Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Login/cookie issue?

Options
  • 17-12-2004 11:24pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has already been raised or is already known about; I've checked the FAQ forum and had a look in here, and there doesn't seem to be anything this.

Basically, I'm having problems with getting logged out for no apparent reason, usually in the middle of browsing or after writing a lengthy reply to someone. Basically, I'll have completed my reply and submit it, then get taken to the login screen. Once I log in, I can then go back to my original post (if I'm using Opera) and submit from there, or kiss it goodbye if I'm using IE (like I'm forced to at work) and end up getting annoyed when I have to start over. It's not to do with my local security settings as far as I can tell because it's happening on more than one PC, and I can use other forums (and web services in general, for that matter) with "remember me"-type functions ok on them all.

The two suggestions I'd make, if they're possible, would be:

a) include the "remember me" button on the main screen for logging in, since it doesn't seem to kick in by default;
    b) enable an option in User CP to let me choose to stay logged in until I log out (there's mention of something like this in the FAQ, but I've checked and couldn't find the relevant setting).

I appreciate that this may be a deliberate security feature, but I wanted to bring it up because in the last week I've lost about six or seven big posts, which gets kind of frustrating. I know I could write my replies in notepad or something and then cut n paste, but that's not exactly how boards should have to work...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I had a similar problem a while ago but it just went away. I lost a couple of posts too but since then I got into a habit of Ctrl+C ing all my posts before I submit them in case they're lost.

That way you can just paste them back in. No need for notepad or anything.

It's most likely your web browser though that's not remembering your information, not the site

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have cookes turned on in every browser I use, and the "remember me" function works in all of them for every other site I use that requiers me to log in. And it's not just my home PC, it's PCs at work as well (where I'm stuck using IE with little access to the security sections, but cookies are enabled and again every other site that requires me to log in works ok with the "remember me" function). I reckon it's to do with either the cookie expiration time/date, or how the "remember me" function is working on the current set up. (With no technical reasons to support this, I admit, but it's the most likely explanation I can think of from the above info).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

For Mac users, this is what I did in Firefox, and it worked:

I cleared all cookies (in Preferences, within Firefox on the "Firefox" menu item). Then I went into the Exceptions button in that menu, and cleared the Boards entry there too. I quit Firefox and rebooted.

On rebooting, I opened Firefox and invoked the Boards.ie page, and logged in. Then I went to Preferences again, cleared the cookies again, and then listed www.boards.ie as an "exception".

Next time I came in after rebooting I wasn't asked for my userid and password, and was already logged in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Have tried the solution SteveD linked to, and it seems to have worked. I haven't bothered trying it with firefox yet, but I will do so tomorrow (and I'll also test IE at work cos there's no other option...*shudder*)...

• Advertisement
Advertisement