definately be a striker. We're creating the chances but we're just not converting them. If it weren't for the goals our midfielders have contributed so far this term (Solano 5, Hendrie 4, Hitz 2, McCann 2, Whittingham 1) we'd be a lot lower down the league than we currently find ourselves.

Cole will be a top player, but he's not ours, and he's still very raw - the ball tends to bounce away from him a bit too much, and Angel is clearly still not 100%. Vassell won't be a major improvement at all when he comes back in Febuary. He has pace to burn but he's the most frustrating striker you'll ever watch for the amount of opportunities he wastes.

There were rumours on the Skysports.com site this week linking us (and West Brom) with a move for Diego Tristan. He's been in & out of the Deportivo side all season and he ain't pleased. With 3 Spanish speaking players already at Villa in Angel, Solano and De La Cruz, we'd be an attractive option for him. He'd be lethal in the Premiership. Big strong lad..... experienced too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Just once it ain't anelka... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Point of Interest: O'Leary has never actually won anything......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Most managers haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Villa are rumoured to be interested in Robbie Keane who is priced at around £5-6m.

This is such a frustrating time of year.

Todays Mirror links us with Robbie Keane
    Todays Sun says we're after Gary Kelly for £300,000 in January
    and todays Daily Mail says we're going for Scott Parker regardless of his foot injury.

No to mention the on-going James Beattie saga and O'Leary & Ellis watching Andy Reid at Forest.

I cannot wait for January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Anelka could be a world class player in the right team, id love if o`leary signed him. Steed Melbranque would be a good option as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Titus Bramble will probably be available :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

wynters wrote:
    "If you are saying will I back him, the answer is yes. Of the five players on the list he has given me, three could be made available. Although one of those is outrageously high, in excess of £9.5m.
    That quote doesnt say that Villa are going to spend £9.5m on a player. In fact I would say Ellis is ruling out a move for the player. He says 3 could be available ALTHOUGH one has a huge fee, narrowing it down to 2 players. Just my 2c on the matter, I dont want to see any disappointed Villa fans come January ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

What we need most is a play maker and match winner. Steed Malbranque fits the bill. I like Beattie too, not convinced of Andy Reid and I don't think Van Bommel will come.

Anelka would be nice but he wants out of Man City for The CL so he won't like a move to Villa. His wages are too high anyway?

I will be happily surprised if we get 2 players in Jan.

Advertisement