Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] McDowell: IRA crime has ended in Republic

Options
  • 20-12-2004 1:36am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Minister for Justice Michael McDowell has said the IRA has ceased criminal activity in the Republic.

In a wide-ranging interview with The Sunday Business Post, McDowell said IRA criminal activity in the Republic “has now stopped as far as I know in the run-up to this particular set of negotiations'‘.

The minister receives regular security briefings from Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy.

“It is very significant. It shows they can do without that method of fundraising,” the minister said.

“There has been a number of incidents involving a number of IRA members, [but] none of it qualifies as major crime and I am not in a position to answer the question about whether the small stuff is authorised or not.”

McDowell said the IRA had stood down its Dublin Brigade, and a number of its members were shot for extracting money from criminals last year.

“After that, it took over direct management of the ‘funding' through its Belfast Brigade.’' However, the minister said the Provisionals remained active in the North.

“Near the border, any tanker passing up a particular road has to pay a stg£400 tax to certain individuals, members of the IRA,” he said.

[Continued... http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS-qqqs=news-qqqid=1126-qqqx=1.asp

the full interview... http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqid=1091-qqqx=1.asp

...Another thing which has arrived out of the blue.

His willingness to speak what’s on his mind, or as some would say sometimes without thinking. Actually, impress/amazes me. Even if I disagree with a lot of what he says.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

It is very significant. It shows they can do without that method of fundraising...

"Near the border, any tanker passing up a particular road has to pay a stg£400 tax to certain individuals, members of the IRA,” he said.

They've got a massive protection racket going on the smuggling of petrol accross the border, so they are 'doing without' the funds from criminal activities in the republic.

Whoopee-fùcking-doo, these people are certainly fit and ready to take their place in civilized society.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

meldrew.jpg

I don't belive it, his going soft on me! Stay true to the faith Herr Flick!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Discrediting Mcdowells statement is a real stretch. the guy who has consistently attacked republicans since getting into power!!

Give me a break lads! The anti-Sinn Fein brigade in here is getting more and more ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Discrediting Mcdowells statement is a real stretch. the guy who has consistently attacked republicans since getting into power!!

How many have the IRA gangs attacked in the same period?

He has drawn peoples attention of IRA activity at time of that organisations "cease fire".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭BCB

Gurgle wrote:
    They've got a massive protection racket going on the smuggling of petrol accross the border, so they are 'doing without' the funds from criminal activities in the republic.

Whoopee-fùcking-doo, these people are certainly fit and ready to take their place in civilized society.

yes and course you can prove all these accusations as well cant you.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

BCB wrote:
    yes and course you can prove all these accusations as well cant you.......

The conviction last month of Niall Binead, a Sinn Fein activist, by the Special Criminal Court illustrated once again the umbilical links between Sinn Fein and the IRA and also the republican movement’s continuing obsession with crime and espionage, north and south of the border.
    Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Cork wrote:

There have been several convictions of IRA members in the last few years for illegal activities, so what?
    Ill go out on a limb here and say that Im sure if the figures are added up you will find that far more gardai and judges have been convicted of illegal activity in the last few years than IRA members in the Irish republic.

The fact of the matter is some people on this board (like society in general) will never be happy no matter what the provos do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

AmenToThat wrote:
    The fact of the matter is some people on this board (like society in general) will never be happy no matter what the provos do.

not at all, i will be quite happy when they get rid of their stocks of illegal weapons and disband, along with all other paramilitaries, i sure most people would share this view

• Advertisement
Advertisement