Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pot Limit Omaha

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I think paddy plays as if the flop is an optional extra that you can ignore if you feel like it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think paddy plays as if the flop is an optional extra that you can ignore if you feel like it.

Either that or Dev is an optional extra that you can ignore if you feel like it :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I like both of those hahah...

Paddy is a howl, he's either a loony, a great actor or he utterly doesnt give a flying fook about the chips. He seems to do awfully well though, theres a brain in that baldy noggin and no doubt!

Ayiie Ayiie Oooh!!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Almost completely off topic but I really hate when older players make condensending remarks at the table, collette I forgive because shes cool, but one of the younger guys whos involved in the club (who I like normally) raised in EP with 34s, showed it to the table, and then launched into a tirade "wow look at me raising with low suited connectors you young guys play too tight you wouldnt get a move like that, too busy waiting for AK" all with a self satisfied smugness that put be so far on tilt I started playing better. He then called an all in for 3/4 of his chips with Q5s. Wow good move man.
    [/rant]

I was at that table, I remember those few comments (and my tactic with AK that night was to move all-in if no-one else had raised; my stack size all night suited that tactic).

Anyway, I think a lot of regular/experienced players are bemused at the amount of new players in the game in the past year, and even more worried that they can actually play some decent poker. Most old skool players don't consider pot-odds, etc, so I think the new guard actually threatens their belief in how poker should be played. Maybe it's a fear of being beaten by a newcomer. I've heard a few regulars comment on how they just don't know how to beat these 'young guys'.

Me, I fall somewhere between the two, so I've earned the respect of neither group. :)

BTW, thought the standard of poker in the Tuesday game was very high from all sides.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Funny you mention that. When I first joined the Fitz, the only person who regularly remembered my name was Luke (of course!). I didnt feel ostracized or anything but there was certainly a group of "young lads" who would huddle together outside for warmth having a smoke. (Oscar, Luke, JP, Samson, DD etc).

Pretty much all the regulars viewed us with a mixture of bemusement, contempt and curiousity. We lost horrendously to them. I remember the chuckles and comments when I first managed to make it to the final table of the 20-in (there were only 2 tables usually on Sunday evening). Then DD won the big one and every said "fluke". I won/split the 20 in three nights in a row, Vivian approached me outside and shared a smoke and a chat. Slowly there has been a weird melding of the "Terry Rogers" crowd who have been "playing this game 48 years, man and boy!" and the new whippersnappers.

I think part of the issue is the playing style. Before it was acceptible to put the boot in occasionally on a steal but it was viewed as such. The game was still fairly friendly even though they all play to win. Now we have Gus Hansen-alikes who raise every hand or so, bully all the time... pokers equivalent of punks who hang out on the corner and shout at grannies going to collect their pension for a laugh! :)

The tournies are much more competitive then they were before. Theres not as much of a "friendly game" any more though I've found that if you are willing to have a laugh and a slag back then you can quickly make a lot of friends.
    The most common complaint I hear now is that a lot of new players simply stick in earphones pull down their caps and communicate only through their bets.

Of course we're entitled to play how we see fit. But we should also be aware that we've effectively invaded what has, up until now, been a happy little community of maybe 100 players who all knew each other and each others styles... Respect for that (and the fact that we wouldnt HAVE a card club without them) doesnt cost anything.

I think they are getting used to the invasion although there is a certain amount of the WSOPism about it now... the field is so loarge sometimes now that getting several results in a row is just not possible really. I doubt I'd ever repeat my run of wins in the 20-in these days. The new players are happy to gamble with q5o and that means that even with AKs they can still easily knock you out.

Theres lots of them and only one of you! Its the "Attack Of The Squirrels" syndrome.

God, I got no work done today. :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

DeVore wrote:
    Then DD won the big one and every said "fluke".

Who said fluke? 1st, 2nd and 7th in the €250 in 12 months. I must be very lucky. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Who said fluke? 1st, 2nd and 7th in the €250 in 12 months. I must be very lucky.

This is an Omaha thead. Thats holdem. Hysepher; send this man back to prison for being off topic ;)

Good to see you back DD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

What are good starting hands in Omaha (especially in the fitz where any 4 will do)?

AAxx double suited, AAxx anytime at all?
    KKxx double suited, KKxx anytime at all?
    Is QQxx double suited worth a preflop call? Is QQxx?

A connected hand: Is 4567 up to JQAK always worth a call? What about 2345?

Pairs, is 66JJ worth it?
    What about a hand like KhTh Jc 8d, slightly connected, 2nd nut flush draw possibilities.

Suited gappers? 6h 8h 9s Js?

Any other hands that have value?

Advertisement