Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Draw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    thats a bit silly logic so it is.
    If Chelsea had come second they'd be playing Inter so therefore they should have come second?

easy to say with hindsight :)
    You can't compare them. A team is supposed to aim to win their group and win every match. Fergie thought he was being clever sending a second string to Turkey and it looks like it has cost him dearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Real Madrid v Juventus - Depends, if Real Madrid have Woodgate then they'll do it, Juventus have seriously lacked goals. Without Woodgate, Juve

FC Porto v Inter Milan - Inter

Barcelona v Chelsea - Barcelona

Werder Bremen v Lyon - Bremen

Liverpool v Bayer Leverkusen - Liverpool

PSV Eindhoven v Monaco - Monaco

Manchester United v AC Milan - Milan

Bayern München v Arsenal - Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:
    Fergie thought he was being clever sending a second string to Turkey and it looks like it has cost him dearly.

Am I missing something here ? Should United bother tog out at all for this match. I'v never seen such a load of crap posted about a fixture .I don't mean to single out Eirebhoy , I,m just using his quote as an example of the many of its type in this thread,.

On their day Man United are capable of beating anyone and always lift themselves for the bigger games. I am not saying they will definitely go through but by some of the comments here you'd think Utd shouln't bother tur n up for the game at all.

He should have played for the win is all I'm saying. Not because of the team they'd face but because they'd play the second leg at home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The Muppet wrote:
    On their day Man United are capable of beating anyone

no, best man utd team at the moment versus best barcelona,real,arsenal,chelsea,ac and juve will always result in the same thing utd losing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Real Madrid v Juventus - Real

Werder Bremen v Lyon - Lyon

PSV Eindhoven v Monaco - PSV

Bayern München v Arsenal - Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

no, best man utd team at the moment versus best barcelona,real,arsenal,chelsea,ac and juve will always result in the same thing utd losing.

Seems to make little sense to me considering a united team, missing keano beat arsenal?
    I'm somewhat confused, or are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The Muppet wrote:
    I believe united will go through but that said there's no point in staying in the comp if we're not good enought to win it. I'm looking foward to two cracking games no matter what the outcome.

Well, there is the money... :rolleyes:

Anyway, its nearly impossible to predict at the moment. The games are months away, and each team's form could have drastically changed by then. Who knows what might happen.

PHB wrote:

Seems to make little sense to me considering a united team, missing keano beat arsenal?
    I'm somewhat confused, or are you?

Indeed some people get so confused when it come to United they find it hard to see past their ABU blinkers and post tripe. I wonder why he didn't put Liverpool on the list? :D
    mr_angry wrote:
    Well, there is the money... :rolleyes:

Anyway, its nearly impossible to predict at the moment. The games are months away, and each team's form could have drastically changed by then. Who knows what might happen.

I have no doubt Fergie knew what the consequences of fielding a weakened team would be. I assume most of the money from the champions league is from gate receipts in the leaguse stages even if they do go out now United are only losing a couple of games.

I agree with you that its impossible to predict, I have been around long enough to realise that anything can happen to swing a game and to write off any teams chances at that level is plain stupidity .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

theres no doubt february will make or break our season.
    some massive games for us:

Arsenal (away)
    Mancity (away)
    Fa cup 5th round
    milan (home)
    carling cup final (supposing we get past chelsea, im by no means saying we will.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Real Madrid v Juventus - Juve

Werder Bremen v Lyon - Lyon

Manchester United v AC Milan - Utd

Bayern München v Arsenal - Bayern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Manchester United v AC Milan - Utd

Bayern München v Arsenal - Bayern

interesting.

Barcelona v Chelsea - Chelsea

Werder Bremen v Lyon - Werder

Bayern München v Arsenal - Arsenal (will be back to their best by then)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Pool to go through, United to go out without scoring, Chelsea to boss it at home and nick one away, Arsenal to play some great footy but struggle to find goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    thats a bit silly logic so it is.
    If Chelsea had come second they'd be playing Inter so therefore they should have come second?

easy to say with hindsight :)

Its not silly logic, had United won the group they would have drawn either, Porto, Weder Bremen, PSV, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, or Barcelona. Coming second they could have drawn AC Milan, Juventus, Inter, Leverkusen or Monaco.

I reckon that United could have very easily put out 5 of the 6 teams in the first category. I think they could only put out 2 of the 5 teams in the second category easily. Therefore by coming first, on average and not only in hindsight, they would have got an easier draw. Would you not agree with that?

The Muppet wrote:
    Am I missing something here ? Should United bother tog out at all for this match. I'v never seen such a load of crap posted about a fixture .I don't mean to single out Eirebhoy , I,m just using his quote as an example of the many of its type in this thread,.
    Im just saying I think United will lose this tie. But I know that it is no forgone conclusion. I just think Milan are better tactically, and have more skill, class, and experience for this type of tie. Why is it "crap" that I think United will lose. They are playing without doubt one of the top three teams in Europe, who are at the top of their game.
    The Muppet wrote:
    On their day Man United are capable of beating anyone and always lift themselves for the bigger games. I am not saying they will definitely go through but by some of the comments here you'd think Utd shouln't bother tur n up for the game at all.
    As regards the CL this is a bit of a misconception. United have not beaten one of Europes top tier for three years. And the only "big" teams that they have beaten in the CL since they won it are Deportivo (who are notoriously inconsistent in this competition) and Juventus. So while Im not saying that United are going out, I think it would be a fair bet to say that they are going to have to do a hell of a lot to go through.

• Advertisement

Ac Milan is going to be an absolute bitch of a match, but I've no doubt in my belief that we are going to win it, then again I'm a utd fan so thats what i'm meant to do.

Milan are a fantastic team, and were a fantastic team last year and the year before and the year before.
    They are consistantly very very good.
    However they went out last year to a team that had a lot more heart than them, and United are a team with a lot of heart.
    Tactically they are equals, perhaps you might say they are a better squad skillfully, something which I wouldn't agree with.

None the less, this is football, if United are thee underdogs which I think we are, I'm happy :)

You say that United havn't beaten any of the big teams in the past, and its a misconception that we can beat anyone on our day.
    Yet i'm sure you'd agree that chelsea could beat anyone on their day, yet they havn't beaten any big teams in the past.
    Its a hell of a lot about form going into the match, and if we take on arsenal and win, then take the 5th round, then are onto milan, if we go in with two victories, I think we'll win :)

FFS why is it two months away!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

mayordenis wrote:
    That's a funny comment. When was the last time Arsenal beat us in a league game? Speculation. Total speculation.

stop turning the thread into a slaggng thread, enuf crap.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Nice one, I think United will beat Milan in this one. United always seem to do well against Italian opposition. It will be an interesting one.

indeed they do, when they last played juve i think wen giggs got 2, they totally outplayed Juve 100%

and then that time back in 1999, beating inter and juve. i hope united get thru even tho i dont think they will, just to represent the premiership and show its got top teams.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    FFS why is it two months away!!!!

I'm glad it's two months away.
    Barcelona have too many injuries and it'll be good for the players to only have one match a week. Also, when the CL starts again we should hopefully have Edmilson, Motta and Gabri back. I'm also hoping nobody else picks up any more injuries and that Giuly returns to full fitness.
    The Christmas break should do Barcelona a world of good, and then hopefully we get a couple more players who aren't cup tied in Janurary, but if we get Saviola back I'll be delighted regardless of him being ineligible for the CL.

Im just saying I think United will lose this tie. But I know that it is no forgone conclusion. I just think Milan are better tactically, and have more skill, class, and experience for this type of tie. Why is it "crap" that I think United will lose.

That's fair comment and you are entitled to your opinion. I wasn't talking about your posts but if you read back the thread some people think United havn't a hope in hell of progressing. Any one who follows football knows there is no such thing as a dead cert and even the most unlikey underdogs {not that i think united are} sometimes have their day and so such comments are plain stupid.

Lets leave it at that and not turn this into a typical United/Arsenal slagging match .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan to beat Utd. 3-1 in Manchester and 2-0 in Milan.
    Milan have a better first team.
    Milan have better reserve players.
    Milan have more passion in thier play.
    Milan have Gattuso.
    Milan have Nesta.
    Milan have Shevchenko*

*Sheva's name in Gold because of his balon d'or win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Real Madrid v Juventus (Juve)

Porto v Inter Milan (Inter)

Barcelona v Chelsea (Barca)

Werder Bremen v Lyon (Werder)

Liverpool v Bayer Leverkusen (Pool)

PSV Eindhoven v Monaco (Monaco)

Man Utd v AC Milan (Milan)

Bayern Munich v Arsenal (Arsenal)

good draw for liverpool, certainly do-able but gonna be very tough. need to win the first leg, hopefully do it 2-0. Looking at out away form, if its 2-1 or even a draw it will be very tough.

Think Barca will win, think barca will win the midfield battle and will be too much for them.

united - milan is gonna be a very interesting tie. think milan will win but certainly not a for-gone conclusion. Its live on RTE2 on feb 23rd aswell.

Arsenal will beat munich i think. 2nd leg at highbury will be a big bonus for them.

PHB wrote:
    You say that United havn't beaten any of the big teams in the past, and its a misconception that we can beat anyone on our day.
    Yet i'm sure you'd agree that chelsea could beat anyone on their day, yet they havn't beaten any big teams in the past.
    I dont understand the relevance of Chelsea to whether United will win.

Besides this is a totally different Chelsea, and they can beat anyone, even off their day. They beat Italian opposition, in Lazio, last year home and away. And also beat Arsenal who I would consider to be one of Europes top tier. They won more knockout ties last season than United have since they won the trophy, and thats why I think they will go through against one of the big sides and United wont.

And you never answered my question on whether you would agree that by coming first on average you get an easier draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

The matches are not going to be played until February. A lot can happen before then. Last year would anyone at this time have predicted the turnaround in Barcelona. They were muck at this time last year. Whos to know who could be injured when the matches happen.

I personally think United will go through if Ruud is back by then. They seem to be up for it this year. There has been a lot of sh!te written here about United. They are capable of raising their game and I would much prefer to play a good team than minnows. It all depends on whether Utd can get a win in the first leg. We need for Milan to have to attack us as this is when they are vulnerable. They don't have a lot of pace at the back. Stam,Maldini and Costacurts if he plays.

Arsenal will struggle against Munich, Munich are capable of shutting them out in both legs. They won't give Arsenal the time and space they need in Europe.

Chelsea Barca is too hard to call and could well go down to a mistake or a dodgy refereeing decision.

Liverpool will struggle, purely for the fact that Gerrard is out for the first leg and they won't win without him. The Germans will be delighted with the draw as on form this season Liverpool are probably the weakest of all the teams to get through and now they have their best player missing for the 1st leg(If Uefa had balls it would be for more than that)

kida wrote:
    The matches are not going to be played until February. A lot can happen before then. Last year would anyone at this time have predicted the turnaround in Barcelona. They were muck at this time last year. Whos to know who could be injured when the matches happen.

I personally think United will go through if Ruud is back by then. They seem to be up for it this year. There has been a lot of sh!te written here about United. They are capable of raising their game and I would much prefer to play a good team than minnows. It all depends on whether Utd can get a win in the first leg. We need for Milan to have to attack us as this is when they are vulnerable. They don't have a lot of pace at the back. Stam,Maldini and Costacurts if he plays.

Arsenal will struggle against Munich, Munich are capable of shutting them out in both legs. They won't give Arsenal the time and space they need in Europe.

Chelsea Barca is too hard to call and could well go down to a mistake or a dodgy refereeing decision.

Liverpool will struggle, purely for the fact that Gerrard is out for the first leg and they won't win without him. The Germans will be delighted with the draw as on form this season Liverpool are probably the weakest of all the teams to get through and now they have their best player missing for the 1st leg(If Uefa had balls it would be for more than that)
    I think it is hilarious the way you say that you cant dismiss Uniteds chances because the game isnt until February and "a lot can happen before then". Yet "Liverpool will struggle", because "on form this season Liverpool are probably the weakest of all the teams".

Whos to say what will happen before February? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

kida wrote:
    I was sent the wrong draw in work :eek: . Still only makes Liverpools draw harder. They knocked out Kiev and Roma.

So what? Roma are muck and Kiev aren't exactly a team to fear !!!!! I reckon a good old look back at the History of Football is in order old bean..... :rolleyes:

kida wrote:
    The Germans will be delighted with the draw as on form this season Liverpool are probably the weakest of all the teams to get through
    They're in no worse form than Leverkusen.

You see you seem to be saying that Man Utd can't raise there game, like most United fans think they can.
    You back this up by saying
    As regards the CL this is a bit of a misconception. United have not beaten one of Europes top tier for three years. And the only "big" teams that they have beaten in the CL since they won it are Deportivo (who are notoriously inconsistent in this competition) and Juventus.

You said they havn't beaten any big teams in the last 3 years.
    Yet when I draw a comparision with Chelsea you say
    I dont understand the relevance of Chelsea to whether United will win.
    Besides this is a totally different Chelsea, and they can beat anyone, even off their day. They beat Italian opposition, in Lazio, last year home and away. And also beat Arsenal who I would consider to be one of Europes top tier. They won more knockout ties last season than United have since they won the trophy, and thats why I think they will go through against one of the big sides and United wont.

and you say that Chelsea beat
    Lazio
    Arsenal
    you also say they have won more knockout ties since united last won the trophy,
    thus they have the ability to go through.

First off, United have beaten Arsenal the last 3 times they played them.
    You say they have won more knockout ties than United have since 1999, which is just a total lie :)

Last year they got to the semis, and united got knocked out against Porto.
    Chelsea got into their group vs. Lazio Sparta and Besiktas, and you claim that their big win was against Lazio, who funnily enough came last in the group.
    They beat Stuttgart, big deal :)
    They then beat Arsenal, good for them, although the amount of people who claim they were lucky, and then they lost to Monaco, who eventually lost to Porto.
    So last year their big matches they won were
    Arsenal

The year before that Man Utd lost to Real Madrid in the quarters
    The year before that we lost to Leverkusan in the semis on away goal
    And chelsea won all these knockout ties where exactly? They definally havn't done that :)

Realistically you think Chelsea are better than Man Utd cause well, you think they are better.
    You think Chelsea can raise there game because, well you think chelsea can raise their game, I don't disagree, but its not because of past preformances.

You have the same logic as me, you think chelsea can do it, I think Man utd can do it, don't go spouting off babble in an attempt to somehow prove it, cause you can't.
    All you've shown is that Chelsea are good cause they beat Arsenal, so did United, so why can't they do it? Cause you don't like em, thats why :) Thats fine, but don't hide, its ok not to like football teams.
    I hate Man City, Leeds, Arsenal and Liverpool, i hope they all lose, but hey, at least i'm honest :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Haha... Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

PHB wrote:
    You see you seem to be saying that Man Utd can't raise there game, like most United fans think they can.

Lazio
    Arsenal

You say they have won more knockout ties than United have since 1999, which is just a total lie :)

Last year they got to the semis, and united got knocked out against Porto.
    Chelsea got into their group vs. Lazio Sparta and Besiktas, and you claim that their big win was against Lazio, who funnily enough came last in the group.
    They then beat Arsenal, good for them, although the amount of people who claim they were lucky, and then they lost to Monaco, who eventually lost to Porto.
    Arsenal

And chelsea won all these knockout ties where exactly? They definally havn't done that :)

Realistically you think Chelsea are better than Man Utd cause well, you think they are better.
    You think Chelsea can raise there game because, well you think chelsea can raise their game, I don't disagree, but its not because of past preformances.

You have the same logic as me, you think chelsea can do it, I think Man utd can do it, don't go spouting off babble in an attempt to somehow prove it, cause you can't.
    All you've shown is that Chelsea are good cause they beat Arsenal, so did United, so why can't they do it? Cause you don't like em, thats why :) Thats fine, but don't hide, its ok not to like football teams.
    I hate Man City, Leeds, Arsenal and Liverpool, i hope they all lose, but hey, at least i'm honest :)
    brillaint post

PHB wrote:
    No I didnt say that. Of course United can raise their game. I dont deny that. I said its a misconception that they "always raise their game for the big matches". That is incorrect. Yes they do sometimes, but is not a given that they will. Like I said, they have not beaten a "top tier" European teams in the last 3 years. And have only beaten two in the last six years. Thus I think it is safe to conclude, that they dont ALWAYS raise their game for the big matches, and in fact have been done so less often than not.

PHB wrote:

Lazio
    Arsenal
    But its totally different with Chelsea. For a start Chelsea have not been in the CL every year like United, so the chances are they wouldnt have played as many big teams. And besides when considering Chelsea you must consider them post-Abramovich because they are a totally different side since then. They got to the semis last year, and are looking very strong this year, thats why I think they have the ability to go through, also I would rate Milan higher than Barcelona.
    PHB wrote:
    Yes, but not in the CL which Im talking about.
    PHB wrote:
    Before you go start accusing me of anything, do the maths yourself. I can lend you an abacus if you want.

www.uefa.com

Chelsea won two knockout ties last year alone. United have only progressed beyond the quarters once since they won it. When they went out in the semis to Leverkusen. :D
    PHB wrote:
    Any Italian side that has qualifed for the CL would be classed as a "big team" in my book. Same goes for Spanish and English sides. The beat them 4-0 in Rome. Thats a big win by any strecth of the imagination. And funnily enough had they beaten Sparta in their last game they would have gone through so despite coming last they were as poor as you are trying to make them out to be.
    PHB wrote:
    Agreed, Stuggart are hardly European superpowers, but they managed to beat a few alright teams ;)
    PHB wrote:
    Arsenal
    And Lazio, and Stuggart in the knockout stages (would you not consider all knockout games at that stage to be "big games"???)
    PHB wrote:
    See above post, the abacus is still available. :D
    PHB wrote:
    Realistically you think Chelsea are better than Man Utd cause well, you think they are better. You think Chelsea can raise there game because, well you think chelsea can raise their game, I don't disagree, but its not because of past preformances.
    As I said, its difficult to measure Chelseas past performances because you have to look at the post-Abrahmovic period. Would you not agree with that?
    PHB wrote:
    How could I prove it? I gave my opinion and used FACTS to indicate how I came to this opinion. You on the other hand decided to make stuff up and call my FACTS "lies". So Im afraid we are not using the same logic.
    PHB wrote:
    All you've shown is that Chelsea are good cause they beat Arsenal, so did United, so why can't they do it? Cause you don't like em, thats why :)
    No, you be surprised to find out it has nothing to do with being able to beat Arsenal, or Chelsea for that matter, or my opinion on United. I dont think United will do it because I think Milan are a stronger side in a lot of crucial areas required to win CL football. I think Chelsea will do it because they have a gluttonous wealth of talent, and I think that Barcelona are overrated because they are a very flashy side. They are not as solid as Chelsea (or Milan for that matter).
    PHB wrote:
    Thats fine, but don't hide, its ok not to like football teams.
    Im not hiding, if United were playing Barcelona and Chelsea were playing Milan I would probably tip United to go through and Chelsea to have a tougher game. But feel free to be paranoid that Im just out to get United.

/edit

And for the third time

And you never answered my question on whether you would agree that by coming first on average you get an easier draw?

Barcelona are overrated because they are flashy?
    Barcelona have lost 4 times this season (the Copa del Ray doesn't count for anything and neither did the Shaktar match because in both games they played a team made almost entirely of reserves). So that's 2 loses in 23 games.
    You think they lack solidity despite that form? Is there a team in Europe with better from than that? The only ones I think who match it are Juventus.
    Milan were completely overrun in the Camp Nou. They got a goal on the counter and spent the rest of the match defending their 18 yard box. They were also lucky in the San Siro where Barca conceeded a soft goal and then once again pressured Milan for almost the entire match, hitting the woodwork a couple of times. Desperatley unlucky to come away without at least a point.
    Chelsea will be a test for them but Barca are more than a match for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I dont think United will do it because I think Milan are a stronger side in a lot of crucial areas required to win CL football. I think Chelsea will do it because they have a gluttonous wealth of talent, and I think that Barcelona are overrated because they are a very flashy side. They are not as solid as Chelsea (or Milan for that matter).

From what I have seen, Barcelona are the best footballing side between MU, Chelsea and Milan. Overrated because they are flashy??? They pumped Milan in both games.

But thats my point. They are pleasing on the eye so people think they are great. They are a very good side, who will probably win the Spanish league, but in no way deserve their tag as favourites for the CL. Sure they didnt even top their group! Hence they are overrated.

People were saying they were definately going to win it after they put on a masterclass against Celtic. It was Celtic for gods sake! They lost twice in the group stages. They qualified with 10 points, an amount that only would have assured them qualification from one other group!

They are top of the Spanish league but their main rivals, Valencia and Real, are both going through transitional periods with new managers, so no surprises there.

but in no way deserve their tag as favourites for the CL.

Who does?
    Sure they didnt even top their group! Hence they are overrated.

Very much a superficial take on things
    They lost twice in the group stages. They qualified with 10 points, an amount that only would have assured them qualification from one other group!

They lost one real match... against Milan. I wished to God they did not put their reserve team out in the Ukraine, that match was an irrelevance to Barcelona. You cannot compare one group to another as it means nothing!!

Who does?!!
    Milan? Juventus? Chelsea? All those teams have performed better than Barca. Juve and Milan have a lot more experience at this level than Barca as well.
    Very much a superficial take on things
    Not really. I find it hard to understand how they could be more likely than Milan to win the CL, when Milan have beaten them, and topped the group ahead of them.
    They lost one real match... against Milan. I wished to God they did not put their reserve team out in the Ukraine, that match was an irrelevance to Barcelona. You cannot compare one group to another as it means nothing!!
    So what they lost one real match? And one fake match? Milan still managed to beat Celtic while sending out a weakened team.

And I understand that you cant compare groups as fact. But if you look at the teams eliminated from their group and compare them to the other groups, the teams eliminated from their group would be of a lower quality in general than most of the other groups. Hence they should be getting more than 10 points, especially as they took three of Milan too.

Milan? Juventus? Chelsea? All those teams have performed better than Barca. Juve and Milan have a lot more experience at this level than Barca as well.

If experience is everything, why include Chelsea?
    Not really. I find it hard to understand how they could be more likely than Milan to win the CL, when Milan have beaten them, and topped the group ahead of them.

I think yes really. To say a team are overrated because they did not come top of their group is superficial IMO.
    Milan still managed to beat Celtic while sending out a weakened team.

Eh? How did you work that one out
    And I understand that you cant compare groups as fact. But if you look at the teams eliminated from their group and compare them to the other groups, the teams eliminated from their group would be of a lower quality in general than most of the other groups. Hence they should be getting more than 10 points, especially as they took three of Milan too.

Again it is an irrelevance comparing how a team would compete in other groups. It is how they competed in their own group. Chelsea topped their, Barcelona did not. For this reason you think Barcelona are overrated?

As a CL neutral now, I will be cheering Barcelona on and I would imagine that Chelsea do not see Barcelona as overrated.

• Advertisement

Milan still managed to beat Celtic while sending out a weakened team.
    Milan didn't even get a shot on target, never mind win. ;)

Both teams have played Celtic twice and if I had the choice to play Milan or Barca in the last 16 I'd take Milan in a shot.

If experience is everything, why include Chelsea?
    Where did I say it was everything? Notice I used the phrase "as well". To summarise, not only have these teams performed better than Barca so far, two of the three have more experience at this level AS WELL. It enforces my point as to why I think they will do better than Barca.
    I think yes really. To say a team are overrated because they did not come top of their group is superficial IMO.
    You have taken what I said out of context. I said they were overrated because they are favourites for the CL, not because they didnt top their group. People rate them highly because they are an exiting team with a lot of flair. People like them. Thats why I think people rate them so highly. How can you justify their tag as favourites when surely Milan at least should be there seeing as they performed better in direct competition with them?
    Eh? How did you work that one out
    Out of the team that started that game, Colocinni, Costacurta, Brocchi, Ambrosini, Dhorasoo, and Serginho, have all started less than five league games. Kaka, Cafu, Seedorf, and Gattuso, all automatic first choices in usual circumstances were on the bench.

That would constitute to me a "weakened team". Would you not agree?

/edit

Apologies, Milan didnt get beaten in Celtic with a weakened team. Barcelona got beaten with theirs though.
    Again it is an irrelevance comparing how a team would compete in other groups. It is how they competed in their own group. Chelsea topped their, Barcelona did not. For this reason you think Barcelona are overrated?

As a CL neutral now, I will be cheering Barcelona on and I would imagine that Chelsea do not see Barcelona as overrated.
    Again you have taken me out of context. Sorry if I wasnt clear. But the point you made has enforced my point. If its "how they competed in their own group" and Barcelona didnt top theirs, how could they be considered favourites for the entire tournament?

I have no gripe against Barcelona. They are my favourite Spanish team, I just think people get ahead of themselves because they are pleasing to watch.

Apologies, Milan didnt get beaten in Celtic with a weakened team. Barcelona got beaten with theirs though.

Celtic didnt beat barcelona.

Celtic didnt beat barcelona.
    Barcelonas "weakened" team got beaten convincingly by Shaktar. Milans weakened team didnt get beaten by Celtic.

It goes back to the point that Makevelli tried to make that one of the games that Barca lost didnt mean anything because they sent out a weakened team. Yet Milan sent out a weakened team at Celtic and didnt lose.

Barcelonas "weakened" team got beaten convincingly by Shaktar. Milans weakened team didnt get beaten by Celtic.

It goes back to the point that Makevelli tried to make that one of the games that Barca lost didnt mean anything because they sent out a weakened team. Yet Milan sent out a weakened team at Celtic and didnt lose.

Shaktar convincingly beat Celtic at home, and narrowly lost away though.

And you cant really use that as a valid arguement.

Shaktar convincingly beat Celtic at home, and narrowly lost away though.

And you cant really use that as a valid arguement.
    Do you even know the point Im trying to argue? It has nothing to do with Shaktar or Celtic.

• Advertisement

There is a big difference here.
    Milan played reserve players but they had prior first team experience.
    Barcelona played Messi (first first team start - 17 years old), Javito (first team debut - 21 years old), Rodri (first team debut - 21 years old) and a couple of other Barca B players who I can't remember.
    In effect Barcelona played an almost rookie team, Milan didn't.
    I said they were overrated because they are favourites for the CL, not because they didnt top their group. People rate them highly because they are an exiting team with a lot of flair. People like them. Thats why I think people rate them so highly. How can you justify their tag as favourites when surely Milan at least should be there seeing as they performed better in direct competition with them?

People rate them highly because they are a very good team. People rate them highly because they are having a fantastic season. You seem to think people rate style over substance, Barca happen to have both. So how exactly are they overrated?
    How did Milan perform better in direct competition? Away goals? Technically then yes, but if you watched both matches, it was clear Barcelona were the better team in both games.

I don't see why you keep bringing Chelsea into the equation as a team who deserve their title as potential champions more than Barcelona. Chelsea played a shadow of the Porto side that won it last year, they played PSG who are a not a strong team and they played CSKA Moscow, again hardly footballing elite. They have yet to prove themselves against European elite.

X is better than Y is a pointless argument in The CL if you ask me. We all know that its how the teams perform on matchnight that will determin who goes through, You can not accurately predict games at this level with any certainty which adds to the appeal of the competition.

Well said.

Makaveli wrote:
    People rate them highly because they are a very good team. People rate them highly because they are having a fantastic season. You seem to think people rate style over substance, Barca happen to have both. So how exactly are they overrated?
    I also rate them highly. I think they are overrated because they do not deserve to be favourites for the CL. They are being rated higher than they deserve, hence over-rated. Put all other clubs aside for a minute, apart from Milan. I dont understand how you could possibly argue that they deserve to be rated as more likely to win the CL than them. Seeing as Milan topped a group including Barcelona, performing better against them and the other teams in the group. Add to that Milan have been there and done that in this competition, and a lot of Barcelonas players could be considered inexperienced when it comes to this stage of the CL.
    Makaveli wrote:
    How did Milan perform better in direct competition?
    Do you want me to cut and paste the group table?
    Makaveli wrote:
    Away goals? Technically then yes
    At last, thank you.
    Makaveli wrote:
    but if you watched both matches, it was clear Barcelona were the better team in both games.
    The scoreboard doesnt lie. And its all that matters.
    Makaveli wrote:
    I don't see why you keep bringing Chelsea into the equation as a team who deserve their title as potential champions more than Barcelona. Chelsea played a shadow of the Porto side that won it last year, they played PSG who are a not a strong team and they played CSKA Moscow, again hardly footballing elite. They have yet to prove themselves against European elite.
    I was asked to name sides that I thought were in with a chance of winning the competition. Chelsea reached the semis last year.

Do you not think they have bought better players since then?

Do you not think they have sold some of their worse players since then?

Do you think Mourinho is a better manager than Ranieri?

We both know the answers to all of those questions. Surely then they would be likely to go just as far if not further than last year?

The Muppet wrote:
    X is better than Y is a pointless argument in The CL if you ask me. We all know that its how the teams perform on matchnight that will determin who goes through, You can not accurately predict games at this level with any certainty which adds to the appeal of the competition.
    Its all well and good playing the devils advocate, but the same could be said about any game. Should we stop discussing all matches then?

Personally I think this is a very good and mature discussion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement