Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom "free" broadband

• 20-12-2004 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

My Dad signed up for Eircoms free broadband trial. Got it set up grand. He was told it would not cost him anything, hence "free".
    So this month we get our phone bill & find that we have been charged an extra €50.60 + VAT. So we ring up eircom screaming, but no amount of arguing/debating will get it through to the customer service rep that we signed up 4 a free trial and we expect it to be as such. She tells us that we will be automatically refunded the amount on next months bill. She seemed incapable of comprehending the concept that we signed up to a "free" trial and therefore do not expect any additions on our bill. Fair enough, we will be refunded next month but what would happen if we, under no circumstances could afford to pay the extra €61.23!
    Anyways we've refused to pay the extra so we'll see what happens.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Yes, everyone who signs up for Eircom's Broadband trial will experience this. You are not actually charged for the 2 month trial, read all three pages of your Eircom bill carefully and you will see this, however you are charged for continuing with Eircom Broadband beyond the 2 months up to the point of your next bill, in other words, they assume you won't cancel before the trial ends. This is another one of Eircom's customer friendly initiatives ;-) There is no talking to them, you'll only get yourself stressed out, it's just easier to pay the bill and get the rebate on the next bill. It's very bad practice though, but very typical of Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

douglasman wrote:
    it's just easier to pay the bill and get the rebate on the next bill. It's very bad practice though, but very typical of Eircom.

and it means it is not FREE . contact bobby.hannon@comreg.ie and complain

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Fletch, call ComReg's Consumer line on 1890 229 668 and explain your issue.

Or fill in the complaint form here:

http://www.comreg.ie/sections/complaints_form.asp

I wouldn't be contacting Mr. Hannon yet. The girls on the consumer line are trained to deal with your issues and might have a quicker turnaround time. I'm sure Mr Hannon could be quite busy these days.

In your complaint tell ComReg you are directing them to follow-up your complaint with eircom as is their duty. They might tell you that you have to do this, but remind them of their charter where they have to look after you, the small guy. If you are not happy with their actions then I would get on to their manager, who is Mr Hannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

damien.m wrote:
    Fletch, call ComReg's Consumer line on 1890 229 668 and explain your iss.....
    Thanks for the advice guys....will suggest it to my Dad when I go home & see if he wants to...which he probably will 'cause he's very stubborn about things like this

Advertisement