Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese Leaving Cert syllabus?

• 19-12-2004 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

I'm almost certainly going to do this exam when my time comes, but I don't have any information on the course. Can someone give me a good Internet source on it? (One with a list of the kanji required would be helpful.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I'll upload past exam papers and the syllabus later, watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Arigatou gozaimasu!

Alright, syllabus up:

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~pazuzu/LC%20Japanese.pdf

Having a couple of bugs with the exam papers, need to hold on for them a bit.

Dōmo arigatō gozaimasu :D !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Irl_Bren

I did the exam this summer. It consists of three comprehensions, a short section in English on Japanese culture and two essays (one 200 characters in length, the other 320).

There is also an aural and an oral (but not to the standard expected of other leaving cert orals).

Here is a link to a scan of the sample paper that I did (note that I posted it in reverse order by mistake). I've also included a list of all the Kanji you will need to know. This is given at the end of the syllabus as well but it's kind of fuzzy there.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v330/Irl_Bren/Japanese%20Exam/

Do you speak Japanese already? If so to what level?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

Remember me? :rolleyes:

I was in your class in Rathmines..... went to see Lost in Tanslation etc.

Didn't we get that paper during the Summer of 2003 homework?

Regards

I took a course at CTYI this year, where I was taught a number of grammatical points. I'm doing it as a Transition Year thing at the moment, as well as a Saturday morning course. I'm not the best, but after the first on my list I'm probably the best in the other two. Still, I'd only be a 4 on the JLPT, if I even took it ;) . I can read both kana scripts almost perfectly, though, and am getting better all the time :) .

Arigatō Gozaimasu. (And no, I'm not with the Romaji Kwai. It's just the typical Irish person wouldn't be able to read any acceptable spelling.)

Just to clarify, Von Manstein posted that while I was typing.

Hmm, I think you may succeed me as the only one to do the paper and NOT have been attending the Rathmines class. ;)

Anyway, there's Japanese LC papers going back to 2001(syllabus was much more of a pain then). Now, if I could only scan the bloody things...

The Rathmines and St. Michael's courses were both recommended to me by my Japanese teacher in school, the latter being the "Saturday morning class" of my other post, as it was more convenient.

I think they're in league with each other. Anyways, I'm by no means the only one in my class intent on doing the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Irl_Bren

Remember me? :rolleyes:

I was in your class in Rathmines..... went to see Lost in Tanslation etc.

Didn't we get that paper during the Summer of 2003 homework?

Regards

Who are you? No, we got that paper to do as a mock some time around easter 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

The Rathmines and St. Michael's courses were both recommended to me by my Japanese teacher in school, the latter being the "Saturday morning class" of my other post, as it was more convenient.

I think they're in league with each other. Anyways, I'm by no means the only one in my class intent on doing the exam.

I'm in your class, and also a transition year(and also a CTYIer, although that is irrelevant). You'll know me as the girl who mixes up go and roku 99% of the time. My gratitude to those who posted the paper and the syllabus, seeing as we have been shown neither in the class afair.

Liquorice wrote:
    I'm in your class, and also a transition year(and also a CTYIer, although that is irrelevant). You'll know me as the girl who mixes up go and roku 99% of the time.

Well, I've been sitting at the front and not looking back most of the time (except last week, when it didn't matter ;) ), so I probably wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

こんにちは...Can Anyone read that? Oh well. It should say Konnichi wa. Anyways, Guess who mista 742! (742 san...?). [hint: i'm in the saturday class too. ha ha ha ha.] hello to liquorice also :D. So where else does everyone post?

Oh by the way 742, You was just talkin to miss liquorice in our last class (the one where it didn't matter.) remember, WE HAD A GOOD CLASS [NOSE TAP THING...]. Anyways, i shall see ye around the boards. Ja ne.

kawaii wrote:
    こんにちは...Can Anyone read that? Oh well. It should say Konnichi wa. Anyways, Guess who mista 742! (742 san...?). [hint: i'm in the saturday class too. ha ha ha ha.] hello to liquorice also :D. So where else does everyone post?

AWAY, DEMON, AND BOTHER ME NO LONGER! (And は is traditionally transcribed as "ha". ;) )

oh wow you could read it. Kana/kanji away. anyways, you know liquorice, don't you. Btw, am i comin up today?

(And は is traditionally transcribed as "ha". ;) )

Except not when it's a particle. Yurr.

Lantis wrote:
    Except not when it's a particle. Yurr.

No, it's still written as "ha" in those foul roma-ji transcriptions, despite the pronunciation. Believe me. I learned that the hard way. I'm not sure about the direct object marker, though. Is it interchangeable (o/wo) when it's a particle? Is it ever used elsewhere (other than in the name of Susanowo/Susanoo)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 uh_huh

Hi everyone,

I did Japanese for the Leaving Cert. in 2004, after a year and a half's classes in Rathmines. Who teaches the classes on saturday mornings (if there are classes on saturdays).

PM me if you don't want to reveal names.
    Or, you could just ignore me.. :(

uh_huh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Anyone know where one might get the past lc papers?

I have 2001-2004 here, but my scanner's not talking to me. Need to see if I can use someone else's. Or something.

A notice to everyone in the st michael's saturday class: classes start up again this saturday and we got a test on lessons 1-5 in the text book and on the katakana. Happy studying and all see you on saturday!
    じゃね!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

kawaii wrote:
    A notice to everyone in the st michael's saturday class: classes start up again this saturday and we got a test on lessons 1-5 in the text book and on the katakana. Happy studying and all see you on saturday!
    ???!

Thanks so much for that, I wouldn't have known about the test if I hadn't read it here, I still don't think I did very well though, didn't know the days of the week ^^;;;

Edit:
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    Anyone know where one might get the past lc papers?

Examinations.ie have them in PDF format, the page is badly designed but it does the job. They also have the marking schemes IIRC.

Ah, they finally bothered putting them up. The growing popularity of it must've shocked them a bit into doing it.

AFAIK, if you get in touch with the Department, they'll send you out hardcopies of past papers and past tapes. They did for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

How did everyone find the test (St Michaels Class) yesterday? AFAIK the only thing I missed was the kanji for wednesday and thursday. Only got told about it a few days beforehand and didn't give much time to study so i'm not too bothered though. :cool:

Enlil_Nick wrote:
    How did everyone find the test (St Michaels Class) yesterday? AFAIK the only thing I missed was the kanji for wednesday and thursday. Only got told about it a few days beforehand and didn't give much time to study so i'm not too bothered though. :cool:

I'm pretty sure that you were just supposed to write the romaji for the days. The rest was fairly easy but I was a bit out of touch after not being in a class for five weeks.

Say, there are quite a few people from the st micheal's class here. i think a new thread is in order. Away i go....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Linku wrote:
    Examinations.ie have them in PDF format, the page is badly designed but it does the job. They also have the marking schemes IIRC.
    Does this not work for anyone else?

• Advertisement

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Does this not work for anyone else?
    I tried it in Safari, Internet Explorer and Firefox and it worked in all of them for me, but like I said the page is a bit messy... x.x;;
    If your browser isn't up to date try upgrade it maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aoibhy

hi,i recently started learning japanese dependantly,i'm in TY and hope to do it for leaving cert,but don't know where i can find a textbook/exam papers to practice on,the papers put up have been helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Aoibhy wrote: »
    hi,i recently started learning japanese dependantly,i'm in TY and hope to do it for leaving cert,but don't know where i can find a textbook/exam papers to practice on,the papers put up have been helpful.

http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=subject

http://www.leavingcertjapanese.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yip0

Hi! i'm a leaving cert student and i'm doing japanese for leaving cert, would anyone know where i can look for courses and does anyone know is the japanese classes still on in st.Michael's???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MoRocks33

Hey, could you plz tell me a bit more about the st. Micheals course in japanese, i hear its free, but how do i sign up for it? Plz and tnx, Mo xxxx:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

MoRocks33 wrote: »
    Hey, could you plz tell me a bit more about the st. Micheals course in japanese, i hear its free, but how do i sign up for it? Plz and tnx, Mo xxxx:)

Is there any school doing Japanese outside Dublin? Like in Munster? And where can you get the books?:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

im going into 6th year next year and have taken up japanese in school..
    we had it in ty but it was abit of a joke.. but the same teacher took us again in 5th year and we actually learned.. so far i know how to read katakana and hiragana pretty fluently.. and i know a good 100 kanji..
    just wondering if thers any summer courses though as id like to keep my skill up or even improve!
    Send us a message if u know of any courses around the meath/ dublin area! thanks! (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Send us a message if u know of any courses around the meath/ dublin area! thanks! (:

Send a message to me too while you're at it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

This will be the last time I pimp my site on here, I promise, :D but I do hope to have a system where by I refer back to the syllabus after each section - analysis of past papers, etc. So do stay tuned:

http://pervertedcoffee.webs.com

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

OK first of all I'm only going into second year so I know I have time, but I really want to do Japanese for the leaving cert, especially since today I saw that a third of people got A1's on the higher level paper. I know I'm capable of learning it, but I'd like to do it in secret. I'm kind of shy you see :o. Anyway I'm also doing FRench and German for the JUnior cert so I'm wondering how and where I can learn Japanese cheaply or free. I don't even want my parents to know which rulese out buying things online. :( Any advice?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Sentid wrote: »
    OK first of all I'm only going into second year so I know I have time, but I really want to do Japanese for the leaving cert, especially since today I saw that a third of people got A1's on the higher level paper. I know I'm capable of learning it, but I'd like to do it in secret. I'm kind of shy you see :o. Anyway I'm also doing FRench and German for the JUnior cert so I'm wondering how and where I can learn Japanese cheaply or free. I don't even want my parents to know which rulese out buying things online. :( Any advice?????

I'm the exact same although now going into 5th. Don't wanna be called a looney with my Japanese but still willing to give it a go. Really check out pervertedcoffey's site as it looks good and just search the net because there seems to be a good bit of info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

CianDon wrote: »
    I'm the exact same although now going into 5th. Don't wanna be called a looney with my Japanese but still willing to give it a go. Really check out pervertedcoffey's site as it looks good and just search the net because there seems to be a good bit of info

Thanks a million. Really getting into the language now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Found this on the Eirtaku forum via google. It's from about year ago, might be of intrest:

日本語?

Japanese for Leaving Cert 2011?

Why not join a class starting 12th September 2009?

Time: 10.00am to 1.00pm Saturday mornings
    Venue: St. Michael's College, Ailesbury Rd, Dublin 4
    Info: Contact 01 8057794 (mornings) or languagesinitiative@mie.ie
    (or just turn up on the day XD)

Make new friends, learn the language of the second biggest economy in the world, get good results, do something different, find out what's happening where it's happening....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The email address above is at the Marino Institute of Education (iirc). My LC Japanese began with a phonecall to them. I think they have info too on classes outside Dublin. The Japanese teaching "community" in Ireland is quite small, so chances are the person you'll be talking to will know of somebody personally who can teach it, even if there are no formal classes where you live. They're very helpful, and will welcome any call if it means furthering Japanese in Ireland.

Advertisement