Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error letter

Options
  • 19-12-2004 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

I've just received a letter from that bastion of financial accuracy, scrutiny, and probity, A.I.B., telling me I am €15,000+ in arrears in loan repayments, and serious action will be taken in the event of failure to repay immediately. I have a current a/c, VISA, and €1,000 term loan with A.I.B., and as far as I know a healthy trading record with Betfair :) . So it's obviously a serious f*cking error. Thinking of writing a strongly worded letter in response, but wondering if there's any better way to approach it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Bateman wrote:
    I've just received a letter from that bastion of financial accuracy, scrutiny, and probity, A.I.B., telling me I am €15,000+ in arrears in loan repayments, and serious action will be taken in the event of failure to repay immediately. I have a current a/c, VISA, and €1,000 term loan with A.I.B., and as far as I know a healthy trading record with Betfair :) . So it's obviously a serious f*cking error. Thinking of writing a strongly worded letter in response, but wondering if there's any better way to approach it.

ring them up

and then fax the letter in

it sounds like an automated letter. bet it has a facsimile signature . grrrrrrr

it's obviously a mistake. anyone can make one but when a Bank makes one everyone likes to jump up and down ; if another organisation made that mistake there wouldn't be half as much fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    ring them up

and then fax the letter in

it sounds like an automated letter. bet it has a facsimile signature . grrrrrrr

it's obviously a mistake. anyone can make one but when a Bank makes one everyone likes to jump up and down ; if another organisation made that mistake there wouldn't be half as much fuss

Yes...i wonder how many other companies could get away with the little mistakes AIB have committed (overcharging, fraud, general dishonesty) and have nobody found responsible.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Letter threatens to

*refer me to the Irish Credit Bureau (which they couldn't even spell correctly).
    *initiate criminal proceedings

I'm 99% sure the signatures (there are two) are handwritten, which is strange, but given that they are dealing with €15k of imaginary money, perhaps not that strange.

And on top of mis-spelling "bureau", the two cúnts that signed the letter didn't even print their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Bateman wrote:
    Letter threatens to

*refer me to the Irish Credit Bureau (which they couldn't even spell correctly).
    *initiate criminal proceedings

I'm 99% sure the signatures (there are two) are handwritten, which is strange, but given that they are dealing with €15k of imaginary money, perhaps not that strange.

And on top of mis-spelling "bureau", the two cúnts that signed the letter didn't even print their names.

Have they asked you to pay into a specific account?. Are you sure this is genuinely from AIB?.
    Spelling mistakes are not uncommon on fraudulent letters (not to say they are not uncommon on letters from Financial institutions) so I would be suspicious of this already. I know it's very simple, but check it out. It could also be someone taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

11.—(1) A person who makes any demand for payment of a debt
                shall be guilty of an offence if—
    (a) the demands by reason of their frequency are calculated to
    subject the debtor or a member of the family of the
    debtor to alarm, distress or humiliation, or
    (b) the person falsely represents that criminal proceedings lie
    for non-payment of the debt, or
    (c) the person falsely represents that he or she is authorised in
    some official capacity to enforce payment, or
    (d) the person utters a document falsely represented to have an
    official character.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable
                 on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500.

s11 Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Contact IFSRA

Advertisement