Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMOS errors

• 19-12-2004 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Can anyone give me advise on CMOS set up? My OS is winxp pro. Recently, the first
    thing that display when I turn on the PC is "
    CMOS checksum error, default loaded,
    Warning! A new CPU insatlled,
    Press f1 to continue or del to enter CMOS set up."
    I suppose I have to press del, but I don't know what to do next? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

have you tried pressing f1 to continue? does the OS then load? it sounds like a setting may be wrong in your cmos/bios? have you changed anything recently or added any new hardware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 timcraft.tk

Yes, I presses f1, it SOMETIMES loads, but sometimes it takes me to the options menu to safe mode and all that. And sometimes its just a black black screen!
    I din't change anything recently.
    What should I do in the CMOS thingy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Just saving the BIOS settings and exiting should recalculate the cmos checksum to the correct value... but there's probably a deeper issue here, some viruses can overwrite parts of the cmos, so it'd definitly be worth scanning once you get into windows.
    Another possibility is a failing/failed cmos battery, which is pretty much just a watch battery attached to the motherboard to save the BIOS settings... easy enough to replace if that's the problem.

Advertisement