Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What service provider are you with and why???

Options
  • 18-12-2004 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

What service provider are you with and why??? 40 votes

O2
    0% 0 votes
    Vodafone
    42% 17 votes
    Meteor
    57% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Meteor. They're cheaper than O2 and Vodafone. And you get free txt messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Meteor

+Free MMS/SMS
    +Cheapest Network....by a landslide
    +No coverage issues
    +They give me free credit
    +Dropped call compensation
    +I can roam in more countries than O2 and Voda bill pay and i'm pay as you go!
    +No congestion, I'm confident I'll be able to call my Meteor friends on New Years
    +Free voicemail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Vodafone..............someone else picks up the tab..............

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I use both Vodafone and Meteor (two phones, one's a loan until I decide what network to use for good)...

Meteor are by far the best.

* Cheapest
    * Free texts
    * Best customer service ever! (Though hold times can be a bit long.)
    * No coverage problems (Dublin)
    * Free credit depending on how much you spend

Since getting my first mobile in December 2001 (I never bothered until then) I've been on Meteor, then Vodafone, then Meteor again and until recently I was back to Vodafone but a couple of weeks ago I got absolutely fed up with Vodafone so I found my old Meteor SIM and I've been using the two phones for about a month now and I think I'm gonna pick up a new phone in the new year and stick with Meteor from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I was with O2 and I had no problems with them and found them pretty much fantastic but then during the summer myself and many other friends of mine changed over to Meteor so that we could use the free texts. Meteor are great for the free texts thing but the coverage is not the best down here in Cork and I live in Cork City so its a pretty poor reflection on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

I use all the networks from time to time, but day to day I use Meteor...

Simply because they're cheap and they have never dropped a call on me due to signal... But Vodafone or O2 never dropped a call on me due to signal either...

Meteor No.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Invader Zim

O2 (even though I have to clip my phone to the window to get coverage).

I need effortless roaming, otherwise I'd be with meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Vodafone for me. Ported over to o2 for a year but for most of that year was waiting for the contract to be up so I could go back to Vodafone. For travelling around the country, I've found vodafone to be far superior, especially in south Co.Wexford. Meteor is non existant at my house and is worse than o2 around this area anyway.

Meteor for me. Was with O2 for the last 3 years but was sick of how much they were charging me. Tried Vodafone but left after a week! I didn't like the fact that I couldn't use the ISP just because I'm not a bill-payer, and also that my phone "wasn't approved for the network" so they wouldn't provision me for GPRS.

Meteor are by far the fairest, pretty much everything is done above board. I spend €40 per month so I always have my free texts, and now I can send MMS to anyone and use O2's network at Meteor's prices :D. So all the big stumbling blocks have been resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 morelemonade

wow, im surprised with all the meteor customers.im with meteor myself for all the reasons explained above...pity that their billpay options are crap.free texts are sweet.im surprised they are not offering it to new customers now...

id advise to port to them if you are pay as you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

meteor,for all the reasons posted above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Vodafone. The reasons why I stayed with them:

1. To me O2 doesnt have a good coverage as VF
    2. I'm a premier customer with them and in turn they allow me to upgrade every 8-9 months.
    3. They gave me one month free rental a year, €25 off my next upgrade, free 100 SMS from time to time, etc
    4. When I was our of work, they allowed my bill to run for 4 months without paying and they didnt disconnect me.

All and all, I'm happy with them. The traiff I am on gets me sufficient free minutes. I did think going to Meteor once when my girlfriend had it but she keeps not getting any coverage quite regular and at times for 4-5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭arch20000

I'm with Vodafone and it's a rip-off? I cough up over 70 lids a month. I get something like 100 free minutes but only to vodafone network....and that useless phone a friend for free crapola....I'm not one for staying on the phone longer than 3 mins at a time.... I never use the phone except in the evenings. Even paying them this much, i wasn't entitled to an upgrade until 12 months had passed.

They haven't rang me to ask if I'll stay for another year if they reduce my rental my 20% (That's a joke too).....i'm just getting warmed up here........have u tried interpreting the bills with the stupid comma besdie certain calls?.....hope they ring soon........Me Arch20000....HEAR ME ROAR!!!

Anyway, I could go on for ages, am not a happy camper and am going Meteor but was thinkin of waiting till the new mobile laws come into effect in January to see if it makes any difference....might just go Meteor now though...pity the free texts are gone but Meteor is way cheaper......delighted to hear the roaming service is good

Good day! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Meteor because they are the cheapest. Although I'm not a all happy that their new website can't send text messages with firefox anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

MrPinK wrote:
    Meteor because they are the cheapest. Although I'm not a all happy that their new website can't send text messages with firefox anymore.

I was wondering what was up! just ported over today and I found the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

I can't send free texts or view my call plan with Firefox either. Works fine with Internet Explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I've been on all 3 at some time or other on prepay, and was on o2 postpay for 3.5 years from 1997 to 2000. Vodafone are a complete rip off in every respect. O2 varied somewhat, reception was better, the price was not bad.

Meteor are cheap for you, but VERY expensive for anybody ringing you from a landline. 29c per minute compared to 23c for anybody on standard eircom rates and similar for other networks.
    So that means they will pay €8.70 for a 30 minute call to you instead of €6.90. As most people are likely to be on either o2 or vodafone outside of weekends on o2 prepay they'll pay a large premium to call you.

For this reason and this reason only I steer well clear of Meteor since the moment folks realise how much more expensive it is to phone a meteor mobile they just stop ringing you altogether!

As the Bull Island lady used to say, this madness must end soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Your going by eircom's prices which are in the same league as Vodafone for their charging. There are ~30 landline phone providers now. Many of which I believe offer the same price for calling a mobile phone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

arch20000 wrote:
    new mobile laws come into effect in

What new laws?

I'm with O2, no particular reason tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm with vodafone because I stupidly let them to tie me to a contract. I'll be switching as soon as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

steviec wrote:
    I'm with vodafone because I stupidly let them to tie me to a contract. I'll be switching as soon as I can.

I would steer clear of vodafone at all costs. Their network is poorly run, and there is quite a contention ratio due to muppets wih Live! phones eating up bandwidth on shakira ring tones.

O2 on the other hand never had network busy issues - perhaps they have a better architecture? Alos, fatboy slim, leftfield and dj shadow are cool. Shame about the high cost for the quality service...

Which leads me to meteor - who have been prone to network congestion issues at irritating times (calling a meteor customer from a meteor mobile...can only be contention) but they are cheap and the bill is nicely divided into calls to o2, vodafone, national and so on instead of the indecipherable bills from o2 and vodafone. shame about the inefficent customer care and irritating ads.

I use meteor for the price but I'd rather use O2 for the quality of service

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

indecipherable bills from o2 and vodafone

This is so irritating! Almost as irritating as being billed a month in advance for your O2 add-ons. Im with 02 at the mo. Used to be on Meteor but always got sms from other networks late - sometimes up to a day late. Is this still an issue? Id like to switch back to Meteor but Im tied to a contract for circa 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Vodaphone cause my company pays the bill. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm on Meteor because my Vodafone broke and their offers on phones where dire. I also wanted off Vodafone because my bills just kept getting bigger and the phone a friend for free just didn't suit me.

Switched to Meteor mainly due to the phone offer and free minutes, and I wanted to try them. I don't find them any cheaper. Probably due to my usage, though I've swiiched to prepaid and this has meant me using my phone less and less. Great not ot have bills coming in the door. I don't use the free text, since no one I know has Meteor. I have had lots problems with coverage and sms arriving late and thats mainly been in Dublin City Center.

I'm tyring to get out of using my phone TBH as its a habit more so than need that makes me use it so much. I'll probably switch back to another operator, when I get a good deal. Probably to Vodafone as the coverage is better. Lots of people I know with O2 seem to have coverage problems.

Can you send mms to vodafone via meteor?

I would steer clear of vodafone at all costs. Their network is poorly run, and there is quite a contention ratio due to muppets wih Live! phones eating up bandwidth on shakira ring tones.

O2 on the other hand never had network busy issues - perhaps they have a better architecture? Alos, fatboy slim, leftfield and dj shadow are cool. Shame about the high cost for the quality service...

Which leads me to meteor - who have been prone to network congestion issues at irritating times (calling a meteor customer from a meteor mobile...can only be contention) but they are cheap and the bill is nicely divided into calls to o2, vodafone, national and so on instead of the indecipherable bills from o2 and vodafone. shame about the inefficent customer care and irritating ads.

I use meteor for the price but I'd rather use O2 for the quality of service

Darragh

Couldn't agree more. I was with O2 for 2½ years and I had very little to complain about them... except that their service cost me an arm and a leg because I don't know anyone on O2 anymore. Constantly paying off-net rates drove me bonkers. I've never had network issues with O2, and never had coverage problems either.
    While Meteor are cheaper I have my fair share of trouble with them. Right now my voicemail is down (for the second time in a month) and I'm not sure what to do. Plus my GPRS is intermittently going down too. And at times it seems that I need to dial some numbers about three times before I finally get connected.
    On the other hand I can't stand Vodafone. I never liked them as Eircell and still don't now. I always remembered Dusty Rhodes on 2FM making fun of callers if their mobile call dropped. He'd ask if they were on Eircell and they always were, lol. Also, having to switch to bill to check my e-mail on my phone is a joke. I'm a bit stuck but I'll probably stay with Meteor for a while, unless they drive me insane with their failures.
    Can you send mms to vodafone via meteor?

Yes, you can send and receive MMS from any network with Meteor now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I was with Vodafone for the last three years but got a Meteor phone for Christmas. Vodafone are a complete rip-off. I send quite a lot of texts and have been getting fleeced up to now. 13c for a bloody text message?!! :mad:
    Meteor texts are only 9c and most calls seem cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

meteor, free sms!

nuff said

Advertisement