Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectation of P4 3.6GHz on water.

Options
  • 18-12-2004 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Just curious of what I can realistically expect to get out of the chip on decent water-cooling. Intel are supposed to have gone to a lot of effort to stop OCing on the current socket 775, but Asus and Abit have found ways around this, and on some test I have seen the chip went to 4GHz on the heat sink and fan supplied with the chip (I wouldn’t imagine it been a top spec Air cooler if it was supplied with the chip). So on decent water-cooling maybe 4.3 – 4.5GHz?

Motherboard is Asus P5AD2-E Premium 925XE
    Water-Cooler is WaterChill KT12AT-L30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You won't get 4.5 on a safe voltage unless you get really lucky. You should be able to push 4ghz. Id say you will reach 4.2 tops. Depends on chip, ram, mobo, psu, cooling.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

jessy wrote:
    Just curious of what I can realistically expect to get out of the chip on decent water-cooling. Intel are supposed to have gone to a lot of effort to stop OCing on the current socket 775, but Asus and Abit have found ways around this, and on some test I have seen the chip went to 4GHz on the heat sink and fan supplied with the chip (I wouldn’t imagine it been a top spec Air cooler if it was supplied with the chip). So on decent water-cooling maybe 4.3 – 4.5GHz?

Motherboard is Asus P5AD2-E Premium 925XE
    Water-Cooler is WaterChill KT12AT-L30

Im getting 4.25 ghz with my 3.4 ghz 775 stable with prim95.. so you might hit 4.5ghz but as bloodbath said it depends on the chip you get andthe DO stepping and the ddr your using plus if the mobo will it allow you to handle the higher voltage and run stable ...that more or less the same mobo im using only difference is the fbs of 1066 but if you had done your home work youll see that the proformance increase asgainst my board is only something like 1% to 2% so be forewarned its not going to really out run the 925 x by much is it worth that extra money :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

It was only £24 more expensive, but it dose support DDR2 711 compared to the 925X only supporting DDR2 600(which is still break neck speed).

Won’t the Dual Cores be taking advantage of the 1066MHz FSB, when they come out late next year?

I will of course be delighted to get it as high as 4.2GHz but after reading some reviews they easily went to 4GHz on air, so on decent water cooling I would have thought maybe 4.5GHz (wont complain with 4.2 though).

Will know in the next few days when the parts arrive.

Buy the way the RAM is Corsair 1GB DDR2 XMS2-5400 Pro TwinX (2x512MB) 667MHz @ 4-4-4-12

Dubdvd is your 3.4 0.13 or 0.09 Micron?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Dub is running a prescott (0.9 micron). All socket775 P4's are prescott except the EE's. The new E0 stepping is out as well so you may get one of those. Both the D0 and E0's are good. They really suck the psu rails when overclocking though so make sure you have a good one.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Wasn’t sure if he had the Extreme edition or normal Prescott (he is getting some mad benchmark scores).

• Advertisement
Advertisement