Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hope you can help me out here

• 29-09-2000 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

This is the thing.... Me and my wife have been living here for about 5 months and we both have permanent jobs at IBM. Now.... We are thinking of having a baby. But the thing is that we cant live with only one salary. I've seen so many couple when only one works, so I wonder if there is some sort of "help" you get from the state... not social services but... its hard to explain. In sweden you get 2 things. one is called childsupport and you get around 100pounds a month for each child you have and the second one is parentsupport which gives you around 300-400 pounds a month.

How does it work here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

completely off topic, but where in .se are u from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

also
    have a look here http://www.welfare.ie/dept/booklets/sw4/sect5.htm#5.4

and here aswell http://www.welfare.ie/dept/leaflets/sw42.htm

[This message has been edited by MiCr0 (edited 29-09-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

there is a £45 a month child benefit (which will probably go up in the next budget)if your wife stops working you will pay proportionatly less tax as you will take her tax free allowance. apart from that, if you earn enough to feed a budgie, you'll get fu(k all help. she will be entitled to 14 weeks paid maternity leave (possibly 20 next year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Try contacting IBM HR as well or reading the IBM employee guide (I know the links just not posting them here smile.gif )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭OmiOmi

great help guys. I thought it was the right topic since its humanities... whatever biggrin.gif

So... If I get 22k a year and i'm on table B.. if we get a child and the taxes reduced... what would I get after taxes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

(these are all rough figures)

Now you have c5k tax free allowance you pay 22% on the first 10k and 44% therafter so you should be getting roughly 16-17k after tax at the moment

if she has a child and stops working you'll get her allowances so you'll pay no tax on the firt 10k and 22% on the next twenty (you won't go into the highr band) so you'll get roughly 19k after tax.

these figures could be slightly out of date ( you could check them out at www.revenue.ie ) but the basic analysis is the same

table b refers to your PRSI class and i don't think it will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭OmiOmi

Thanx a million d00d biggrin.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Originally posted by C B:
    ...she will be entitled to 14 weeks paid maternity leave (possibly 20 next year)....

This is a percentage of her salary up to a maximum amount which will just about feed a budgie... sorry i dont have the figures, but afaik, the max is about £173 pw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement