Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fee for using ATM cards inside shops..

Options
  • 17-12-2004 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi
    I heard something on the radio this morning about people are being charged more to use the ATM machines that are inside shops, garages, pubs etc...
    Does anyone have more details on this ? Who charges what exactly?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, I heard that too. So where you get charged 15 or 20 cent for using bank ATMs, you can get charged up to €2.50 for using instore ATMs. I couldn't believe what I was hearing... I use those things all the time. Not any more....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

if they charge extra , afaik, they HAVE to put a notice on the atm,
    most i have used , in the garage i worked in and in a few local shops, have a sign saying no extra charge for this atm.
    on one of the its one of the images that appears on the screen like a screensaver.
    if i didnt see that id be a bit wary , also if it has a bank name on it it should be ok,
    i think its e-z-cash or some other dodgy name that charged 50c to 1.50 per transcation

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Chalk wrote:
    if they charge extra , afaik, they HAVE to put a notice on the atm.

Only if whoever owns it is a recognised credit institution, so any BOI , AIB etc, ATMs don't charge
    Chalk wrote:
    i think its e-z-cash or some other dodgy name that charged 50c to 1.50 per transcation

Yes these companies are not "credit institutions" so have no obligation to tell u anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

I heard that this was commonplace over in England alright and that there's a huge imbalance between those 'type' of atms as opposed to bank operated ones and that the fee's are much higher in comparison.

For some reason I never suspected that it was the same situation here, thanks for the tip - will be a bit more cautious now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I've used ones by AIB and Ulster Bank in shops and have been charged the standard rate. I was wary at first as I've used these machines living in New York and they do charge more but they always tell you before hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What a load of heresay. Has anyone here ACTUALLY been charged? I've used these machines stacks of times and never been charged. All the ones i've seen have been operated by BOI or Ulster Bank.

I have seen the 3rd party ATM's in the UK though. Major rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

eth0_ wrote:
    What a load of heresay. Has anyone here ACTUALLY been charged? I've used these machines stacks of times and never been charged. All the ones i've seen have been operated by BOI or Ulster Bank.

I have seen the 3rd party ATM's in the UK though. Major rip off!

eth0, spot on comment. I have used all the ATMs here in ROI and it is the standard charge unless some new crowd have new ATMs and are surcharging for them. But the main banks (BOI,AIB etc) are ok to use - they would have to apply for the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

From indo

THOUSANDS of unsuspecting consumers are being ripped off every day with massive charges for using new convenience ATMs.

And the country's banks could face yet another probe over their involvement in the over-charging.

New ATMs have sprung up in shops, pubs, cinemas, petrol stations and other outlets. Their charges are up to 10 times more than the standard bank ATMs.

Details of the latest consumer rip-off by the financial industry are contained in a letter from the Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority to Oireachtas Committee on Finance Chairman, Sean Fleming.

And with billions of euro in circulation for the Christmas shopping spree and the January sales looming, the backers of the independent ATMs are set to reap a financial killing.

Consumers using the easily accessible ATMs do not realise they are being hit for between €1 and €2.50 every time they take money from one the machines, compared to 20-30c for using a normal bank ATM outlet.

Fianna Fail TD, Mr Fleming, sought information about ATM charges but was astounded to discover the independent ATM installers are not subject to the definition of a credit institution in existing legislation governing bank charges.

IFSRA Consumer Director, Mary O'Dea, informed Mr Fleming that independent installers indicated they wished to impose charges ranging from €1 to €2.50.

Her letter added: "However, they also took the view that, as they were not credit institutions under the Act, they did not have any obligation to either notify the additional charges they wish to impose or comply with any direction issued."

Last night Mr Fleming said excessive charges were a "total disgrace". He agreed with the IFSRA that banks had to be "partly culpable" since the machines simply could not function without their involvement and co-operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

There is a private company rolling out ATMs in shops and pubs. I heard the MD on Newstalk106 last year. They were planning on placing a load of them arround the country.

He also mentioned that some banks were also doing the same thing but on a smaller scale. This would, I suppose, explain why some of you see actual bank ATMs, like the AIB ones in Dunnes in Cornelscourt. They expected to be placing many more machines than the banks though.

He said that initially they would be free but eventually a per transaction charge would be levied. Perhaps we are at that stage now.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

News article from fxcentre.com:

No evidence of ATM overcharging - IFSRA
    Friday, 17th December 2004 01.44pm

Financial watchdog, IFRSA today said it has no evidence that customers are being overcharged by convenience ATMs in practice.

The regulator was responding to media reports that convenience ATMs in pubs, shops and other outlets are charging up to 10 times more in fees than standard bank ATMs.

In a statement, the regulator pointed out that independent installers of these ATMs would not be in able to charge such fees without the involvement of a sponsoring credit institution. If so, any additional charges imposed for the use of such machines would require notification to the IFRSA by the sponsoring credit institution.

However, the IFRSA says that it has had no approaches from any independent installers on the issue nor has it received any related notifications from credit institutions proposing to impose

additional charges for convenience ATM transactions beyond the standard 20 to 30c fee.

"Furthermore we have received no complaints from customers in relation to additional charges levied by the operators of such ATMs. We have no evidence, therefore, to suggest that additional charges are levied in practice," the IFRSA said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I haven't seen anything on my statements so this is probably not true.

When I lived in the UK however, it was quite common for private ATMs to charge £1 or so. You got a little message saying that there was an extra charge and were you willing to continue. Whenever I go over on business I just look for a regular bank ATM.

Its possible that there is a plan to start surcharging in the new year - I doubt however, that this is accross the board just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've never seen a private ATM, only the ones run by Ulster Bank and BOI that you see inside shops and some clubs.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The "Times" on Saturday had an article about these machines in the UK and the charges were quite high. What was worse was that the banks were selling their ATM networks to these private companies. Of around 50k ATMs around 23K are privately run. Nationwide Building Scoiety seems to be running a campaign to keep the ATMs cheap to sue...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nationwide Building Scoiety seems to be running a campaign to keep the ATMs cheap to sue...

Yup. They threathened to sue Barclays et al last time they proposed charging another banks' customer £1 everytime they used a Barclays ATM. Wish we had someone like them here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

It's 60c or 40c. I've been charged before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

conZ wrote:
    It's 60c or 40c. I've been charged before.
    Where was this? Name and shame please.

Advertisement