Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1200 PC - Have a look before I buy please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Only 5weeks after ordering the PC, I finally have it put together. The replacement HDD arrived today. Everything seems to be hunky dory, I just need to activate WinXP.

Should I be alright activating via internet? Do they just check your version aginst known pirated version or are they more thorough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

cregser wrote:
    Only 5weeks after ordering the PC, I finally have it put together. The replacement HDD arrived today. Everything seems to be hunky dory, I just need to activate WinXP.

Should I be alright activating via internet? Do they just check your version aginst known pirated version or are they more thorough?

Why you worried??? its not a priate version is it??? ;)

I dont think they are stringent when activating, i used to activate over the phone and it was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

No, it's my own OEM. But probably already activated by Dell. I wouldn't bother with a pirated version. The OS is a pretty important part of the PC. You'd want to be able to trust it with your files etc. That said, I'm gonna try Linux on a partition.

As long as they're not too stringent hopefully I'm fine. I'll try activation online now. See how it goes, then ring 'em up.

[EDIT:] Everything is hunky dory. I had nothing to worry about. The only thing is I was infected with the SystemReg16.exe worm (and god knows what else) while I downloaded windows updates. Manually removed, everything seems fine.

Cheers guys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

They wont give you a new activation key for an OEM copy AFAIK. Had that bother before. Altough that doesnt mean you need to go out and buy a new copy in the shops.....

padraigf wrote:
    They wont give you a new activation key for an OEM copy AFAIK. Had that bother before. Altough that doesnt mean you need to go out and buy a new copy in the shops.....

Just ring them and they will activate over the fone, i used an oem version on a few pcs and activated them no prob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The problem your having with the harddrive sounds like the problem I've had with every IBM Deskstar I've had (4 of them and my brother had 2). When Hitachi bought the brand they were meant to have fixed it but it looks like their still unreliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Shhhhh gline, microsoft might be watching!

padraigf wrote:
    Shhhhh gline, microsoft might be watching!

LOL, microsoft is watching, LOL :p

Advertisement