Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP - Dodge...

Options
  • 19-12-2004 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

"802.11-standard LAN is a wireless LAN specification that can communicate in a 100-meter range with a transfer rate of up to 2mbps"

saw this on a spec sheet...

Now, i dunno how up to date you are on WIFI standards... Theres 802.11, 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g. the first one, 802.11, was invented in the seventies and wasnt worth a sh1t...but it had a transfer rate of...thats right, 2mbps...

does anyone know what standard it is? or are theyjust messing us around

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 medZer

can you burn/rip dvds onto these tihngs?is it on a umd or memory stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The PSP play .MP4. Nearly any video can be converted to ply on the PSP with the right software.

EDIT:"One of the key features of the PSP is 802.11b wireless networking for multi-player gaming." - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/05/sony_playstation_portable_pics_pop/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

medZer wrote:
    "802.11-standard LAN is a wireless LAN specification that can communicate in a 100-meter range with a transfer rate of up to 2mbps"

saw this on a spec sheet...

Now, i dunno how up to date you are on WIFI standards... Theres 802.11, 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g. the first one, 802.11, was invented in the seventies and wasnt worth a sh1t...but it had a transfer rate of...thats right, 2mbps...

does anyone know what standard it is? or are theyjust messing us around

The lower the speed the longer the range... any reason you need blazing fast network speeds on a portable device? It serves its purpose excellently.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Matt Simis wrote:
    The lower the speed the longer the range... any reason you need blazing fast network speeds on a portable device? It serves its purpose excellently.
    Quick question, and I'm hoping someone here knows the answer to this. With the DS, it's said that only one person needs a copy of the game in order to start a wireless network game with other DSes - everything the other players need is transferred, wirelessly, to the other DSes in range, which I'd imagine would take a rather long time over 802.11b.

So my two-part question: has anyone used this, or read an actual report on how well this works? And secondly, does anyone know how Sony are implementing wireless gaming on the PSP - will everyone need a copy of the game to play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 medZer

Matt Simis wrote:

Matt
    thanks matt....

no no, its just the original 1977 release of 802.11 had some weird high freq and it would get interference if you sneezed... .11bsounds cool to me!

any idea of release dates?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Quick question, and I'm hoping someone here knows the answer to this. With the DS, it's said that only one person needs a copy of the game in order to start a wireless network game with other DSes - everything the other players need is transferred, wirelessly, to the other DSes in range, which I'd imagine would take a rather long time over 802.11b.

So my two-part question: has anyone used this, or read an actual report on how well this works? And secondly, does anyone know how Sony are implementing wireless gaming on the PSP - will everyone need a copy of the game to play?

I have a DS and yes most games have a 1 card multiply system. Ridge Racer will let 6 people ply off one cart. I dont have anyone to play against but iv seen vids of people initaiting multiplay sessions and it takes about 30 secs to transfer.

Others here have DS's and have used it in person.

I havn't seen a PSP version of this mentioned anywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

medZer wrote:
    can you burn/rip dvds onto these tihngs?is it on a umd or memory stick?

The MP4's go on the memmory stick you cant wrute your own UMD (yet ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

definitively no, no idea, but it would be a good idea to implement the old install it on one and then use the disk to load the only MP part onto the others, like some PC games did.

Advertisement