Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Of bad beats and cash games...

Options
  • 19-12-2004 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Wandered into the Fitz after work on saturday afternoon, expecting to play the freeroll and bugger off home afterwards.

Freeroll: €50 spent (in the feckin freeroll!) - €100 credit won! Which Luke kindly allowed me to use on the €15 rebuy Hold'em/Omaha tournament that night.

SNG: €10 ten-tenplayer PL Omaha SNG, I hit sweet cards and finally split it €45 each with Amp/Pam, because heads-up Omaha is a lottery.
    And heads-up Omaha against Amp/Pam is chaos theory.

€15 rebuy Hold'em/Omaha tournament: Get off to a great start, second stack at my table, then get stung by a very nasty hand.
    I have AQJ6, A6 suited, QJ suited. I limp UTG with about 4 others.
    Flop comes QJ6 with two clubs.
    My thoughts: "It's unlikely anyone has trips when I have blockers, but right now I'm ahead of the obvious straight and flush draws out there. Bet!"
    I bet the pot and get raised by the button. I call, turn puts 3 clubs on the board.
    I check and call the button's bet. River is a blank. I check/fold and get shown QJ, he didn't show his other 2 cards so as frustrating as it was to fold I think he was freerolling with the same 2 pair as me and hit his flush.

My Question! In Omaha, on the flop, is 3 pair any good? Juan Pablo and bohsman both gave me very different opinions last night so just wondering what the general consensus is.

On we go! I bust out of the tournament and still have the energy for more poker. Sit down at a €50 Hold'em/Omaha table with €100. Floating along, up to €200, down a bit, up to €250, bust back down to €100.
    Then 4 Kings gets beaten by 4 Aces in Omaha. "Bet!" "Raise!" "Re-raise!" "Pot!" "Do you have it??!" "Yeah, you??!"
    Cue mountainous Whoots and giddiness.
    4 K's receives €3850, 4 A's receives €1925, and us other delighted punters each get €275.

The Bad Beat jackpot (which got reset to €2500) was won again about half an hour later at the other cash game table, not sure of the hands though.

Then I go on a run of good hands and turn my €100 (the €275 is safely in my pocket), into €401. I run out the door at 3.30am. I'm slowly coming around to 4-card hold'em... It's *nearly* all about the Omaha.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Aghhhhh! i was at that table! how long did i miss the bad beat by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 deeferdog

quad fives were outdrawn on the river by three sevens, big cheer to see the river come a seven.

punters got €117, think the guy who was beat got about 1250, it was literally his second or third hand at the table....

better than a hole in the head though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Juan Pablo wrote:
    Aghhhhh! i was at that table! how long did i miss the bad beat by!

I could actually feel the pain in that 'Aghhhhh' JP. Unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

lafortezza wrote:
    Wandered into the Fitz after work on saturday afternoon, expecting to play the freeroll and bugger off home afterwards.

Freeroll: €50 spent (in the feckin freeroll!) - €100 credit won! Which Luke kindly allowed me to use on the €15 rebuy Hold'em/Omaha tournament that night.

SNG: €10 ten-tenplayer PL Omaha SNG, I hit sweet cards and finally split it €45 each with Amp/Pam, because heads-up Omaha is a lottery.
    And heads-up Omaha against Amp/Pam is chaos theory.

Indeed. :) I'm starting to change my opinion of Omaha as I understand it more. Of course winning money playing it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

lafortezza wrote:

My Question! In Omaha, on the flop, is 3 pair any good? Juan Pablo and bohsman both gave me very different opinions last night so just wondering what the general consensus is.

About 50% better than 2 pair, ie 6 outs to boat instead of 4. Not a hand you want to be playing against a made hand but usually enough to play against someone on a draw to straight or flush, if they miss you will usually have the best hand.
    I had 4 pair on the turn the other day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

About twenty minutes JP.

Advertisement