Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratio of Women to Men

• 18-12-2004 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any statistics showing the ratio of women to men in UCD?I would guess that it's about 60-40 women to men.Is that about right?

So many women... :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

well in trinity it's like 63/64% women, i think ucd has more men tho,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Your best bet would be to ask admin. The would know. You could always put in a freedom of information request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

well in trinity it's like 63/64% women, i think ucd has more men tho,

really? thats so crap I didnt know that :(
    Shoulda gone to ucd lol :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

My First COmm class of 50 has 28 girls in it (just a little over half) Dunno how representative that is of the general population though.

My First COmm class of 50 has 28 girls in it (just a little over half) Dunno how representative that is of the general population though.
    My 3rd year computer science class has about 3 girls to about 30 guys. Is that representitive? :) Suprisingly enough, there are a fair amount of girls doing mathematics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Do one of the biological sciences, ratios can be as high as 80:20, women to men. Of course at senior levels it turns around.

Sarn wrote:
    Do one of the biological sciences, ratios can be as high as 80:20, women to men. Of course at senior levels it turns around.
    It wouldn't suprise me about the biological stuff. Most of the girls do some kind of biological science. You find more men in the majority all 'senior' professions though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

In 4th elec eng its 8 women to 43 men :D Interestingly enough though the ratio of women to men seems to increase at post grad level - I don't know why. In the year below us (3rd elec) its 3 women and 30 men. I don't know why girls don't go for elec. It's probably the least dangerous of all the engineerings, yet has the smallest women to men ratio.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm out of UCD a while. In my final year forestry class there were 9 people- 4 girls and 5 guys. Food science had a similar ratio. As suggested previously- the different sexes tended to congregate in particular core course areas (there would likely be a similar geographic representation on certain courses). E.g. eng would be about 90% male, Comm would be about 70% female, Science 50/50, Arts 60% female, Ag 75-80% male etc. Then in the individual courses there would be weird breakdowns- like a mad number of women doing botany- but all the guys doing physics. Or- in the forestry class all the folk were from Dublin- which seemed a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ruaidhri K

DCU communications faculty is about 60 - 40 in relation of women to men.
    which is nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

A friend of mine is out in NCAD and he says there is a ratio of 80% female to 20% male. That lucky cnut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I know a guy in 3rd nursing. He says there's 150 girls and 10 guys in his class...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i'd rather have it about 50 - 50 or even 60 - 40 if favour of males but then at lleast 90% percent of the girls would have to be hot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

i'd rather have it about 50 - 50 or even 60 - 40 if favour of males but then at lleast 90% percent of the girls would have to be hot.

For a large number of young guys anything female = hot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 enochian is dum

UCD French is about 95% women. In many of my classes I am the only guy. Now contrast that with Eng or CS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

This reminds me of what my little sister's b/f once told me (both were doing their masters degrees in music disciplines at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music & Drama in Glasgow). The population breaks down as follows:

Roughly 85:15 female:male ratio

Of that 85% female population apparently a sizeable proportion were rather .... liberal (according to what my sister). Of the 15% male population, about 90% were homosexual-oriented. So 10% of 15% vs. overall 85% women :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

A friend of mine is out in NCAD and he says there is a ratio of 80% female to 20% male. That lucky cnut!
    Yeah, I'm in NCAD. It's a great place to be a guy, though the ratio is closer to 75:25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Phew, thank jebus I'm applying for computer science. All the more guys for me. Although they'll be CS guys so will that be a positive or negative...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

its representitive of the rest of Quinn anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

id like to think id be a positive* and i do CS :p

*Then again i would say that ;)

• Advertisement

There are no girls in 1st year TP. Poor me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

not enough men in Irish, Linguistics or Psych- may ahve to take a gander in comp, eng or ag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Two of the manlier guys in linguistics (read: boardsies) have also departed for greener pastures so I'd imagine the manliness quotient has dropped significantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

well i counted five today... only one i'd do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

LadyLotts wrote:
    Phew, thank jebus I'm applying for computer science. All the more guys for me. Although they'll be CS guys so will that be a positive or negative...
    Ah now, the guys in my class aren't too bad :p
    (My main issue is that most of them are younger than me, and I really don't go for younger guys!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

In 3rd Med there's 240 people, about half are Malaysian/Candian/American. From what's left there's about 15-20 guys. I'm happy enough ;). Think it's only in our year though, the years behind and below have more guys, but overall in med there's more girls. I reckon it's because 2002 was a World Cup year, a lot of guys aiming for med had taken their eyes of the ball, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

In 3rd Med there's 240 people, about half are Malaysian/Candian/American. From what's left there's about 15-20 guys. I'm happy enough ;). Think it's only in our year though, the years behind and below have more guys, but overall in med there's more girls. I reckon it's because 2002 was a World Cup year, a lot of guys aiming for med had taken their eyes of the ball, so to speak.

nah its just cos us girlies are brainier:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its all about the work people!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

I think I heard before that the ratio of girls to guys going onto third level is 3:1 or something like that. As for UCD I think it's about 65/70% female and 35/30% male. Not entirely sure exact figures though but then again the figures change vastly within courses.

Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Engineering: 90% male, 1% Women, 9% not really sure

Advertisement