Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - 2 month delay - Galway

• 17-12-2004 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Just thought I'd let you all know to be very careful about signing up for Eircom's broadband service in Galway.

I was visited by an Eircom Rep on the 1st of December and I ordered the package off him then. Two weeks later I rang their support number and was told that the request wasn't entered on the system until the 8th and due to the back log in the exchange in Galway I wouldn't be enabled until Jan 29th. CRAZY!! I was told 5-10 working days. I was also told they are only enabling 7 phone lines per day. I am connected to the Post Office Exchange and that is where the back log is. There may be back logs in other parts of the city too.

I don't think it matters what service provider you choose as Eircom still control the lines to the exchange. I am very unhappy with the service. They had no intention of informing me that I would remain unconnected until the end of Jan.

I just hope this saves somebody from the same headaches and frustration that I have gone through. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

NTL should be available by end Jan / early feb , just cancel it.

M

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Muck wrote:
    NTL should be available by end Jan / early feb , just cancel it.

M

Is that not being very optimistic given that they wont start connecting people until January anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 superhoops1973

Eircom kept telling me my phoneline was unsuitable. I live in oranmore, not more than a mile from the exchange, in a new estate, and I found it hard to believe. I didn't take no for an answer.

At one stage, I went into the eircom store, played thick, and got talking to a nice lady sales assistant who was more than helpful. I accompanied here to a PC where she logged in and checked the system for info on my phone number. Turned out my line hadn't even been tested.

Looks like the left hand in Eircom doesn't always know what the right hand is doing..

Few weeks passed, and I got a phone call telling me I had passed the test. I guess they bothered to carry out the test.

Anyway, I ordered broadband and many months later I still haven't recieved a modem.. I'm sick to the teeth of there inefficency.. They are an absolute dinasour joke
    :mad:

btw: if you live in knocknacarra, I believe they screwed up, something to do with exchange been to small to fit the DSL switch or something like that. only 10,000+ people cann't get broadband out there. muppets

Knocknacarra has been fixed, belatedly.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

Muck wrote:
    Knocknacarra has been fixed, belatedly.

M

Hi Muck,

Do you mean Knocknacarra can get BB now? I thought that they were too far from the Shantalla exchange for DSL :confused:

I'm banking on NTL, in Jan, hopefully...

• Advertisement

RintPete wrote:
    Hi Muck,

Do you mean Knocknacarra can get BB now? I thought that they were too far from the Shantalla exchange for DSL :confused:

There is a Knocknacarra exchange near the hotel too.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Eircom kept telling me my phoneline was unsuitable. I live in oranmore, not more than a mile from the exchange, in a new estate, and I found it hard to believe. I didn't take no for an answer.

At one stage, I went into the eircom store, played thick, and got talking to a nice lady sales assistant who was more than helpful. I accompanied here to a PC where she logged in and checked the system for info on my phone number. Turned out my line hadn't even been tested.

Looks like the left hand in Eircom doesn't always know what the right hand is doing..

Few weeks passed, and I got a phone call telling me I had passed the test. I guess they bothered to carry out the test.

Anyway, I ordered broadband and many months later I still haven't recieved a modem.. I'm sick to the teeth of there inefficency.. They are an absolute dinasour joke
    :mad:

btw: if you live in knocknacarra, I believe they screwed up, something to do with exchange been to small to fit the DSL switch or something like that. only 10,000+ people cann't get broadband out there. muppets

Iam in same position as you only different location.I cant have it out here.argggh,Iam only a couple o miles from fully connected navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dancin_paul

From what I gathered from Eircom, they automatically test the line every 2 months or so. If you ring them on 1901/1907 (cannot remember which one) I think they will perform the test for you while on the phone to them.

I ordered the wireless router from them but I've recieved the basic modem from them! Things just seem to be getting worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They don't perform the test while you're ont he phone. They just look up a database, and the database is updated every so often (I think once every 6 weeks?) with new line test results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Richieno9

I'm in Dublin.I applied for Broadband from Eircom at the start of November and I rang on 23rd to ask why I hadn't received anything. They said they had no order for me and re took all my details.Again I received nothing and rang back. No record of order until I asked for a Team Leader then all of a sudden they told me they found my order but I wasn't suitable yet I had been told my line is fine. I ordered it a third time and once again they couldn't connect me so i cancelled all orders.They admitted that they will not call to inform you of problems.
    I ordered mine through U.tv internet. It's €10 cheaper with twice the download capacity and i have it now.
    I received the Eircom router in the post a few days ago despite being told I was cancelled. A55holes!!!
    My advice is steer well clear of Eircom and never deal with them again....for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭assassin_ie

I live in castlelawn heights and was also recently visited by an eircom rep.i didnt order broadband.As im renting i only recently got the ptsn line reconnected,cn someone explain how the line test works?I checked on both ESAT and Eircoms websites and they both say the line fails,if I ring Esat for broadband do I have to wait for eircom to check the line again or can Esat verify if the line is ok?I CANT BELIVE I GOT MY TELEPHONE LINE RECONNECTED BECAUSE OF AN EIRCOM REP TELLING ME IT WILL WORK NO PROBLEM, I THINK IM THE BIGGER FOOL FOR LISTENING THOUGH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

I've been trying to change to Eircom since September. I've lost count how many times I've called them asking about it. I got two callbacks on my mobile, one (a supervisor) even told me it was all setup and should be good when I got home but nothing had been done at all. About an hour ago I called yet again and was told there was nothing on the account and they asked which service I'd like so they could put it all through again. Heh, no chance.
    I really should have known better but just wanted the lower pings and less downtime. Lesson learnt :)

Advertisement