Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Router Question - another one :)

• 18-12-2004 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I have my wireless router up and running fine. However in netstumbler I can see my own AP and a few others in the area. But I can also see a second network connection coming from my router. Seems to come and go. I wonder is it a default connection that initialises or something. It appears as a second connection in the Windows Wireless Connection screen aswell. The Router is a Netgear WGR614. The first connection is secured but the second one isn't and I can see where I can disable or configure it in the routers control panel.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm beginning to think that the other connection is simply another connection that just up and down. Its just coincidence that its doing it when I'm playing with the settings on mine.

DOH! :o:D

Is there a way to see who is trying to hit my AP?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Depends on how you AP is set up.

If its not open (ie wep and/or mac restrictions) you would need a seperate sniffer to keep an eye on things. Most AP's have a list of currently assoicated clients and uasally an option to do some logging. Keeping an eye on that would give you a good idea.

As for
    I have my wireless router up and running fine. However in netstumbler I can see my own AP and a few others in the area. But I can also see a second network connection coming from my router. Seems to come and go. I wonder is it a default connection that initialises or something. It appears as a second connection in the Windows Wireless Connection screen aswell.

TBH that dosnt make alot of sense so im not sure what it it.

Rew wrote:
    Depends on how you AP is set up.

If its not open (ie wep and/or mac restrictions) you would need a seperate sniffer to keep an eye on things...

Its not open. Could you recomend a sniffer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There are no automated solutions. Closesest is somthing like Snort with the wireless extensions. Its tricky so you would want to be pretty competant with layer 2 wifi stuff.

Good time to learn. Doing a course, have a few old PC's here. Bought wireless router, has wired connections too. So I can do all of this kinda stuff. Found Snort. Cheers.

http://www.datanerds.net/~mike/snort.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement