Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody have any idea what they're going to do next year?

Options
  • 18-12-2004 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I'm a bit lost at the minute so does anybody have any idea what course they're going to do?And where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Electrical, Electronic and Microelectronic Engineering in UCC. I wanted to do just Microelectronic Engineering but they have rearranged it so that you have to do all three in first year again.

I thinks my CAO picks will be
    Electrical, Electronic and Microelectronic Engineering - UCC
    Chemical and Process Engineering - UCC
    Physics and Astrophysics - UCC
    and then I can't think of anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Yes...eat more pie...at restaurants...they have the best pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Despite the fact that I'm already in college, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Nope, havn't a clue. I'll probably take a year out and goto America, Canada or Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

For anybody doing the leaving who doesnt know what they want to do, dont worry. I did business management in DIT and got a cert in it. Im now on a year out cos i dunno what i want to do. I did business cos i liked it in school but when i was doing it in college i really didnt like it so that's why im taking a year out. I still dont know what i wanna do. Considering a bike mechanic course if i can get into it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

ahhhhh! I'm kinda in the middle of freakin out because I don't know what to do next year. The thing is I'm probably going to end up doing something because I can't think of anything better I want to do...........and I'm pretty certain that's not the best of reasons (depite the fact that I have to be the MOST indecisive person in the world). So, i suppose I'm looking for advice, comfort, reassurance.............something to make me feel better!!! (oh and don't say do something I enjoy, as I enjoy both sciences and arts subjects pretty much equally)
    HELP!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

ahhhhh! I'm kinda in the middle of freakin out because I don't know what to do next year. The thing is I'm probably going to end up doing something because I can't think of anything better I want to do...........and I'm pretty certain that's not the best of reasons (depite the fact that I have to be the MOST indecisive person in the world). So, i suppose I'm looking for advice, comfort, reassurance.............something to make me feel better!!! (oh and don't say do something I enjoy, as I enjoy both sciences and arts subjects pretty much equally)
    HELP!!!!!

If you really don't know what to do, go the other way. Eliminate the things you'd hate doing. Look through the the syllabi for both the Science and Arts courses available. I know there's huge flexability in both areas (often they overlap - I'm doing a course common to both Science and Arts). I remember day one in Arts, with the Arts block in UCD crammed with Freshers at the Subject Advice meetings they'd set up. No-one seemed to have a clue what they wanted to do, so you're not alone! One thing you could do in a general degree like Arts, is that for the first 2/3 weeks you can go to all different lectures and see what they're like and go from there.

After that if you still don't know, then look at other factors such as lecture hours, exams, location of college, lecture size, careers, where your friends are going etc. Try and ask a student for the inside track, and something's bound to emerge for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Civil Engineering UCD :rolleyes: , or if i must in Trinity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

If you really don't know what to do, go the other way. Eliminate the things you'd hate doing. Look through the the syllabi for both the Science and Arts courses available. I know there's huge flexability in both areas (often they overlap - I'm doing a course common to both Science and Arts). I remember day one in Arts, with the Arts block in UCD crammed with Freshers at the Subject Advice meetings they'd set up. No-one seemed to have a clue what they wanted to do, so you're not alone! One thing you could do in a general degree like Arts, is that for the first 2/3 weeks you can go to all different lectures and see what they're like and go from there.

After that if you still don't know, then look at other factors such as lecture hours, exams, location of college, lecture size, careers, where your friends are going etc. Try and ask a student for the inside track, and something's bound to emerge for you!

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm kinda in the process of doing that already, just was having a bit of a freak out as lots of my friends know what they want to do and have known for a while.....makes me feel kinda pathetic. I was at trinners open day last week and tried to talk to the students to get an idea of the courses. I suppose it's just up to me to make the decision at the end of the day, despite my intense loathing for decision-making.
    We'll just have to se............. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stoopidkid

Don't worry! I did leavin in '03 and got into science in tcd but didn't bother goin coz i wasn't entirely sure bout what i wanted to do.. I worked as a receptionist for the year.. It's a good way to earn some dosh and gain some experience. But be prepared to put in extra work to get rid of all the cobwebs once you start college!

Funnily enough im in Trinity now doin science.. Just focus on gettin good leavin results, once you've that in the bag you're sorted! You could put off goin to college for years if you wanted!
    Anyone thinkin bout doin a science course make sure you will be able for the subjects you're gonna take on.. And I don't wanna scare anybody but be prepared for long LONG hours! And a lot of HARD work! But it's great to go in everyday n learn damn COOL stuff!
    Good luck everybody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

If you don't know what to do just put down TR081 as number 1 - BESS. It's in Trinity so nobody can say you're stupid and it's nice and profitable so nobody can say you're poor.

</sarcasm>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

6th year

Following that, well atm I have it down to Architechture or Computer Sciences in UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

yeah, well sixth year first, like above.

then...either law, genetics, medicine, forensics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

in 6th yr ......personally it hasnt sunk in yet (maybe it will a bit when i do my pres on Jan 31st and relise iv nothing at all at all done) Dispite this fact there are decisions i will have to make quite sharpish and i am dumb-founded on what 2do. im17 and i dont know what i want to do with my life. 6th yr crept up so fast on me, iv seen people before me do the L.C and now all of a sudden its my turn. :eek:
    my frnds othr day were talking about college and what they want to do and then about going on to do masters, and im lik WTF! :confused:

Funny Story: iv got a friend and as one of her options she wants to do vetinary, she will get the points alrite but i swear dis grl is unable2kil a fly or spider.........how is this same girl gna be able2 put down a dog or cat, shes jst OTT attached to animals.

Pretty please with cherries on top will you stop using text speak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

y no txt speak?..............will make a note of it though for you!

'y not txt speak'? Because you have a full keyboard in front of you. And no character limit. So no reason to abbreviate words. And on a forum like this it's a lot easier for people to understand you if you use (relatively) correct English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Isabella wrote:
    I'm a bit lost at the minute so does anybody have any idea what course they're going to do?And where?

Don't fret! I do know from experience that filling out that first CAO form is quite scary but please remember that you do have a change of mind option which usually runs from May to the end of July. Last year most of the courses I had put down for February's deadline I did not put down for the change of mind facility come the end of June.

You still have lots of time!

Advertisement