Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chip & Pin cards?

Options
  • 20-12-2004 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Will the stores that have chip and pin not accept unchipped cards anymore?

I have a card (debit mastercard) thats issued in the united states that does not have a chip.
    But I can use it here in the stores and ATMs with no problem.

Does this mean once everything is changed over to chip and pin i wont be able to use this card anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nope, unchipped cards will still be swipeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Things will just carry on as before you'll be asked to sign the slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

They're phasing them in so both cards are being accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭SteM

Was talking to a lady from MBNA about it yesterday. She reckons that from 01/01/05 most shops won't accept cards without chips/pins because from that point they'll be liable for any fraud carried out on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

SteM wrote:
    Was talking to a lady from MBNA about it yesterday. She reckons that from 01/01/05 most shops won't accept cards without chips/pins because from that point they'll be liable for any fraud carried out on the card.

I don't know where she gets her information but I've got one of those machines from AIB and there's no mention of not acepting cards without pins and Bank Of Ireland have'nt even started issuing cards with pins (well up to last month anyway).

Its impossible to fade out the signature unless its a global thing, I'm sure tourists will be delighted when Irish shops refuse their visa cards.

And also its not the shops which are liable its the person who discloses their pin number who are liable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭SteM

TIPPTOP wrote:
    I don't know where she gets her information but I've got one of those machines from AIB and there's no mention of not acepting cards without pins and Bank Of Ireland have'nt even started issuing cards with pins (well up to last month anyway).

Its impossible to fade out the signature unless its a global thing, I'm sure tourists will be delighted when Irish shops refuse their visa cards.

And also its not the shops which are liable its the person who discloses their pin number who are liable.

You misunderstood what I said. Her example was if I go into a shop in the new year and use my MBNA card but am not asked or don't supply the PIN code during the transaction then the *shop* is liable if it turns out to be a fraudulent transaction. Obviously if the PIN is supplied in a fraudulent transaction then the cardholder is liable as they are responsible for keeping the PIN secret.

On your point about tourists, I was in Paris in the summer and had a bit of hassle when I tried to use my CC for paying for my hotel because I didn't know my PIN. I was polite, explained the situation and showed them my passport and there was no problem. It all depends on the situation I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bedlam wrote:
    I've asked in a few shops and the response has been "We've been told by our bank not to accept the old cards after February 2005"

They are misunderstanding the Bank. Not all cards will be Chip&Pin in Feb 2005, not even all Irish Cards will be.

Chip&Pin terminals will not allow Chip cards to be swiped. For the initial period, Pin override is allowed, so the customer can sign for a chip transactions, but this is only in Ireland and only for a short changeover period.

Advertisement