Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Banking Problem

Options
  • 19-12-2004 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Since going broadband, cannot access internet banking with NIB.
    Neither Esat BT nor NIB can help me.........anyone got suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

u cant bank unless u have 56k connection. it a problem on thier side and they aint gona fix it.

just take phoneline outta ur broadband modem and stick it back in ur 56k modem and dial up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You what? You're saying that you can't use NIB online banking unless you're on 56k? How's that work then?

I don't doubt you, the Irish banking system is a sham... but this takes the piss :|

some banks dont have the infasstructure to do online banking at speeds over 56k. my bank does isdn but only recently and wont be doing broadband for quite some time im told. thats aib and irish permanant im talkin bout. not sure bout rest but assume its same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

tinyjim, what error do you get? I'm not an NIB user, but there's nothing about broadband that should prevent you from using the service.

• Advertisement

nib have stated to me that they only support 56k connections for online banking. i asked them bout 6 months ago when trying to find a bank that would support anything faster. something to do with there transfer security something or other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

That's really bizzare... I've got experience with AIB and Ulster Bank myself, and no problems with Broadband... no problems with BOI either so I hear..

i have 22 people working for me and have to send wages in every week by 56k as banks wont allow me to send using broadband. aib included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Thats really weird. I use AIB and BOI on BB for ages now without any problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ulsterbank here.. no problems.. other than they insist you use MS Virtual machine (not supported by MS anymore) and you have to have a certificate on the machine you use it on.. which means only the machine you set it up on or else copy the digital certificate to another machine and use..

Anyway that small gripe aside fine on BB as is MBNA. My brother uses BOI or AIB i think.

Calis are you using that old windows program that dials up (not a webpage)???
    Im sure you can do it online with BB as i know of companies that do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

AIB used to do a business service over X.25 (I think) which required dial-up, but they do an internet based service as well now. BoI's business service works over the internet too I'm pretty sure. tinyjim is presumably trying to access a personal banking service, so let's not confuse the issue with various business banking options.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm confused about what this issue is about. If it is internet banking then I use the internet banking for NIB regularly over broadband. If it is the paypath type facilities then that isn't really internet banking and I believe it is a separate infrstructure for dial-up users.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

That seems really strange to me. Im with AIB and have no hastle using BB. If it is the speed that is the problem you could use a program like netlimiter to trottel your connection down to 56k when you are visiting the banking site. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,441 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Credit card machines use dial-up so that the receiver can use caller-id to verify where the machine is. I imagine they are doing the same with pay-path type systems at the employer end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 tinyjim

I'm confused about what this issue is about. If it is internet banking then I use the internet banking for NIB regularly over broadband. If it is the paypath type facilities then that isn't really internet banking and I believe it is a separate infrstructure for dial-up users.

Just to clarify: It's personal banking with NIB. Worked perfectly on 56k not on BB

calis wrote:
    nib have stated to me that they only support 56k connections for online banking. i asked them bout 6 months ago when trying to find a bank that would support anything faster. something to do with there transfer security something or other
    Lucky you if you got that answer cos when I rang them they couldn't help at all....

tinyjim wrote:
    Just to clarify: It's personal banking with NIB. Worked perfectly on 56k not on BB

Personal banking? That isn't the internet banking available from the www.nib.ie site then?

Personal banking? That isn't the internet banking available from the www.nib.ie site then?

It is, yeah, normal login is at http://ib.nib.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I've used broadband, works t1 line, dial up and even the opera browser on my nokia 6600 fone to use BOI's online banking. Having said that, I dont have nib account, but it could be a security cert issue?

• Advertisement

tinyjim wrote:
    It is, yeah, normal login is at http://ib.nib.ie/

That works fine over broadband - just tried it now.
    What problem are your getting?
    Is your browser up to date re encryption etc?

That works fine over broadband - just tried it now.
    What problem are your getting?
    Is your browser up to date re encryption etc?

The page cannot be displayed etc....

Windows Xp with SP 2 ; Explorer 6.0.2900.2180.xp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 with
    cipher strength 128-bit.

Maybe I'm too up-to-date????

Cannot access it using Mozilla either;
    I have IOL BB on 3 month free trial etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Sounds like a problem on your end definately since it works fine here too on BB. Tbh MOzillla tends to have problems, I've had problems using UB's service with Firefox, but it's likely poor coding on the banks end than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Have you tried accessing any other ssl (https) sites ?

Is the problem restricted to the nib site?

or perhaps your firewall is messing things up for you.

davej

Jorinn wrote:
    Sounds like a problem on your end definately since it works fine here too on BB. Tbh MOzillla tends to have problems, I've had problems using UB's service with Firefox, but it's likely poor coding on the banks end than anything else.

The following are the Security settings on the router:

Internet Security

Your device provides the following filter rules

Telnet Telnet traffic is blocked from the WAN to the LAN
    FTP FTP traffic is blocked from the WAN to the LAN
    TFTP TFTP traffic is blocked from the WAN to the LAN
    Web Web traffic is blocked from the WAN to the LAN
    SNMP SNMP traffic is blocked from the WAN
    Ping Ping traffic is blocked from the WAN

Anything there might be causing this???

davej wrote:
    Have you tried accessing any other ssl (https) sites ?

No problems with any other sites, to date.
    davej wrote:
    Is the problem restricted to the nib site?

davej

Seems to be only with this site

Well whad'ya know!

for the hell of it I tried to access NIB today and YIPPEE!! it works. :confused:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Strange, i use NIB and works fine over esatBT BB.

Make sure you have no popup blockers or "toolbars" installed, they often interfere with the way banking works.

Keep java up to date also - sometimes this is a problem with these sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

tinyjim wrote:
    Well whad'ya know!

for the hell of it I tried to access NIB today and YIPPEE!! it works. :confused:

:)

They must have been monitoring this thread ...

• Advertisement

Serbian wrote:
    They must have been monitoring this thread ...

Seems like it!

Advertisement