Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy ur manga/anime dvds?

Options
  • 19-12-2004 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

The lack of it in shops in Ireland is a shame. I normally just browse ebay, and then use the same user to get me others that are hard to find very reasonable, also GK World has a massive selection of stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Forbidden Planet, Sub City and Amazon.co.uk.

Though I don't watch/read a whole lot of the stuff and I usually just stick to the Miyazaki films. The best of those can be bought in any good stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

www.dvdsoon.com (R1)
    www.cdwow.com.hk (got the 8 disc Eva boxset off there for about €80, sweet) (All regions)
    www.ezydvd.com.au (R4 sometimes dual region 2+4)
    www.play.com (R2)

I've never bought any in a shop. [edit]Actually I got Patlabor 1+2 for €20 in HMV.[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

America, if I can help it. That's where I got my RuroKen manga and GT dvd's anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Calm Horizons

www.dvdpacific.com

Dead cheap, huge selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

DVDPacific here, too. Very good prices, if you dont get hit for customs :)

They got hit a few months back by hacking, and a lot of their customers had some fraudulent activity on their credit cards, but theyve improved their security since then afaik.

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senbotsu

I get my manga from Forbiden Planet and used to get my anime there too until they stopped selling it. So now I go to play to get my anime (R1+2) and then to Amazon if I can't find a title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

I went to Forbidden Planet quiet a few times but I think the prices are just off the roof!!!! I usually buy mine from France as the choice is massive out there and I also buy directly from Japan from the series of my childhood that I know by heart ;) ... I recently bought the all series of Saint Seiya, cost me a fortune but the quality is there :D ... The books cost nothing in Japan so just for collection purposes I'm buying everything out there in its original content, recently bought all the One Piece Mangas for 50 cents a piece, it's not over yet but at least I've got a lot already. I bought the complete series of Clamp X for 50 cent a piece as well out there.

2 essential sites for buying in Japan for cheaper price:
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp
    http://www.mandarake.co.jp

Mandarake is brilliant, if you contact them directly for books they can get the all collection second hand for a deadly price

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

they take forever to delivered to forbidden planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

www.deepdiscountdvd.com (R1) and www.play.com (R2) for DVDs.

www.amazon.com or www.amazon.co.uk for manga.

Rarely buy offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I wouldn't buy any anime in Ireland. The prices are outrageous. I just usually download fansubs until I go over to Hong Kong and buy lots of anime DVD's. Alot of shops sell anime over there and the prices are great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Ive gone to Forbidden Planet, Sub City and The Third Place in Dublin. Also just got Vandread dvds 1 and 2 in Tower (above Easons) for a tenner each :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Niiiiiice.
    If I'm buying in shops here, then Game (go staff discount, though it's not much on DVDs), Forbidden Planet (though there was NOTHING there the last time I went, and wherever I randomly find it at a good price. Havent ordered much online, but usually Amazon or Play.

Actually the only time Ive ordered online was off cd-wow.ie for the NGE boxed set - at 80eur I felt it was definitly worth it compared to how much it would cost elsewhere :)

until I go over to Hong Kong and buy lots of anime DVD's. Alot of shops sell anime over there and the prices are great!

Aren't they all bootlegs?

Makaveli wrote:
    Aren't they all bootlegs?
    Most HK stuff is bootlegged, so even in the cases where either the video quality and/or the subbing isnt of atrocious quality, it is neither helping the industry nor a great addition to a collection :)

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rosemary

I definitely think there's more anime available to buy in Ireland than there used to be. It's still better to order most of the things you'd want, but shops like HMV have a good few titles now where they used to have none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mikuma

theres a place in cork called Other Realms they dont have millions but its a small bit cheeper then Forbidden Planet and they order stuff in for you if they dont have it...

Rosemary wrote:
    I definitely think there's more anime available to buy in Ireland than there used to be. It's still better to order most of the things you'd want, but shops like HMV have a good few titles now where they used to have none.

Still at rip-off prices though.
    €40 for Vol. 2 of Gundam Wing, that's a nice round tenner per episode. :eek:

Indeed. Especially since i got the whole series (10 volume box set) from DVD Pacific for twice that.

All the same, for the sake of nit-picking - your calculation was incorrect, since Wing ships 5 eps per disc, except the last volume (49 ep series).

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Asuka wrote:
    DVDPacific here, too. Very good prices, if you dont get hit for customs :)
    A

they used to lie on their packaging(undersell) so there packages wouldnt get caught by customs until they got threatened by uk customs, but afaik they're back doing it again :D
    3/4 of my online dvd shopping is with them(cheaper, better packaging/choice/extras etc...)

studio ghibli dvds(and some asian movies) i buy straight from japan/china, since they come with great extras/packaging and have great english subs,
    usually cdwow or yesasia for them.

manga, used to use up1, or forbidden planet(for ease of use)
    play have started to sell a small selection of manga though, worth checking out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I usually get mine from play.com

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Forbidden Planet appear to have stopped ordering in anime by all accounts.
    It's a shame, but I wouldn't buy from them at the prices they charged unless the boxes were laced with gold and blessed by the Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Forbidden Planet are pretty terrible for anime, I remember they charged something like €35 for an Evangelion DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They have about 4 DVDs left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not a big anime buying guy, but I was in Virgin in Derry today and noticed they've got quite a big selection - as does the new HMV.

I think its a new feature in these shops and I was pleased to see it, but unfortunitly it seems to be replacing their forign language film section :( . And they rarely have any sales or deals on any of the 'special interest' stuff anyway.

Just in Sub City - they are really expanging their aniem section, a new supplier starting this month and meant to be stocking lots!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

In Galway, quite a bit of anime in Redlight Records and Sub City as mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Forbidden Planet are pretty terrible for anime, I remember they charged something like €35 for an Evangelion DVD.

It was worse. I had to fork out around €220 for the complete series of Martian Sucessor Nadesico.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Sorry but does anybody know a place thats doing the actual series of anime in significant numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

AFAIK, nowhere in Ireland sells anime or manga series in reasonable quantities now.

I have a region 0 player; Amazon.com is my first port of call when purchasing anime.

Advertisement