Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing an ID3 tag reader

Options
  • 18-12-2004 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

Over my holidays, i want to write a program that will read MP3 tags, and output a standard text file with a list of all the different albums (or whatever). This is purely for learning purposes, to get me good at programming :p

Are there any tutorials around that cover the basics of doing this, or the techniques i'm going to have to use to get it working, that i can use to refer to if i get stuck? Otherwise i'll have to bother you nice people a lot :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Have you searched Google? Google Groups?

There is bound to be a few open source projects on SourceForge that deal with ID3 tags.
    If you don't find info on the web you could probably read/'leverage' the source code there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

daymobrew wrote:
    Have you searched Google? Google Groups?
    I've never even heard of google groups :p I'll give that a wizzbang now. I'm just writing up a text document of everything the program has to be able to do in order to work. Tis quite complicated (for me anyway :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

http://www.id3.org and
    http://www.id3.org/implementations.html

Seems to concentrate on the newest ID3 tag format (version 2).
    If you know perl, there is a MP3::Info module.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

As mentioned, if you're coding in Perl, there're plenty of modules on CPAN for working with ID3s. This article should be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

oops, forgot to mention i was coding in C.

I think i have enough info to get started now, so wish me luck! I've never attempted something on such a large scale. I'm only a little noobass programmer :p

Thanks for the links!

• Advertisement
Advertisement