Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem connecting 2 pcs

Options
  • 19-12-2004 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi,

i have two pcs connected with a crossover cable, (premium snagless patch cable)
    theres a red x on the network icon saying the cable is unplugged on both pcs, i have tried giving ip addresses to both pcs and cant ping any of them from either machine or even ping the ip of the machine itself,
    i want to use them to play games, the servers dont show up,

any ideas and help would be much appreciated!!!!

oh and its win2k on both pcs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

"premium snagless patch cable" what do you mean by this???

if that was printed on the cable/packaging then you have the wrong cable, for connecting two pcs you require a crossover cable. patch cable is used for connecting to networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

yeah thats what it said on the cable, some worker in pc world told me that it was a crossover cable, its cat6,

if i get the correct cable, it would just work automatically then?? or would i need to do something?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

confetti wrote:
    some worker in pc world told me that it was a crossover cable, its cat6,
    Lesson #291: never listen to people who work in pc world.
    Ok, handbag-swinging aside, I'm inclined to agree with kdouglas, "patch cable" to my mind suggests a straight-wired cable used to connect you to a hub/switch etc etc.
    You can tell straight off which cable you've got if you line the plugs up beside eachother and look at the colour of the wiring (assuming the plugs are transparent), a patch cable will have the colours in the same order on both ends of the cable, where as a crossover cable will have (iirc) pins 1 and 3 ..and.. 2 and 6 swapped (ie. different on each end).
    confetti wrote:
    if i get the correct cable, it would just work automatically then?? or would i need to do something?
    Well it point-blank won't work with a patch cable, unless you get, say, a hub and a second patch cable... but in this case replacing the patch cable with a crossover cable should do the trick nicely.
    Go back to PC world and ask them to swap it for an actual crossover cable.

yeah ill go back so, shower of bastards

thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Alternatively, if you work in an IT company, or a company with an IT department, they'll usually have the necessary equipment to lash a cross-over cable together for you. Only takes seconds and costs a few pence (be nice to them and buy them a pint some time)...

Then get a refund from PC world, and call them names.

• Advertisement

yeah wouldnt mind giving some abuse to pc world alright
    that cable cost me 18 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

confetti wrote:
    that cable cost me 18 euros
    :eek: What length is it?! :eek:

7 foot

yeah i got ripped off i know,

i picked up a unex nexhub for free though so things arent so bad now