Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL connection disappears with torrent

• 19-12-2004 3:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

I have had a rock solid 1.5mb nyl link for some months now. However over the last few days I have had the connection go down and I had to pull the power out to get it back again - same Ip too.

Now, by conincidence this has only started since I begn using Azureus for torrent downloads. If I have Azureus closed then the connection is fine, once running, after a period of time the connection disappears. It is not a software problem because rebooting the machine does not fix it - only a power down of the modem.

Is there something strange with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

is your modem connected via usb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

maybe azureus is filling up your connection, and the modem can't handle it? I've had the same with a 512k IOL connection until I limited the download rate for the program to 53KB/s using netlimiter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

I had the same problem. I tracked it down to using Zonealarm. Apparently there is a problem with version 5, 4.5 is ok apparently. I now use sygate instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm using an ethernet connection and sygate for firewall.
    Both upload and download rates are pretty low. Still don't know what is going on but killing azureus doesn't fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Are you getting a green face with Azuerus? or is it yellow all the time ?
    It could be a nat problem - I'm not sure how to fix this with ntl - but it's something to do with your configuration of your modem...(Disable the UPnP)
    It could also be zone alarm - there have been problems with it and Azuerus...
    It could be some adware or a dialler thats shutting down your connection down... uninstall Azureus and reinstall it, there's and update out at this very moment.. The problem with some torrent files is that there are a few that are full of virus's - ( Lomalku.ru I'm looking at you !!). Do a adware check..... and spyware check..
    After that it could be that Ntl have some sort of "Blocker" on Azuerus - try downloading Bittornado or something like that it might help..
    Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The newest builds of azures let you limit the upload rate on all of the torrents. set it between 20-25 kb/s and only download one at a time. You'll not only stop the modem from dropping the line but you'll get a massive upsurge on the download line.:) It went over 160kb/s on my computer on the busier torrents and i was able to cut the time for downloading them too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

newbie2 wrote:
    After that it could be that Ntl have some sort of "Blocker" on Azuerus - try downloading Bittornado or something like that it might help..
    Hope this helps

I have no problems downloading torrents with Azureus on my NTL 750kbs connection. So I don't think it's a problem with Azureus. As regards firewalls, I am just using the WinXP firewall and the firewall on my Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

Advertisement