Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain degree grades please?

• 18-12-2004 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Hey just wondering if somebody here could explain degree grades exactly to me, what i'm looking for is this

1.1 = > ??%
    2.1= > ??% && < ??%
    etc....

if ya could list out all the grades i'd be greatful because i can't find anybody who actually knows

Cheers

Farlz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

AFAIK in England anyway, Greater then 70% is a 1.1, 55% - 70% is a 2.1, 40% - 55% is a 2.2

I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Lump wrote:
    I could be wrong

You are - my course was graded on a bell shaped curve (it was a physics course) therefore the pass mark for a 1st, 2.1, desmond changed every year.

Having said that you wouldnt be far off the mark with them - Id move them a little higher though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ok.
    70%+ = 1st honours
    60%-69% = 2.1 (since this year.. used to be 62%)
    after that I'm not sure sorry but these two are definitely right!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Cheers for that, thats what i was thinking but wasn't quite sure.

Its just their never really explained that well i don't think.

cheers

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

1 = 70% or greater

< 70% = the bitterest disappointment ever and a waste of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

combs wrote:
    1 = 70% or greater

< 70% = the bitterest disappointment ever and a waste of time

Tell me about it, I got 66.4%

Then again, I'm working in the BBC.... so who cares about grades?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

In UCD at least, they go like this:

1st - 70%+
    2.1 - 60-69%
    2.2 - 50-59%
    3rd - 45-49%
    Pass - 40-44%

When you look at it like that it seems so easy to get a 1st. ;)

*note to self: do more college work

Farlz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

a colleague of mine last year had a job offer pending a british 2.1 - which was 64% curiously he got that on the nose ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

> 40% (or 50% if you're doing health sciences I think) == A Degree. Nobody will care when you have a few years experience.

• Advertisement

briano wrote:
    . Nobody will care when you have a few years experience.

maybe, but in the mean time it matters a whole pile. I'm doing a masters at the mo and I still can't get passed the automated filtering in the online job applications because of my 2.2 at degree level.

uberwolf wrote:
    maybe, but in the mean time it matters a whole pile. I'm doing a masters at the mo and I still can't get passed the automated filtering in the online job applications because of my 2.2 at degree level.

That just put the ****s up me!

it was kinda meant to, kinda not. Don't let it worry you, more motivate you. Jobs are still out there. McKinsay for example require 500 leaving cert points and a first class degree before they'll blink at you. Other specify 2.1 minimum, other 2.2. Really depends what you're looking to get into. And where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I'm doing a masters as well at the moment and one thing I've noticed is the difference in degree standards. There is a guy in my class who gets everything working and can pick up something new and figure it out straight away, but who didn't get a first. Then there are people who did get 1:1's from different colleges but don't seem as capable.

And unfortunatly then there is me. I didn't get a first, and I can't do any of the work. Boo Hoo :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

uberwolf wrote:

Same as me! Damn this grading system. One subject really ****ed me up from getting the 2.1. Compiler Construction, who the **** cares!!!"!"!"%$!^"!6

/enraged

distrib operating systems was my drop.

/vengeful - way past enraged

its a very crude measure of your appitude for learning. I guess they need something. If they took 30 secs to look at my cv they'd be intrsd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

uberwolf - http://www.michaelrea.com/Michael_Rea_CV.doc << my CV.

I care not that my personal details are on there, we all friends here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

Nice ~CV .. I did a B.Sc H.Dip and M.Sc in Software Engineering... so our knowledge would be similar. ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

briano wrote:
    I'm doing a masters as well at the moment and one thing I've noticed is the difference in degree standards. There is a guy in my class who gets everything working and can pick up something new and figure it out straight away, but who didn't get a first. Then there are people who did get 1:1's from different colleges but don't seem as capable.

And unfortunatly then there is me. I didn't get a first, and I can't do any of the work. Boo Hoo :o

Welcome to the real world!!! You'll see that a lot.

College grades aren't very reliable, as theres lot of mupperty in grading exams in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

also it is amazing the difference between departments regarding things like late submissions!! I mean in English Dept. in UCC it is down to 40% immediately for late submissions.. and others it is 3% deducted per week.. how is that fair?!! In UCD at the moment it is 10% deducted per week..

hmm..

• Advertisement

Cork_girl wrote:
    also it is amazing the difference between departments regarding things like late submissions!! I mean in English Dept. in UCC it is down to 40% immediately for late submissions.. and others it is 3% deducted per week.. how is that fair?!! In UCD at the moment it is 10% deducted per week..

hmm..

I'd have to agree there, i'm doing computing myself and i have to say that due to a lack of numbers in my course recently things are favouring us, ie. the grades were dropped from needing 55% to get into the diploma year to only needing a pass.

We also get make ups for nearly everything apart from a few bastard lecturers, this usen't to be the case though.

Farlz

Advertisement