Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting my Pocket PC to the Internet

Options
  • 19-12-2004 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

You may get these queries all the time so bear with me as a relative newbie with regard to PPCs.

I will have an Dell Axim x50v hopefully by next week. This is bluetooth enabled. I have a Nokia 6610 mobile which has an internal modem (connection thru IR only).

I want to be able to connect to the internet and receive email on the PPC while 'out and about'.

Finding out how to do this seems a little difficult and I am anxious to get info on doing so in Ireland as opposed to North Carolina or New York (as most information on the net seems to give me)!!

My basic query is What steps will I have to take to get connected?

(BTW, should I try to get a bluetooth phone for easier connection between the devices?)

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Well first of all, your comment regarding the bluetooth phone.....
    You would be better off with one, but it will also work using IR on the 6610.

It really depends on how much net access you require. If its just purely for email, you would possibly be better off doing so with any of the newer mobile phones which have email clients built into the software.

If you want to use it for browsing, the best solution is wireless hotspots as you can run at broadband speeds on a PDA in theory! As far as I know, the x50v supports SDIO cards, so you could get a Wi-Fi card for the pda and use it anywhere there is a wireless network available.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Depending on the model of X50 some have built in wifi.
    If you want to connect to internet via phone a bluetooth phone would be better if you can get it. If not you can pick up a clip on bluetooth adapter from CPW for around 50 euro.
    It depends what you want e-mial or internet or both. The connection manager on the pocket pc is fairly simple to work thru. You can get the settings from your network and you should be good to go.
    I wouldn't recommend too much browsing via mobile as it will cost a fortune but e-mail works great.

The best thing to do is wait till you get the PDA and go thru the setup wizard. Pick up the adapter if you plan to keep the phone and post any difficulties you have on the way.

A great place to find loads of help is
    www.brighthand.com or www.pocketpcthoughts.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, just to mention the Nokia Wireless Audio Adapter (AD-5B) was developed for use with Bluetooth Headsets and doesn't provide support for the DUN Bluetooth profile - so wouldn't be much chance of initiating an Internet connection with it

an IR connection could be fine, Bluetooth will just going to offer the possibility that you don't have to keep 'line of sight' between the phone and PDA - there are previous posts on how to set up the Pocket PC and a phone but it will depend on what operator you are with, type of account you have - (ref: About to ask how to get connected...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Thanks guys. As it turns out, a quick call to vodafone put me on-line with an IRda connection from my mobile in about ten minutes. Excellent!! Can surf the web and check my mail anywhere. I heartily recommend the Del Axim x50v btw ... I'm playing dvds on a vga quality screen, listening to music and radio, surfing the web, writing docs in Word, Powerpoint equivalent and Excel, playing games, as well as the usual diary and contacts etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement