Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home-Grown Rule

• 19-12-2004 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Here:

and here:
    http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/269304.pdf

Its an interesting idea, with the number 7 being suggested.
    It would seriously cripple some teams if it was implemented, Chelsea coming to mind, with only Terry being a home-grown player that I could think of(i'm sure i'm wrong but there can't be more than 2 or 3 more)

If the rule is something like

Went through the youth system it would be totally crippling to a couple of teams, so I can't imagine if it was.
    United would barely make 7 if this was the case, being Neville Neville O'Shea Giggs Scholes the only regular starters.
    And United have a reputation as bringing in players through their youth team.

So I figure the rule would be somethign like bought before they were 18, where you could add a **** load of potential palyers to uniteds like Ronaldo Rooney Pique and loads of other people.

I think this rule has been discussed before, and is now an issue because of Chelsea and Real Madrids dominance.
    I'd kinda like the rule since I like the idea of players playing for the team they were brought up with, but I'd imagine there will be some fierce competition to the rule.
    I'm just thinking if it was implement next season Chelsea would be utterly ****ed and would have to go out and buy a bunch of amazing sub 18 year olds or something :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

does home-grown mean they had to come through the youth system? if so, and they make the number 7 this is going to ruin football. Really cant see it happening.

chelsea and madrids dominance? of what? Madrid are a poor team compared to what they were. They will be doing very well to get past juve in the next round. Chelsea have a better chance but certainly not dominating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Squads are limited to 25. 4 players have to come through the youth system and a further 4 reared inside the same national association. In Chelsea's case they'd have Terry, Huth and Pidgeley who came through the ranks and I'm sure they'd just name another player in there to make the 4th. The players that have been reared inside the same national association are Bridge, Babayaro, Johnson, Cole, Duff, Lampard and Parker. No problems there. :)

I think its an excellent rule (if it does come in) as it means the Irish youngsters will have more of a chance of making the squads and getting their chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:

I think this rule has been discussed before, and is now an issue because of Chelsea and Real Madrids dominance.

Chelsea's dominance of what ?

Even if Chelsea do become dominant I don't think this rule will change that one bit. All they need is 4 players from the ranks in the squad of 25. Since Mourinho said a squad of 23 is big enough that is effectively just 2 players taking space in the squad of 23 and I'm sure those 2 would be good enough to make it anyway. I doubt any Premiership team would have less than 4 players reared inside England either.

Its good news for the youth at your average team but won't change the likes of Chelsea IMO.

Anway, it will take 4 years before it comes into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Real Madrids dominance ?? How far back are you going :D

Excellent rule though,

smiaras wrote:

True , it would also be detrimental to English clubs becaus the FA already prevent them from signing young players that do not live locally for their youth teams making it impossible for teams to bring through a bunch of really talented youngsters like United did in the early ninties .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I mean dominance of transfer markets.

In Chelsea's case they'd have Terry, Huth and Pidgeley
    Terry is the only one who gets his game there, they'd be forced to use up 3 of there subs on home grown players, something that I'm sure Mourinho wouldnt be happy about.
    It would mean only the keeper and another player on the bench, definally messing things up a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

PHB wrote:
    I mean dominance of transfer markets.

In Chelsea's case they'd have Terry, Huth and Pidgeley
    Terry is the only one who gets his game there, they'd be forced to use up 3 of there subs on home grown players, something that I'm sure Mourinho wouldnt be happy about.
    It would mean only the keeper and another player on the bench, definally messing things up a little.
    As Smiaras said, you're getting mixed up with the match day squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought the point of it was that it was the match day squad?

No, squads will be limited to 25 players (at the moment I don't think there's a limit) just like in Europe. 7 or 8 of those players will have to be home-grown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Wasn't so long ago that players were only allowed 3 foreign players on the team for the game wasn't it?

Seemed to work ok back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

damnyanks wrote:
    Wasn't so long ago that players were only allowed 3 foreign players on the team for the game wasn't it?

That still is the rule, except EU labour laws dictate that it can't apply to EU nationals. Basically, it still keeps out the non-EU players.

damnyanks wrote:

That certainly didn't work for the premiership teams and would not benefit our national team either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

As said it only affected non EU players.
    I think this rule is a good idea, but they would have to implement it properly and then stick with it, not just fart about.
    Would have little effect on Barca anyway, half their team is home grown and has come up through the ranks (Xavi, Puyol, Valdes, Iniesta, Oleguer all starters last night who came up through the ranks and then every player on the bench bar Sylvinho was the same.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

its a completely stupid idea suggested and supported by stupid people.

its a completely stupid idea suggested and supported by stupid people.
    why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

The three foreigner rule in the early couple of seasons of the Champions League was very confusing. Apart from the three obvious foreigners in a match day squad, teams were also allowed players who had spent a minimum of 5 years coming up through the ranks in that country. United were so confused that they left out Giggs for one match and found out afterwards that they could have played him.

The three non-EU rule now isnt much good either as so many players "find" they have relations from Spain, Portugal or Italy that they get an EU passport so they dont count as non-EU.

Youth development should be left up to each FA. IMO its another case of UEFA sticking their noses in where it doesnt belong. With all their money Real and Chelsea dont and will not dominate anything. There are too many good teams and well structured clubs around for that to happen.

UEFA would be better off looking after things like racism and cheating and referees at the Champions League and international level rather than this. Lets see how they deal with the Spanish FA and Real after their recent incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Wales isn't a country... United are just silly :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement