Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband

• 20-12-2004 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭

Firstly I'm not very technical minded so excuse if I'm asking some dumb questions. I've also posted this on the wireless message board but ain't gettin a response so I'm gonna try here.

I've had eircom broadband at home now for over a year. I have a netopia external modem connected to my home PC. However, I'm paying 55quid a month but don't think that I need the 8GB download capacity and could probably change to the 4GB and then reduce my monthly payment to 40quid. Is there any way that I can find out exactly how much capacity that I have been using so thatI can tell whether to reduce my download capacity or not?

Another thing is that I now have a laptop for work and would like to be able to use the net on both the home PC and the laptop at the same time. Now my folks bought broadband recently and have had nothing but trouble with Eircom...it's a long story but the situation is they now don't have a subscription with Eircom but they still have the netopia modem that Eircom left them AND a wireless modem that Eircom also left for them. Can I take my folks netopia modem and plug it into my laptop to have broadband on both my PC and laptop or is my broadband service directly related to my specific netopia modem? I would take their wireless modem but I think Eircom will be back at some stage but don't think they will be looking for the netopia one.

Finally, am I better off changing to something like Ripwave from ' Irish Broadband' for 30quid per month unlimited download? I heard about them on the radio the other day. Does their package suit having a PC and a laptop connected at once?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Georgey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

http://dslstats.eircom.net afaik

YOUR netopia has two ports : usb and ethernet.

pc into one slot, lappy into other, thats all there is to it.

your broadband isnt tied to one particlar modem but only one modem can be used on a dsl line at a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Click here to find out how much bandwidth you've used.
    Yes you can take ur folks modem n have ur laptop & PC connected to it. I have one PC connected to it via USB and the other via Ethernet cable.
    No opinion of Irish Broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

Thanks guys. I'll try that.

Wow, I can't believe how easy that was!! I just plugged it in and off I went, no software to load onto the laptop or anything. So basically if I wan't my laptop in another room, I now need to run Ethernet cabling to a number of points (or go wireless!!).

My next question is about internet security with my laptop. Because it is a work laptop, strictly speaking I shouldn't be connected to the net at home with it. Is it now likely that my laptop is at risk from attacks, spyware, virus, etc. because I'm connected outside my office environment? I have Zonealarm firewall on my home PC and use ad-aware, and spybot regularly to keep things in check. Should I be loading these onto my laptop? I'm trying to avoid loading software up onto my work laptop if at all possible, cause I doubt the IT dept would be too impressed if they find them and there won't be the proper licences in place for use on the laptop.

fletch wrote:
    Click here to find out how much bandwidth you've used.
    Yes you can take ur folks modem n have ur laptop & PC connected to it. I have one PC connected to it via USB and the other via Ethernet cable.
    No opinion of Irish Broadband

Thanks. I've just checked my details and the most usage I've had has been 9% :eek: of my allowance when I downloaded 766MB in March '04. I need to get off this 55 quid package quick and downgrade to the 40 quid package.

Georgey

• Advertisement

Just changed packages online on eircom.net and it will be changed over in 10 days. They state that they will start to charge a fee for downgrading packages in the new year so be carefull.

I also noticed that you can get their wireless router for 50 quid, this would have been handy and would save me running an ethernet cable around the house BUT once you buy it you are signing up to another 12 month contract with them ....NO thanks Eircom.

Georgey

Advertisement