Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave users please read

• 17-12-2004 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey guys,

Ive been using IBB's ripwave for long time now. I just got their new modem two weeks and ago and everything was fine.
    Until yesterday, I usualy use my main machnie and a laptop both into a hub, which results in both machines getting their own IBB IP address.
    but now the laptop cant get an IP at all, "timeout contacting DHCP server".

Ive tried in Windows XP and Linux and both have the same problem, I even tried spoofing my MAC address in case they blocked it (not sure if i did it right tho).

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

any help would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

DHCP server seems to go down sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

My Ripwave has been bollixed for the past two days.

Getting really tired of this atrocious reliability....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 davestyle

I know, they getting worse.
    Just last week it went down and I had to ring them, few days later it turned out I needed a new modem because they couldnt update the firmware on mine.
    I wouldnt mind as long as they rang or email, but not a word to everyone using the original model.

(to my original post)
    Anyway I can still connect with my main machine but the laptop is still coming up with the same problem. No Connection!
    grrrrrrr.........

• Registered Users Posts: 43 broadband

Don’t moan about it cancel it!!!!!

yea I guess theres no sence in complaining.
    Well I guess Il just have to ring them and ask why I cant get my laptop on.
    Linux says "No DHCPOFFERS received", thats about the best idea of the problem.

thanx everyone for posts :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FatGarrett

i've been getting the same all weekend. their DHCP server seems to be down. bloody annoying. even have a green signal this w/e but no bloody IP address. :mad:

Called this morning to sort out my crappy connection. Like FatGarrett, I have an 'Orange light' but no IP address since thursday.

Tech support said the high-site at guinness' was down thursday, but is now working.

They couldn't figure out what was wrong with my connection, so they are sending me out a new modem? Is there a real chance that my modem just 'broke' or is it more likely that the problem is on their end and I am being fobbed off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Fobbed off I think mate.
    You'll find out soon enough though frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

You could try "Refreshing" your IP Addresses

From the command prompt, type:
    ipconfig /renew

If this doesn't work, try unplugging the power chord from your ripwave for a few minutes and start it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

Our internet connection has been down completely since Friday. Not even locating a transmitter id. We normally connect to BTS 140 which I believe is the ESB buildings on Fitzwilliam Street.

ANyone else have this problem? I emailed them last night but have recieved no reply today.

• Advertisement

Enigma365 wrote:
    t.

ANyone else have this problem? I emailed them last night but have recieved no reply today.

I have never received a reply to an email to IBB

I had that problem with the no IP address last week. Turns out I did need a new modem. They did a remote firmware update lately throughout all the BTS's and the older modem arent updatable so you have to the new model, fixed my problem perfectly.
    Well Im stil stuck with the no IP address for my second machine but I think my new rig come xmas will solve everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

How do you know if you have a new modem or not? When did they start issuing them? I have mine since the end of August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Eglinton wrote:
    How do you know if you have a new modem or not? When did they start issuing them? I have mine since the end of August.

Look in your diagnostics software. On the main screen bottom right it should say Active SW Version 4.1.8 and Backup SW Version 4.1.6 if not then your firmware has not been upgraded.

Is the diagnostic software the Navini Ripwave monitor? If so that has never worked for me when I pressed "run tests" Just shows the red circles without identifying what they are for. The signal strength and quality does show though

ah you have the old software, the monitoring software sucks. Download Navi Diagnostics (not at home at moment, not sure of name).
    Im pretty sure if your using that software then your probly using the old modem too.

A happy sidenote, woke up this morning to check my downloads and oooh fun and joy the connect had dropped since yesterday evening. the MAC State was Idling. THANK YOU IBB ! (and at christmas time, for shame)

Cheers Dave. Is the new modem necessary? And would it cost me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

ballooba wrote:
    Look in your diagnostics software. On the main screen bottom right it should say Active SW Version 4.1.8 and Backup SW Version 4.1.6 if not then your firmware has not been upgraded.
    How do you go about updating it?
    Do I need to ring IBB for them to do it or can I do it manually?

Still no internet, 5 days later. Rang them yesterday and they are bringing out a replacement modem tomorrow. Hope it works. They really have terrible customer support, particularly from the point of view that their staff do not speak coherently or knowledgably.

In fairness to them though, they are giving us January for free and the last time I complained a few weeks ago, they offered a full refund if I wanted to cancel the service. I just wish they had some clue about their service. I have been the one to suggest the solution both times I have had a problem with them.

They also said that they have stopped using the USB modem because its crap so we will be getting an ethernet one thankfully.

Eglinton wrote:
    Cheers Dave. Is the new modem necessary? And would it cost me?

well I needed a new one, they'll bring it right out to your house. And because the modem is technicly their property you dont have to pay a penny!
    They're pretty sound about, dont email....RING. and they deliver right to your door. (or your pizza's free)

• Advertisement

Dont trust the times they give for delivery tho. I was told between 2pm and 5pm today and I stayed in especially for that reason. Suprise, suprise it didnt arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

any links to download the firmware ??

Thanks
    Dec

Advertisement