Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus IS200 - opinions solicited

Options
  • 17-12-2004 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Right-y-o. Looking to go respectable (& fully-legit) in this beautiful green land-o-yours, and am thinking of treating my burgeoning family ( :D ) to a Lexus IS200. Scoob & MX5 will now either be part-exed up North or down here (or even put up on "Cars FS" here come first week of Jan'05, but they're on Brit plates).

Thing is, I don't know much about IS200s other than what I've read/Googl'd since I've set my heart on the thing. So, in case any of the enlightened regular posters have/had driven/owned one:

_is there a model and/or year to be preferred, excepting "sporty" Beams ones, whatever that "Beams" stuff is (as I'm done with "sporty" (Scoob/MX5), now I want "comfy sport")?

_any particular things to look out for (other than the usual suspects, e.g. something IS200-specific)?

_what's the auto box like (on understanding that I'd prefer a manual anyway, but then the 'right' one may come as an auto)?

_anything I've missed?

Very much appreciate your input/feedback, if any.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very reliable, high quality alternative to small Mercedes / BMW, but it comes nowhere near the status/style of the Mercedes or the driving qualities of the BMW

Bit boring tbh. Usually driven by people without a passion for cars, so not for you ;)

Honestjohn finds everything hunkydory, except:
    What's Bad
    Needs to be revved to perform, otherwise doesn't feel powerful enough. Auto can be sluggish at times. Complaints of alloy wheels suffering from pitting as a result of salt on UK roads

Also expensive second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

A pretty mundane car after owning an mx5 for pure driving pleasure!
    But they will prove ultra reliable just like the mazda!
    Personaly id buy the lexus is200 over a 320 bmw or merc whatever c something!
    I do like the way they look and i reckon you will have better reliability than that of the merc and bmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

have a 00 IS Sport and have had no problems nice for long journeys &
    everthing is electric. Look for one w full service history. Only problem
    was error on the cd but that was changed under warrantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

go for an IS300 if you can afford it. more of a status symbol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The car in front is a.... oh wait, its not...uh-oh its a Lexus. In a slight-of-hand move that would make David Blane blink, Toyota slotted its mid-size Japanese-market performance saloon into the EU market as a Lexus and everyone went oooh. I haven't driven the IS300 but I've driven several IS200's and they are all gutless and disappointing to drive. The manual is tedious and needs to be constantly stirred to make progress, the auto is lame and unresponsive. The quality of finish is good and the seats/ergonomics acceptable but not life-enhancing. The 16" standard wheels look awful, the 17" sport wheels suffer as mentioned but look yum. The handling is on a par with a Mazda 6 or Honda Accord - its not as sharp as the people at Lexus would like you to believe.

All this aside I have never heard of one breaking down and I haven't seen one in a breakers yard (recently saw 2 Pug 406coupes!).

On balance I would recommend that you look elsewhere - the IS is long overdue an overhaul and depite medium-term residuals being good, long term and with high mileage you will lose more money as compared with the Accord or Mazda. On comparison with the 3-series, which is mechanically similar the Lexus falls down on power, handling, equipment levels, space and comfort. The BMW isn't as well screwed together though and the quality of plastics/trim on the current range is awful - that tan leather trim is bile inducing.

Oh my God is that the time.... I'm off.

'c

Today I are mostly driving a Nissan Primastar. Yeugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I haven't driven one of them and don't particularly know much about them. I do remember reading some review where some trouser-suited career woman was reviewing it and similar small exec motors. Her conclusion in relation to the IS200 was that she couldn't help feeling like a 40 year old man when driving it, and that's the impression i have of it too. It's for fairly wealthy executives who need to express their wealth, without necessarily having the style to do so!

I was thinking about this on the way home last night and trying to figure if I had been fair to what is on balance a very good car. I was well impressed the first time I saw one and thought the Sport version quite tasty but pricey. I have chewed it over and can't find anything to change my mind. A titanium gearknob and some sparkly clocks won't cut it anymore and the car hasn't been updated to keep it current with its competition. I haven't anything to back it up but I suspect the cost of ownership will be noticeably higher than others in its class.

The round rear lights which are its signature and spawned a million aftermarket light designs are old-hat compared to even the current Mondeo/Avensis designs (chicken-egg?).

Ambro25, drive one of them and see if it fits the bill - if you always wanted one and it makes you happy then what I say won't matter, but sometimes when you meet your heroes you can be disappointed.

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Thank you all so very much for the input.

TBH, I'm not particularly bothered about the whole "tarted-up Toyota" image thing, or associations/connotations with "40-year old wealthy execs" & the like... I'm too young for people to mistake me as such :D . Those are totally subjective opinions, which I can live with as, when and if encountered (especially if the guy who profers those drives a Passat or a Mondeo :D ).

Insofar as BMWs & Mercs are concerned, I'd be of the opinion that the above (save for the Toyot' thing) are just as true for those (aspirational etc.). Particularly if you're only talking about 3-series and C-classes (which, on my purchase budget, I would be :o ).

The things that attracts me the most with the Lexus are the reliability & the comfort: I want somthing big enough for my family for the next 3-4 years, without falling into the excesses of SUVs and people carriers (expect maybe the scenic, but I absolutely despise Renaults, so there).

I've done the uncomfortable sporty times enough (XR2i, Delta Integrale, 200SX Turbo, Hyundai Coupe (that was an accident in my car ownership trail, sorry! :D ), MX5 1.8, Scooby), now it's time to grow up, so-to-speak.

So the 0-60 is not particularly relevant (I do hear you unkel ;) , re. the transition from MX-5. But different cars, different purposes...), but I'm not looking to race it at red lights or at Mondello. So long as I can get out of trouble with dropping a gear or two...

Interceptor - I will test-drive indeed, thanks. It's not a car (or a brand) I've "always wanted", just what car I think fits the bill best for our current needs. There's only one car I've always wanted and may someday be lucky enough to afford: a TVR (that in replacement of the one car which I've wanted from age 1 but now realised I'll probably never own: an original 427 Cobra) :D .

ambro25 wrote:
    The things that attracts me the most with the Lexus are the reliability & the comfort: I want somthing big enough for my family for the next 3-4 years

Well in that case you can't really go wrong. The Lexus is probably one of the most reliable cars you can get

Try and get one with loads of goodies :)

Did you consider getting a GS300 instead?

• Advertisement

Or a late 90's Honda Legend 3.2 V6?! Very comfy, more gadgets than you could ever need, ultra reliable and cheap as chips to buy. Number 14 on my list, just after the A8...

'ceptr

I know it might sound stupid but have you ever considered a Hyundai Sonata, its huge, has the overall look of a jag and its cheap too. Get one in Celadon Green and you wont go wrong

unkel wrote:
    Did you consider getting a GS300 instead?
    Neighbour of my mother-in-law in UK has two: a '97 he bought three years ago and a '00 he bought last year. He's single, but he didn't want to part with the first one... that tells me something ;) .

Still, 'bit too big and I don't expect the handling to be as sharp as the IS200 - but then I haven't driven either yet, so feel free to ignore.
    Number 14 on my list, just after the A8...
    :D
    Accord? I don't think Jap cars come any blander than that. What an ugly thing that car is - personal opinion, though, and still not as ugly as the Multibleuark. Plus, straight six over V6 any day.

Squirrel wrote:
    I know it might sound stupid but have you ever considered a Hyundai Sonata, its huge, has the overall look of a jag and its cheap too. Get one in Celadon Green and you wont go wrong
    ...and they are made from the bits that Kia throw out, so they have to be good. Or get a Daewoo Lacetti - it has the overall look of a ponces toilet-bag and the handling of a kids trike. And it sounds like an ice-cream so it can't be all bad...

'c

...and they are made from the bits that Kia throw out, so they have to be good. Or get a Daewoo Lacetti - it has the overall look of a ponces toilet-bag and the handling of a kids trike. And it sounds like an ice-cream so it can't be all bad...

LOL!

I said I was looking to go respectable, not cheap ;) . Correct my earlier posting: some cars do come in blander than an Accord, for instance Sonatas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Ryan Tubridy drives a Lexus. Make of that what you will.

Who is he? And what should I care? The Pope drives a Popemobile, too.

Alan Partridge drives one too. "It's known as the Japanese Mercedes you know...".

ambro25 wrote:
    LOL!

I said I was looking to go respectable, not cheap ;) . Correct my earlier posting: some cars do come in blander than an Accord, for instance Sonatas :D
    Not Accord - Legend. Electric everything and no pretentious image. Its been redesigned for next year but thats another thread.

'c

Accord/Legend - my mistake (still ugly, though ;) ).

I don't want to wait for next year + never buy new anyway, I let company car buyers or snobs suffer the worst depreciation :D.

Alan Partridge / Tub-what-his-name / Jap Merc - see earlier posts, such comments are pretty redundant and take up "posting room" unnecessarily... Why should I consider a Merc, which might not be as reliable, looks older, will cost me 2 x as much to run with not even half the equipment? To say "I drive a Merc"? Big f***ing deal :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The Honda Legend is a great car, albeit a good size bigger than what you are looking for

Its size matches that of my BMW 735iA V8, although its performance doesn't. Very few of them around in Ireland and second hand prices are just silly

Fair play to Honda though for not playing the Toyota marketing game of setting up a new brand :)

unkel wrote:
    Fair play to Honda though for not playing the Toyota marketing game of setting up a new brand :)
    No, and they'd have to call it something silly like Acura...

I suppose they would only sell a handful so there wasn't any point introducing the brand to Europe. In the States where the Honda Civic was always a 'budget buy' and they needed to battle Toyota for supremacy over the Camry, they came up with the luxury Acura brand for the higher end models. Then Nissan came up with Infiniti, which was originally just rebadged Maximas and has also grown to US-only models like the FX and the new QX whale-sized SUV.

I'd still love a Legend though - nearly bought one a while back but bought Accord instead.

'c

No, and they'd have to call it something silly like Acura...

Only in America

I guess it would have been commercial suicide for Nissan and Honda not to go the "me to" route over there after the enormous succes of Toyota with Lexus on high margin cars...

A lot of Americans think the ultimate in style and quality comes from Japan. Us Europeans tend to disagree ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

IS 200 is a lovely car but the driver doesn't get a chance to enjoy it as he is always busy changing gears. I had one for a week last year I was happy to give it back pain in the ar#e driving after a while. You get fed up changing gear all the time, and if you've got kids there isn't that much room in the back . Try putting a baby seat in the back before you buy. On the plus side great build quality and feel.

Cionn wrote:
    if you've got kids there isn't that much room in the back . Try putting a baby seat in the back before you buy

Good point, always try for size first

Couldn't get the baby seat in my previous car, a BMW 530iA V8. Not that there wasn't enough space, but the seatbelt was too short!

ambro25 wrote:

You asked for help and all i offered was advice and you had to offend the car i have. For less than 30 grand i got a car with just as much kit, maybe more than the lexus. Have you even seen the sonata by the way. Since you want respectable, buy the lexus and think about this every time you drive I'm driving a toyota that cost me more than 40 grand I can see that being respectable

Squirrel wrote:
    You asked for help and all i offered was advice and you had to offend the car i have.

Just some play-wording... lighten up ;)

If only you'd searched my earlier postings in 'Motors' (no reason why you would, but still...) you'd have noticed that I have owned a Hyundai and I consider it still one of the best cars I've ever had, in terms of value for money - and I've had few.

On a lighter note, I asked for help about a Lexus IS200, not alternatives (the only alternatives I'd consider are a newer Impreza or Legacy).
    Squirrel wrote:
    For less than 30 grand i got a car with just as much kit, maybe more than the lexus. Have you even seen the sonata by the way. Since you want respectable, buy the lexus and think about this every time you drive I'm driving a toyota that cost me more than 40 grand I can see that being respectable.

Good for you. Since I want respectable, I'll buy the lexus and think about this every time I'm driving it: I'm driving a Lexus that cost me less than 20 grand and this guy went & spent 40 grand on a Hyundai :D:p

PS: I'm not buying the badge (if I wanted that I'd go Beemer or Merc), I'm buying style & reliability because now (after 16 years of motoring) I finally can.

And comments are duly noted in respect of gear stages + baby seats, I'll be certain to pay particular attention, thanks a bunch!

Enjoy the Lexus. Tell me what you think of it

• Advertisement

Soon as I've managed to clear my schedule (no joke, workload is currently blazing madness :eek:) for a test drive somewhere, I'll update.

Thanks for your good wishes, Squirrel & a Happy New Year to you all on Boards.ie :)

Advertisement