Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL cablemodem connecting two via usb & ethernet

• 18-12-2004 10:03pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question, has anyone gotten two computers connected to the ntl modem one connected via nic card and the other connected usb?
    just have a computer off someone have to do a couple of things to it and would like to have the two connected at the same time
    anyone get it working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I doubt this would work.
    Get a cheapo (30 yoyos tops) hub or router from maplin (www.maplin.co.uk)
    Then you can connect 4 together, and share files between them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I doubt this would work.
    Get a cheapo (30 yoyos tops) hub or router from maplin (www.maplin.co.uk)
    Then you can connect 4 together, and share files between them.

I have NTL broadband, and had a few networking probs that took me a while to iron out.
    Your NTL cable broadband modem will only release one IP address. I.e. You need to have a manner of releasing the IP address to a piece of hardware that can further sublet addresses to any machines attached to it.

Thus- you cannot attach one computer by USB and another with a network card.

Advise- get a router (not a hub) that has a built-in DHCIP server. Plug the modem directly into the router, and then the PCs into downlink ports.

A nice piece of kit that will solve your problem would be the likes of the 3Com Office-Connect router. The 8-port version retails (on komplett among other places) for about 60 Euro. Alternatively a tidier solution might be to go wireless- but then you have wireless NICs etc. to buy and configuring it may not be quite as easy.

Forget about connecting one computer by USB and the other by network port- it is not going to work.

S.

Advertisement