Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to format Win XP

• 18-12-2004 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    This is probably a stupid question but how do you format Win XP, i dont have a floppy drive so i can stick in a boot disk. I try and start in dos, and i can only start in Safe Mode for command prompt ... and i get the volume is still in use, cant format etc.

Any help would be good !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Your question is a bit weirdly put, by formatting XP I assume you mean you want to format the drive that XP is installed to.
    You can boot off the XP installer CD... or failing that, get a bootable cd image and burn it to a CDR and work from the command prompt, also booting from a USB keystick is possible if you have one and your motherboard supports usb booting.
    Just make sure you've got an XP cd (and you know where your cd-key is) to reinstall the OS though o_O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

SantaHoe wrote:
    Your question is a bit weirdly put, by formatting XP I assume you mean you want to format the drive that XP is installed to.

Yeah, thats what i meant ... sorry.
    You can boot off the XP installer CD

that what i did, didn't think i could get one at the time but eventually got it.
    ... or failing that, get a bootable cd image and burn it to a CDR and work from the command prompt, also booting from a USB keystick is possible if you have one and your motherboard supports usb booting.
    Just make sure you've got an XP cd (and you know where your cd-key is) to reinstall the OS though o_O

Didnt know you could boot from USB key ... how would i find out if my motherboard supports this ... would it be in device manager or would i have to find out from the company themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You'd see it in the BIOS options where you select the boot order... or it may be in your motherboard manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Cork Skate wrote:
    I try and start in dos, and i can only start in Safe Mode for command prompt ... and i get the volume is still in use, cant format etc.

Any help would be good !!

DOS is not supplied with XP.
    There is a handy utility call “kill disk” which will overwrite everything on the disk with a zero (partition's the lot) very small very useful utility when needed.

Advertisement