Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP system restore hanging/loop

• 17-12-2004 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭

Folks- A friend has a PC that was giving problems i.e. Explorer was not responding when clicked and machine in generall was behaving strangely.
    I suggested thad that she try a system restore as it was working OK the day before.
    However when she ran restore it just went so far(50%) and stopped,she tried a different restore point no difference.
    The real problem is that even if she turns off the power on re boot it goes back into restore window,there doesn't seem to be a cancel option,PC keeps going back to system restore window asking to try another restore point.

Trouble is I dont know much about pc except its fairly old (3-4 years) hard disk is fairly full and it is running XP Pro.(probably SP1,AV up to date)
    Trying to give phone assistance as she lives a good distance away and I wont be able to get there in the short term,is there anyway we can get it boot up to windows again.
    People help me or could be the end of a beautiful relationship!!

Seven Worlds will Collide

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It is likley to be malware/spyware/viruses.
    If these got on before they system restore then previous images will have the problem too.

Did you make sure to go into safe mode before doing the restore ?
    Could it be done now using F8 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks Capt'n....That's what I intend to try next to see can get it to boot up on Last known good or safe mode.The only other thing I can think of is that she transferred CD's of photos on to the hard drive(these were her own unlikely to be infected)and the HD could be nearly full would this affect the restore function ? I know the details I have are sparse but you know its difficult to get details from someone over the phone who isn't into the nuts and bolts of PCs.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement