Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

exhaust gas recirculation thingy??

Options
  • 17-12-2004 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

quick question...

i've a '98 1 ltr opel corsa. i need to get the exhaust gas recirculation thingy fixed (so the opel garage told me once they'd plugged the car into a machine that told them!)

question is: do i have to get it done in an opel garage or can any mechanic do it?

cheers for any advice in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

as far as i know this is only a 5euro pipe that connects from above theexaust mainifold into the carb,. if u have a look its the silver pipe u see. u can replace this ur self easy. just take it to a motor factor. dont worry u can drive with it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

YOU'RE KIDDING!
    the opel garage quoted me 295euro to do it
    u can replace this ur self easy
    i'm a pathetic excuse for a girl. i'm lucky i can drive the thing myself not to mind fix anything that goes wrong with the thing.
    but thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

was just reading http://www.carsurvey.org/review_50950.html - can you clean yours?
    Also check ebay.co.uk for one (Opel = Vauxhall in the UK!). This one sold for UK£7.50 and looks as if it takes a few minutes to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Hi Catho,

Probably the EGR Valve. (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Thats not a fiver. But if you got a non opel dealer to take care of it for you it would be less that 295 tbh.

cheers merc
    thats what i needed to know! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i believe if u take it out for a spin and gun it u could probably clean it out that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

The EGR warning could be something as simple as a small hole in the exhaust that needs a quick weld, it happened to me last year, I feared the worst too but I got it fixed in a small local garage. I think they charged me about half an hours' labour to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

egr ruins your engines power. I don't think emmision rules so strict in 1998. seal it of give your mota powa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

While the engine will run quiet happinly with it shut off overall. It will tend to run hotter, hence the probability of "pinging" and a few burned valves.
    Dont know what effect it may have on the CAT, may cause that to run hotter also.

Advertisement