Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL USB 351000 problem

• 20-12-2004 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭

im havin trouble gettin online using the USB connection. ive ran the setup exe on the disc and, while it'll detect the modem, i still cant go online. everything is set to DHCP on the TCP/IP settings. do i need to put in the DNS server ip or the gatewayt IP or wat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 broadband

is the modem giving you an ip address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye. i tried ipconfig /renew_all but still doesnt work. it is detecting my modem, just not downloading through it. i have a NIC card installed, would i have to disable that first? im using that now but i wanna use that on the other PC beside me coz it has no USB, then have it so both PCs can go online without having to switch the wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 broadband

has i worked before?

can you ping the gateway/dns ips?

when you start explorer does it prompt you to dial up?

the modem will only connect to one bit of equipment at a time eg...computer/router, the reason the modem has two ports is just to give you a choice of what you want to use on your computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Have you ever got online with the modem before. If not, what is the ip address of the modem/router?

Your NTL modem AFAIK needs to be registered on the network beforehand and your config downloaded.

If you have got on before, contact NTL. They should ask for your MAC address (should be listed underneath your modem) which they will need for testing with bluetools or whatever it is they use to test the modems these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well ive gotten online with it using the etherent port. i cant remember if i did with USB, dont think i did though. ill try ping the DNS/Gateway IPs and get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Most likely a problem your usb. Get it looked at or check your device manager to confirm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

did u plug out the modem when swapping from NIC to USB??

the ip address can be 'locked' to the mac address of your ethernet card and you need to power off and back on the modem. remove the usb lead when the modem is off.
    (leave off for about 15 - 30 secs)
    when you plug back in the modem wait for the (assuming it's the silver modem) 2 lights on the RHS to go steady.
    once ok then plug the usb lead back in. the modem will 'see' a new ethernet adaptor (the modem via usb) and will request an ip for it.

BTW
    is there some reason you want to use usb over ethernet?
    ethernet is a much better connection

Advertisement