Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Poker - Bad Beats that make you think it could be rigged ?

Options
  • 18-12-2004 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

I think most of us agree that online poker is just fine, and that there is no way it could be rigged. But some hands leave you in disbelief.

Today I was playing on Will Hill in the .5/1 NL Hold EM.

I was on the big blind and got dealt pocket Aces. One of the other players raised to 5, 2 others call, and I raise to 20. Out of the three one of them calls my raise.

The river brings A 4 5 rainbow. He bets 20. I think about it, and go all in with about 120. He thinks a while and calls my raise. He turns over a 5 and 8 not suited, which gives him a pair of 5 opposed to my trips of Aces.

Happy days, I thought. On the turn comes a 7, and the river brings a 6, which gives him a straight.

In all my online poker gaming, that was the most unbelievable hand ever. The worst part was when someone said else complimented him on his "nice hand".

Weird things are going on at online poker. But isn`t that what we like? As long as it doesn`t hit us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I am convinced the Fitz is rigged the amount of times Ive lost to runner runners is beyond belief, I dont know about online but offline is definitely rigged, but then again like a few people on here Ive never lost with Aces and Ive gotten them 387 times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

You were almost 85% favourite to take down the pot pre-flop and post, well disgustingly, 97.45 favourite.

You were v.ul and that guy was in that 2.55% chance.

Do not be disheartened and most importantly don't let yourself go on tilt. Just the other day i lost 780 bucks on one hand, i had built up a stack of nearly 1.5k on a 2/4 table on 365.

Dealt a pair of bullets, UTG makes it 150 to go, folds to me and put the guy all in. he flips over 23o and hits a runner runner......with an A on the flop.

Think long term, idiots like this you will destroy the majority of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I don't think it's rigged as such, but I have noticed a pattern (any second now Hector will jump in with "it's only a pattern because you're looking for it :), and he's probably right, but still)

Everytime I've logged onto a cash game in the last 3 weeks, and it's been almost every day, the first hand I'm dealt I win on. I'm either dealt a strong PP or hit a straight or flush by the turn...

coincidence, luck, rigging, or just me wanting to believe it's true...

The truth is out there :D

On a similar note to the first post I was playing in a micro game last night and had J7h on the BB, no raise so I saw the flop, flop was 7c Ad Jc, UTG bets $2 into a pot with only .48c in it, all the other players fold.

UTG has $9 left and was playing loosely so I put him on Jx or A with a very low kicker, I raise him all-in expecting him to fold, but no, just as he's running out of time he calls.

Turns over 9d Kc...wtf?

Turn is 5c river is 3c and he wins with a flush....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Saw an amusing hand yesterday as well.. Three players with pocket jacks, kings and Aces. Flop comes J,K, rag, giving two of them trips. All-ins all round. Kings hold-up.. Must be an awful pisser to see your pocket Aces and trip jacks lose in a situation where you must be fairly convinced you've taken down the pot..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I was in the middle stages of an online SNG and was in the BB and middling stack with about 2K with blinds 50-100. I'm holding KhQh, there's a limper ahead and when the button limps and SB complete, I decide to have a stab at the pot right there, popping it up to 500. They all fold except the button who flat calls.

Flop comes:
    Ah As 3h

and I'm to act. Right now I'm thinking that I've got the nut flush draw which is nice and that I might well be ahead if the button isn't holding a pocket pair. If the button is holding an Ace (I reckoned) then he can't be too happy with it having passed up two oppurtunities to raise with it on the button. I think I have a slight chance of folding that Ace if I push now (him holding A4, A5, A6) convincing him that he's out kickered and some legitimacy being lent to the bet because of my flush draw.

So I push. Reckoing I could be ahead and if I'm being I have outs to the flush anyway. He doesn't take much time in calling given that he does in fact have a pretty good kicker for his Ace. Another Ace. Dunno why he didn't raise preflop, the nutcase. So I've managed to find myself semi-bluffing into a poker of fúcking Aces. Sweet. I'm mentally sitting up from the table and preparing to close the screen when the turn brings the 10h and my now useless flush. I was still sour about that when the river brought the Jh and for some reason the chips were pushed towards me.

I hadn't actually realised that I had any outs whatsoever. As it turns out I had caught two perfect cards for a runner runner royal flush, to beat a poker of aces. So online poker is rigged. Rigged in my favour!

I still managed to bubble in the sit and go. btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

DapperGent wrote:
    I still managed to bubble in the sit and go. btw.
    That's cos you're crap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

There was a hilarious hand yesterday as well. I'm big stack in a SNG six handed and I limp in on the button with KK when noone limped ahead of me. The BB was very aggressive and I thought there was a good chance he'd raise. Anyway the SB completed and the BB checked after a little think.

Flop came K1010 which was nice.

SB checks, BB checks, I think about having a bet but decide to slowplay. Turn comes a 10 which was the only card I feared. I was a bit pissed off.

SB bets half the pot. BB calls and I call again. I was suspicious then and I wouldn't be playing the rest of the hand for my whole stack. River came a K giving a board of

K101010K.

SB goes all in instantly. BB calls and I put him all in. SB was playing the board (obviously) with Ace high. Poor old BB had the 103 for a poker of tens. The BB swore at me. Thank god for the VC profanity filter or I might have had my feelings hurt.

I managed to win that SNG. We were three handed then with my 15k stack playing 1k and 2k. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

There is no better feeling in poker than hearing the words "all in" when you are sitting with the absolute nuts. Happened to me one night in the freeroll. Three tens on boards , I had the other one and the first to act goes all in and was called in four places before it got to me ( I kid you not). I actually had to look twice at the board just in case someone was drawing to a straight flush.

And of course there was the night three kings came out and I checked with the fourth one and Marq went all in with his JJ. :D I like to bring that hand up every so often and seen as I haven't mentioned it to Marq in about 3 days, I thought it was time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Friend of mine playing online, hes a lurker here not a poster so ill fire this up.

Hes holding JJ, bets some decent money before the flop and gets a reraise which he calls and the flop comes with just the two of them left.
    Flop, J K J
    He goes all in for some good money, gets called.
    Turn, is like a 2 or something, hes happy with his poker of jacks to say the least.
    River, is a king, other guy turns over pocket kings :(

Twas funny to see it happen to someone else anyway, i couldnt believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Saw an amusing hand yesterday as well.. Three players with pocket jacks, kings and Aces. Flop comes J,K, rag, giving two of them trips. All-ins all round. Kings hold-up.. Must be an awful pisser to see your pocket Aces and trip jacks lose in a situation where you must be fairly convinced you've taken down the pot..
    I seen something similar when there was 2 full houses (both holding pp's onto a paired board) and a straight all betting to the sd. I also got my first royal flush ever as well as losing with all my pp's except for 2 (out of about 15 times) where I got no action from a preflop raise. Didn't hit trips once with them either. I think I may have played a bit too much poker yesterday :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

I thought online poker was fixed yesterday when I won an STT in 12 hands.

In 12 hands I had AA 3 times, KK, AKs and JJ. The first AA (in the first hand) knocked out two people and each of the others knocked out one. Strangely 2 7o was the 12th hand which won the tournament.

That has to be some sort of fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

No, that's Poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

i took a guy down one night in a MTT on VC

i have AK os and go all in with my chips only to be called by pocket queens
    still in pretty good shape with a bit of luck til the flop comes
    Q 10 10
    and thats my tournament over
    but
    turn - 10
    river - 10 we both have poker of tens but i have an ace kicker

needless to say that was my amazing slice of luck and i bombed out shortly after

Advertisement