Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What BOOKS made you cry?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

heh,I skipped the first part of the silmarillion.. after 3 times trying to read it I just gave up and moved onto the rest of the book, which was fairly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Cried at the end of 100 Years of Solitude - not that it was particularily sad or sentimental - the book just blew me away - I don't think I knew how to feel. Like being a baby and having totally new experience - kind of raw emotion.

I have given birth, but 100 years of solitude was a close second. Only it didn't keep me awake at night so much.[/HUMOUR] You're completly right though, that book is the most unbeleivable journey. I was haunted by it.

Seriously, the Red Pony by Steinback. Am tearing up now thinking about it. Actually most Steinbeck is really weepy.

Also P.G. Wodehouse's last short story 'the girlfriend'. If I could make people read anything it would be that. Conversly one of the funniest things I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Isabelle wrote:
    Outlander - the Jamie (aaach) & Claire Saga written by Diana Gabaldon
    best book ever :eek:

Me too, just started the second book!!

Suzannes Diary For Nicholas by James Patterson is fantastic and far removed from his usual work, was cyring so much reading it!!

Oh and I was definitely crying at the end of 'The Return Of The King'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Yeah a few places in the "His dark materials" trilogy almost had me blubbering. Most of Steinbechs stuff. The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy:
    the end
    also several places in the "A song of Ice and fire" series by George RR Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

This Much I Know Is True By Wally Lamb.

I couldn't get pass the first chapter, highly depressing and I was just after an operation so the drugs where effecting me anyway.

Don't give this book to some one in hospital to read.

I might actually finish it but I don't think I need to be depressed that much. It's one big book.

Anyone read it? should I continue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

theCzar wrote:
    Came close reading "East of Eden" by Steinbeck, like Vibe, i was on a bus at the time, and had to stop for a bit. Big boys don't cry.

Yes! OMG! I forgot about that! I am a grown man but that ending was a tough one!
    And Cathy is the best bitch i have ever read!

This is one of my all time favourite books? :) Have not thought about it in a long time. Must read it again soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Dr. Zhivago, anyone? When Yuri allows Lara to be taken off by Komarovsky and realised he will never, ever see her again.............I have never read anything half as sad as this.

Grapes of Wrath is fairly sad alright. I am sensitive so making me cry isn't particularly hard to do!

When I was a youngster the Lord of the Rings, and even one of the Dragonlance books (when poor old Flint died!!!!), could do me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

I just finished 'The Time Travellers wife', that made me cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

"The Burning Shore" by Wilbur Smith had one of the sweetest innocent characters I've ever read about killed for horrible reasons. I cried shamelessly at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've got two

An Evil Cradling by Brian Keenan
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

LOTR only causes sniffles even after so many readings

but I can see how some of the other books would do the same, including the Bible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

PennyLane wrote:
    Yeah, I got a bit misty at that. The first book I ever cried over, tho, was Bridge to Terabithia (spelled something like that). It's for youth-types, but it's really heavy stuff.

Me too, I sobbed and sobbed through the whole 2nd half of that book. You are completely unprepared for what happens.

I know I cried for lots of other books, I can be a total softy but that is the only one that sticks out right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Glamorama, the part where chloe dies. It did'nt make me cry but it was really upsetting and disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

There was some short story where this woman was stuck in a well and this dog kept bringing her food and stuff. Anyway at the end of it she somehow got out of the well and found the dog was dead. I cried like a wuss damn it. Anyone know the name of that by any chance? Oh I cried at the end of the last Rama book too. <- Bitch

Advertisement