Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League

• 19-12-2004 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Do you want a super league is what the poll is asking :)

With the excitment of the CL with the big giants coming up to clash against each other I'm reminded of how much I want a champions league to happen.
    Imagine a league with the last 16 of the current compo in an all out league.
    You could even make it smaller, the last 8 or so, top 2 teams from each England Spain Italy and then one from Germany and one from France.
    With a qualifeir or something to make it fair :)
    How cool would this league be, it could be played alongside the normal premiership and owuld result in 14/28 matches, compared to the current 13 if you win.

It'd be so cool :)
    Why oh why won't this happen.

What we really need is a reformation of the current premiership, changing it to say 16 teams and making the championship the same, so that good teams like say Man City will be playing with the best of the championship teams.
    It'd be good for football, and it would allow some reguarly amazing matchs to occur!

I want I want I want :)

Champions League? 2 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    PHBMossy Monk 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

a European super league would be horrible.

i dont understand the poll, yes i want to keep the current format or yes i want a super league? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

agh i don't want...i don't want....i don't want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

No, Unless Shelbourne can get an automatic spot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, I look at it from another way and think it could seriously improve some domestic leagues. Look at the EPL, since it became the premiership it's been won by a whopping three teams, one of those was a complete fluke one off. Say you remove the usual top three, Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal, possibley even Liverpool. The premiership title race would actually be competitive and exciting for once! Any number of teams could win it and there would be less chance of any one team to pull away and dominate.

I'm really not sure weather I'd be for or against it but it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, it has it's advantages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Now that you put it like that...hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No
    thats an interesting idea, but I don't see why you couldnt play in both.

The ideal situation in my mind would be the following.
    A premiership of roughly 14-16 teams
    A European League of roughly 12 teams

You could have 4 or 5 european leagues by the way, so even say newcastle might be in europe next year :D

Nah, if you're going to do that I prefer the champions league format. Means it stays interesting right until the end and you wont have one team having it wrapped up early on, I prefer the knock out format it's far more exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

All the money would move from the domestic leagues to this super league and it would force more clubs into administration and would further the gap between the top teams and the other ones .

PHB havent you plugged this idea before ?

Not if the domestic sides cut their cloth accordingly. And the gap between the top teams and the other ones would be irrelevent, since they'd literally be in another league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Slash/ED wrote:
    Not if the domestic sides cut their cloth accordingly. And the gap between the top teams and the other ones would be irrelevent, since they'd literally be in another league.

But PHB says the Premiership would be running aswell as this league , this league would just replace the Champions League .

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    But PHB says the Premiership would be running aswell as this league , this league would just replace the Champions League .

Yeah and I wouldn't agree with that at all. I'm talking about if the teams broke away and formed a league.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Its probably the worst idea ive heard in a long time!!!

If you had a league like that all money would go towards it and almost all television coverage would go towards it too. The smaller teams would become smaller and smaller due to less and less money and could be forced into adminiatration and even out of existence. Plus where would the excitment come from if only had one league with same temas all the time.If you were gonna change the teams ie have relegation how do you decide who comes up and from which country.

If its a european league you need teams from all countries but then they wouldnt be the best teams would they. And if this happens grass roots football that produces new players would be damaged by severe lack of money as its the smaller clubs who this youngsters start out to begin with.

Its a terrible idea and lets just hope that idiot sepp blatter doesnt get wind of it and ruin this sport we love.

Advertisement