Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy ur manga/anime dvds?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Well at least theirs www.dvdboxoffice.com. They actually take cash sent in the post if you send it in Canadian or US dollars.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sounds a bit on the "not safe" (and also sort of inconvenient and time-consuming) side.

I'd prefer to use cred card; it's nice to wake up to anime at the door :P

CuLT wrote:
    Sounds a bit on the "not safe" (and also sort of inconvenient and time-consuming) side.

True but its good to have the option if you don't have the privelage of owning one. They also accept wire transfers (BEWARE: BANKS CHARGE 20 EURO FOR THIS AND YOU NEED A BANK ACCOUNT WITH THE BANK YOUR SENDING IT FROM!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i just use play.com, cdwow.ie or amazon.co.uk... whichever sells the particular dvd cheapest (usually play or cdwow)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

CuLT wrote:

I learnt the folly of this after the first few months :o

*pats Evangelion boxed set*
    but it was ALL worth it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

If anyone lives in or near Wexford, BPM in wexford town have about 15 dvds up the back. Perfect Blue, Ninja Scroll, Detanator orgun, Akira - not sure what else. Not sure if this will help anyone.

I've heard that Belfast up the north is loaded with Anime. Can anybody confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Infini wrote:
    Well at least theirs www.dvdboxoffice.com. They actually take cash sent in the post if you send it in Canadian or US dollars.

I would advise against using dvdboxoffice.com in the first place. Trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Ah, for DVDBoxOffice, I have to agree. They give no indication of stock levels on their website, which means a random added wait on a timescale of months - and their service is ludicrouslly slow even when the stuff IS in stock. I used them a couple of times for import games - most ordinary American stores dont sell games to European customers - and the wait is simply unacceptable. At one point I pre-ordered a game, weeks in advance, after they had put a notice on it saying that they would be getting it on date X. I ordered it on courier delivery because I wanted to be sure I got it in time. Two weeks after date X, it had still not been shipped, so I cancelled it, cursed their name, and told them I wouldnt be doing business with them again.

A

Ouch, hard luck to you on that. You know any other reliable sites that accept cash or international cheques. I've only got dvdboxoffice at the moment as I can't get a credit card. Damn banks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kimmy-koi

Sorry if I'm bumping any old threads or that, but I was thinking I could be of some help to those of you who were wondering.

I too purchase some of my manga's at Forbidden Planet. I personally find them somewhat decent in stock and volumes, though they don't supply many of the latest or most popular mangas in America/Japan until after long release. (Inyuyasha, Naruto, Bleach, etc.) They also have a nasty little habit of cutting out orders for new volumes of mangas, which I've run into too many time’s with them. I haven't found them very helpful when looking for anime undubbs or DVDs.

However! One of the main websites that I have found useful when ordering be it mangas or anime DVDs is Movietyme.com. They don't have a very wide stock, but offer free delivery to buyers in Ireland and the UK.

The few problems that I would have with them are their delivery delays and price ranges. You can pay for your purchases in either Sterling or US dollars, which can lead to some confusion. Their delivery time can be painstakingly slow as they ship their stocks in from Florida which is then received in the UK and then delivered. I ordered 2 Bleach mangas on the 12th of December and am STILL waiting. Most of the time they aren't too bad, though. I've had successful orders with them for Naruto mangas and DVDs.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I hope I've been of help to some. ^^;
    ~Kimmy-koi

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Thanks for the info, looks like it's worth checking out, prices are reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Sometimes tower on Wicklow Street has some good animes, however some of these can be for the Australian, New Zealand region. But if you have a region zero player then theres no problem cause some of those dvds are only a tenner. It's also a good place to pick up Asian movies if you like those, got myself a Special Edition Ichi The killer there a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Kimmy-koi wrote:

I too purchase some of my manga's at Forbidden Planet. I personally find them somewhat decent in stock and volumes, though they don't supply many of the latest or most popular mangas in America/Japan until after long release. (Inyuyasha, Naruto, Bleach, etc.) They also have a nasty little habit of cutting out orders for new volumes of mangas, which I've run into too many time’s with them.
    ~Kimmy-koi

Indeed. This is especially true with Viz titles. Their whole thing of getting 1 random volume of a series and leaving it at that, is starting to really get on my nerves....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kurenai

Anybody know where to get viz media manga books off the internet?

I don't wanna get them from amazon.
    Any sage-like advice anyone can give me?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

The Book Depository

Free delivery and just as fast as PLAY.com

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Most of my manga is on vhs,because i started collecting it way back in 99 and you could only get it ON vhs back then,but i normally buy it in vibes and scribes or else other realms in cork city.even THOUGH i have'nt brought anything in a long time because theres nothing out there that tickles my fancy :( oh and i use amazon too,you can still the old school manga films still on vhs on that site :) and i think vhs is better too because there none of that region 1 or region 46 bull **** haha,im gonna get cursed at for saying but sure what the heck :D IM gonna go on amazon right now and order some :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sibbysims

I don't know where you are based but Khan's Books in Kilkenny have started selling Manga comics and books. Dead cheap but good. I found them cheaper than buying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I havent looked in a shop in Ireland for a while now.

I may do so over and weekend and edit this post accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

.....buy?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Overheal wrote: »
    .....buy?!

Boo-urns!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

forbidden planet, tower records and subcity usually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Overheal wrote: »
    .....buy?!

Haha!

If I was going to buy them it would be from an online store or something. Sorry but they have the cheek to charge nearly thirty euro for those bloody studio ghibli dvd's and foreign dvds in general, I'm not even going to look at what they charge for anime series or mangas!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

For manga, it's usually;
    Borders (huge selection, though it's not updated too often)
    Chapters (some second-hand stuff cheap, and some obscure stuff)
    Sub-City (for older stuff)
    Story (back-issues and really ancient treasure titles there)
    and as for online...
    The Book Depository (cheaper than Amazon, and they stock a lot of OOP stuff, and of course the free shipping!)

Anime-wise; well, I don't usually buy anime (or download, if that's what you're thinking). I'm very selective about what I watch. What I have in my small collection is mostly feature-length stuff from Manga Ent. and Sony. I almost always get them from HMV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Sub-City (for older stuff)

Is that a website?or an actual shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

its a shop in the dublin city centre

rejkin wrote: »
    its a shop in the dublin city centre

where abouts in the city is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭frozenbullet

Thanks Op :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

where abouts in the city is it?

address and map in this thread in the comics forum

• Advertisement

thank you.

Advertisement