Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moderators of Self Defence Forum!

• 17-12-2004 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Maybe its just me, but it has come to my attention lately that niether Runfree or Repli really contribute to this forum much, at least I haven't seen em do so in awhile. Are they still modding in the back round without my knowledge or are they gone?

If it is a case that they are gone, or simply no longert interested in modding the forum, I wish to nominate Colm O'Reilly as mod for this forum for the simple reason that he is well respected and lately appearing very popular on this forum.

What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

lately appearing very popular on this forum.
    Well I think he gets StephenInsane's vote anyway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭TwoKingMick

i disagree

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Neither Repli or Runfree appear to have been on in a very long time.....

But IF they are no longer interested in modding, then I would think Colm O'Reilly seems to be the best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭TwoKingMick

I vote for colum, hes much more moderate when people challange him or his viewpoints

Well that ahimsa jerk has made too bullsh1t spam posts and they havent been deleted so some kind of mod is needed!

Maybe someone should mail a site admin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    Thanks daveirl, I'll copy and paste my original post above and see what DeV, and the other admins have to say on the matter!

I think perhaps we need more people to explain why we want the moderator(s) changed, because otherwise it looks like a conspiracy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

They don't need to be changed, just added. This board doesn't really get many muppets anyway, it's probably a light enough job to moderate. Plus, moderating and posting are entirely different things, independant of each other.

Sico wrote:
    Plus, moderating and posting are entirely different things, independant of each other.

Absolutely - but there hasn't been either posting or moderating in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Silverfish wrote:
    I think perhaps we need more people to explain why we want the moderator(s) changed, because otherwise it looks like a conspiracy.....

Personally, I think things are going ok without some big bro moderator dictating everything. Comments are a lot more flowing. Plus, spammers are dealt with by a group effort rather than a mod.
    Democracy rules.
    Failing that, Colum. Not sure why, I've never posted a reply to him. But sure, why NOT him??? Eh? Eh? :D

Heh, I certainly cannot fault the way spammers are dealt with - its like some sort of tag-team effort......

I just feel that someone should be modding, and its quite evident that Repli and Runfree haven't modded, posted, or contributed to the overall running of the forum for sometime.

This is the reason why I say we need a new mod/mods. Musashi certainly gets my nod too, he always contributes well, is of sound mind, and shows a keen interest in the other users of this forum. I'd mod it myself but I don't believe that I am experienced enough in MA to do so.

The advice is generally good from all on this forum, and I think that there should be somebody here to keep that sense of order and balance. I have noticed lately that a few posts have gone off topic, offensive comments have been past, and spam has been posted.

Sico wrote:
    This board doesn't really get many muppets anywayQUOTE]

Thats cause we're all too scared of you big tough men!! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

We do need a moderator. I'd go with Colm O'Reilly

Well, its seems that every board is supposed to have one and there currently doesn't appear to be anyone doing it, was all I was saying.......

So my vote goes to Colm, Mushashi and Memphis ( exp in MA is one thing, but modding is another, and so on)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Silverfish wrote:
    Well, its seems that every board is supposed to have one and there currently doesn't appear to be anyone doing it, was all I was saying.......

So my vote goes to Colm, Mushashi and Memphis ( exp in MA is one thing, but modding is another, and so on)

Yeah cool. Has anyone asked these people. Do they know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think if you're going to moderate a forum on any subject then you need quite a bit of experience in that subject. No offence to the previous mods but i dont think they had been doing MA for long before they started on this forum and it showed quite often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

I'm not really sure what a mod would do, or what extra powers they have, to "control" a forum.
    I certainly cannot fault the way spammers are dealt with - its like some sort of tag-team effort......

I like the way the members actually will put aside differences in "style" to correct people who take all their MA information from "Kill Bill". Is this the way communities start? A lot of people with similar interests and ideas working to have a common area to chat and discuss what we all know.We can only learn once we are willing to listen! I am enjoying the way this forum is shaping up!
    The only thing I would see is the difference between MA and SD.
    Many posters are good Martial Artists but the advice they may give on Self Defense would get you killed in a fight.I am not getting at any one in particular here! But there is a difference between sport and getting home alive.I'd hate for some new guy to come in here and to get hurt for following advice which, while fine in a ring,would get him pasted out in town of a Saturday night!

We are all experienced enough to know which is which, and I look forward to learning new solutions to age old conflicts from folks with different backgrounds and experiences.I will probably disagree with a lot of things,but I'm open to learning new stuff.
    Take care and train hard lads!

Consider me fully corrected on every point so.

It is not like a tag team effort on spammers

And if you don't feel the moderators need to be changed, thats also fine with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

dont do it, making someone a mod destroys them as a human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Haha.. lol

Hey Ferdi.. do you know Superman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

memphis wrote:
    I just feel that someone should be modding, and its quite evident that Repli and Runfree haven't modded, posted, or contributed to the overall running of the forum for sometime.

This is the reason why I say we need a new mod/mods. Musashi certainly gets my nod too, he always contributes well, is of sound mind, and shows a keen interest in the other users of this forum. I'd mod it myself but I don't believe that I am experienced enough in MA to do so.

I'd agree, even though the forum doesn't get that many muppets there's always other cases where posts need some minor moderation or splitting and there will invariably be times when the muppet influx occurs where we will need moderators that are also regularly online.

Musashi sounds like an excellant recommendation.

.logic.

Silverfish wrote:

Yeah, I'd be inclined to go with these 2 lads, they know there stuff, are well experienced in the field of MA, and generally give exceptionally good advice.

I appreciate getting the nod here, but like I say I donno if I have enough experience in MA to contribute as a Mod, having said that, I am a community mod at present (only a short while) so have the ground works, and know what is involved in moderating a forum. At the end of the day its really up to Admin! But if ye people think I'd do a good job (I do post here regularly), I'm willing to accept the nomination!

I appreciate getting the nod here, but like I say I donno if I have enough experience in MA to contribute as a Mod,

I'm not sure you need the experience in MA to mod a board Memphis mate.Once the head is screwed on right and you can nip muppetry and trolling in the bud then I see no reason why you should not Mod. this board?
    From what I can see your on line a fair bit and taking an interest in the board, better than having a ninth Dan Master modding who is never online or involved in the boards!
    Have a good holiday and New Year lads.

Musashi wrote:
    I'm not sure you need the experience in MA to mod a board Memphis mate.Once the head is screwed on right and you can nip muppetry and trolling in the bud then I see no reason why you should not Mod. this board?
    From what I can see your on line a fair bit and taking an interest in the board, better than having a ninth Dan Master modding who is never online or involved in the boards!
    Have a good holiday and New Year lads.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, pal.

I guess there's a good bit of truth in the above, I am online alot, and do have a strong interest in the board.

But like I have said on the feedback section it is really but to Admin to decide. Personally, I think you'd make a better mod than me, as you have more experience in the filed of MA, or even Colm O'Reilly, who seems to be well respected on this forum.

memph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I'm in agreement that the forum needs new moderators. In general I think people here are more polite than on the rest of boards, and most flaming matches are limited to the whole "my martial art is better than your martial art" thing, which I think we can all handle. However there will also be a few trolls who post up just to try to annoy people, and we will need a mod, or mods to deal with them. In terms of who it should be - I'd go with the previous suggestions that Colm O'Reilly would be the guy. I know him outside of boards and he's a very fair person as well as being an instructor with a good few years MA experience. :cool:

If anything, a newcomer to MA would probably be more eager to read the board, thus being around more often than some of the grizzlier old chestnuts ;)
    A newbie and a ninja would be a good combination of modness.

Sico wrote:
    If anything, a newcomer to MA would probably be more eager to read the board, thus being around more often than some of the grizzlier old chestnuts ;)
    A newbie and a ninja would be a good combination of modness.
    Who have you in mind?

I'll inclined to think its best to have 2 mods if not 3. Colm O'Reilly who is well experienced in MA with particular emphasis on BJJ and Musashi who is a Dan grade in TKD, both are well experienced in the field of MA, with expertise in 2 very different art forms.

Ya can then throw me in as a third if ye are all in agreement with the decission, I'm new to TKD (at it only 10 month or so), but did do it with ITF when I was a kid, also tried Karate for a few weeks. And I have competed at international level, and am currently a green tag!

Again, its up to Admins to decide! But I strongly believe we need a change of moderatorship urgently.

memphis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

While we haven't heard from Repli and Runfree in a while, I'm not entirely convinced for the need of change of moderator. However, if it does go ahead, let's not have too many cooks stirring the pot. Keep it simple. Colm would get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Merry christmas lads... havent been on in ages.

anyway, Colm has my vote to, he'd judge fair. Colum also contribs a lot and knows what hes on about. I think memph wants a mention ;) so u and colum can be my runners up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

dudara wrote:
    While we haven't heard from Repli and Runfree in a while, I'm not entirely convinced for the need of change of moderator. However, if it does go ahead, let's not have too many cooks stirring the pot. Keep it simple. Colm would get my vote.

I also am not convinced that this board needs new moderators. I can't think of any occasion recently where things got out of hand on a thread which needed a moderator to step in.

While Colm seems to have the popular vote so far, my only concern is that there is no conflict of interest. Colm runs an MMA club and has used this forum on a few occasions to promote his club and get new recruits. That in itself doesn't bother me, but I think that any new moderator should be seen to be impartial and not promoting one martial art over another.

Users of this board should also be allowed to discuss other martial arts freely without the constant taunts from the MMA'ers as to whether or not it has been tested in an alive scenario. This stifles discussion and is bad for the board. It is for this reason that the moderator needs to be impartial and open minded towards other martial arts.

If there is to be a new moderator of this board, Musashi would get my vote. From reading his posts over the last year or so, he seems fair, has a good knowledge of martial arts and seems to have a strong interest in them, which is what seems to be lacking from the current mods.

Also, has the thread starter checked with the admins that they will even consider changing mods?

Also, has the thread starter checked with the admins that they will even consider changing mods?

Yes, I posted up on the Feddback forum under Systems for admins to see, as of yet I have gotten no feedback from them, but then it is the Christmas period, will prob here from em in new year.

Musashi and Colm O'Reilly would be my votes. Am not really pushed about being made mod myself, but if thats what people want I'm happy enough to mod, from a newbies (in MA) point of view!

I think the reason there was no feedback from the Admins is because only 3 people or so posted on the thread on the Feedback forum to agree that moderators should be changed or added.

Which is why I posted back here to suggest that if people DID want the moderators changed or added, then maybe more people should lend their vote to the thread on the feedback forum. instead of saying it here where it will not be seen, but it seemed that my post was taken up wrong.

So once again, if you want the admins to change or add new moderators, I think you need to encourage more people to voice their agreement on the thread in the Feedback forum, instead of here where it will not be seen.

Yes, I agree with ya Silverfish, get posting in the feddback section forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Hey I'm the Mod! I was wondering why my name was in bold!

As mod I'll fix broken links and delete any seriously offending posts (personal attacks and such). Other than that post away my friends!

Colm "Drunk with Power" O'Reilly

Well done all.

Now that Colm is in power I'll shout an almighty FIGHT THE POWER in his general direction. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Colm "Drunk with Power" O'Reilly
    Or just drunk? :p

Congrats Colm, well deserved!

Congratulations on your appointment Colm!

• Advertisement

I think that any new moderator should be seen to be impartial and not promoting one martial art over another

I don't see why this need be the case, as long as we can be sure the mod in question won't abuse his/her position (and I think in this case we can). Remember, mods are just posters who keep the peace. It doesn't mean we don't have our own personal opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yes well done Colm, hopefully you'll have more time to moderate the board than Runfree and myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

all hail our new leader :D
    congrats on the new role

Repli wrote:
    Yes well done Colm, hopefully you'll have more time to moderate the board than Runfree and myself
    If you feel under pressure with more important issues in the real word, and are finding it hard to give time to boards.ie perhaps a third Mod (ideally Musashi) would be a wise move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

memphis wrote:
    If you feel under pressure with more important issues in the real word, and are finding it hard to give time to boards.ie perhaps a third Mod (ideally Musashi) would be a wise move?

No, I think Colm will do just fine. The board doesn't need another moderator in my opinion.

Repli wrote:
    No, I think Colm will do just fine. The board doesn't need another moderator in my opinion.

Very well, your the Boss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

well done colm
    you did in a matter of months what i could not since july 2000 :)

Advertisement