Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

higher idle revs

Options
  • 19-12-2004 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I was just wondering as to whether having higher revs while the engine is idle is anything to be concerned about.I'm driving a '95 mondeo 1.6lx and it normally rev's at around 850.But lately i've noticed it's now revving at around 1200.I first noticed it just after i got fuel on friday.Anyone know what type of things i should check for ?.Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

First thing to check is the pedal, is it free or catching a floor matt or kink in the carpet? Then check if theres a wire or cable snagging the pedal from above. If all is clear then one has to check if the throttle cable is sticking, over time the cable can start chaffing against the shealth and this can often be fixed with some WD40 or similair.

Something else to look at is the throttle mechanism at the air-intake, the picture below is of a Mercedes 190 you can see the metal frame and spring. I dunno if the Mondeo system is any different. Give that a blast of lubricant.

micro-switch.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

Thanks for the help Mike.I lubricated the throttle linkage and got the rev's down to around 950 or thereabouts.I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days.

"Have a great christmas everyone" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

If the car has air-con, make sure its off. The light on my air-con switch went so didnt notice it was on and raised the idle slightly. Just a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Maybe I'm way off, but I notice that the 1.0 yaris seems to idle slighly higher when first started with the engine cold, than when the temperature has come up slightly. Surely this is just my imagination though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All engine should work with higher idle on a cold engine. It helps to keep it going before its warmed through...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

aha, so im not going mad then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

automatic choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

automatic choke

........no choke on a fuel injected engine ! Automatic cold starting device or fuel enrichment only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

fair enough. Dont listen to anything i say, i used to drive a starlet. ;)

Advertisement